Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stupid matte obeche... I mean, congrats!

That's my guess as to the hold up but I ordered almost two weeks before you and haven't started production yet. I'm in Cali but they have started production on Cali cars recently (also people who ordered after me).

Starting to feel forgotten rather than passed up. My DS says we are right on schedule which means he predicted about 40 days until production start form the beginning. There's got to be something specific about my order but I can't nail it down.

Been through this with a few companies. One said "we don't give our regular drivers gas cards" (well they do, for sales guys). One said "we've been asked and are thinking about it". You're going to do better if you take company owners out on drives and then have them install charging stations that charge per-kWh delivered. Shouldn't be free. If gas drivers see that it is "for a fee" then they will support. Maybe .10/kWh? Depends on the company's business billing rate for electricity.

Buying a Tesla has been a bizarre experience. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Most of June 2016: kicking the tires. Sales guy is awesome. He convinces.
7/4: Order (MS)
7/12: Confirm.
Shortly thereafter: Delivery is August- early September.
8/5: DS says car is targeted to be delivered on 8/12 (70% sure), worst case is early the following week.
8/8: MyTesla says "In production". Not sure when that happened. Feeling good.
8/10: DS says car is stuck at end of production line, may be delayed to 8/13 (sat) or 8/16 at the latest. Reasonable delay, Tesla advised as such.
8/12: Tesla funded in full; installed 240V.
8/12: rep: car is at end of line, looks like they are just missing a part, then it's on it's way; Expect 8/16.
8/13: sold the old car.
8/16: call store, DS out, newbie gets on the line. Where is my car? Rep: it's at the beginning of production. Me: WTF?
8/16 + 8/17: call DS and manager. Them: not sure what to tell you, the person you spoke to yesterday was wrong. It's at the end of the line. Tesla sometimes shuts down a line. It's their modus operandi! Me: this line moves quite slow. when now? Them: we need to get someone from the factory to walk to the floor and tell us about your car.
8/18: DS: production rescheduled to 8/15; now set to complete on 8/28 + transport; "we hope sooner". Me: did they crash my car on the test track? DS: nope. Me: I know the car has a tight turning radius, but why would it go from end of line to beginning? Test driver's first day? DS: nonsensical response. Me: it's time for you to pony up one of your loaners... Then take all the time you need.
8/19: Tesla renting a [petrol] car on their dime... Ostensibly until the MS arrives.

Anyone else been misinformed about the production status or "confirmed" delivery of their car?

nexiolaw: Sounds like a "do-over" car. Looking back over time, Tesla has had a few thousand produced cars that were never sold. (if you add up the total production number they present at their quarterly earnings time minus those sold) and that does not include the "cars in transit" number. I have to suspect do-overs go through a tear-down process and parts re-used either again (wheels, battery, drivetrain) in other builds or become company cars with altered Vin #s, whatever. Check to make sure when you get your car, it is the same Vin # you received earlier.

Nexiolaw- we have exactly the same car except for the trim option, we also have the same delivery center. In fact I ordered one day before you.

I was told to expect an early September delivery. Currently I haven't even started production. My DS has been communicative but it's just odd to me that this process is taking so much longer than the "4-6 week" timeline I was given during my test drive.

Loving! This car! Did ALOT of driving and showing off yesterday. It is surreal, I am finally driving a Tesla :) A few Tesla moments already but that's for another thread :)
Tesla (1).jpg
Tesla (6).jpg