Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up today! My DS said I got mine rather quick, and that Tesla is not First in First out manufacturing. They tool the manufacturing line to "batch" similar options together, hence why some get sooner than others.

I attached a pic of my all glass Pano roof. 1st delivered in AZ.
Did you pick up at new Tempe SC ? How was your experience ?? Any problems noted at time of pick up ??
I have 75D being delivered sometime this month

@pjoseph -- I'm going from a LEAF to a S -- how is the difference to you? I love the my leaf (2014) and the way it handles and drives. I know the S is better but other than range limitations, I would've stayed with a leaf. Don't get me wrong, I love the luxury of the S and the fact everything is better from the sound system to the space but I'm curious how different you feel it drives after a day with the car (note: Leaf had several changes since your original leaf including more efficient heating, 6.6kwh charger among others).

image.jpeg
Passing these on the freeway now is both exciting and tortuous.

That's one option I wish had. I don't open the moonroof at all and it looks great without the bar.

Are you planning to tint ?

Referral | Tesla

I wish they'd include the mounts for a car top carrier on the all glass roof - I doubt I'll open mine much either, but being tall it's almost a requirement to get one form of the glass roof.

Reactions: Mach Schnell!
Picked up today! My DS said I got mine rather quick, and that Tesla is not First in First out manufacturing. They tool the manufacturing line to "batch" similar options together, hence why some get sooner than others.

Congrats! Enjoy the car! How busy was the Service Center? How many other cars were being delivered?

Thank you for this information! Please update us after your delivery. I will be curious if you will be able to see any residual evidence of what needed to be fixed.
Finally took delivery yesterday. Not sure what issues were caught during Tesla QA in the factory, but I did note during the delivery process a few QA issues with the car. There was a subtle misalignment with the front bumper that they noted, as well as a scuff at the very bottom of the car. I took delivery of the car anyway and was told someone would reach out to me in the next two weeks to address the issues.

I've been so busy the last few days and haven't had time to scour the forums, but until AP 2.0 becomes activated, the rain-sensing wipers and the automatic headlights aren't working. Needless to say, Summon isn't working either. I am, however, alerted by the car when I'm close to objects while parking.

So for now, it's manually activating the headlights/wipers and the basic cruise control until the next software update.

Reactions: pjoseph
Finally got an update from my DS (although not really an update). He said my car is still in production (going on 10 days now), but that he anticipates it will be done very shortly. No update on delivery date, but he said they should be able to provide a more specific range once it officially completes production. I wish I knew why some cars fly through production in just a couple of days and others take much longer.

Just received my "in production" email, and it has links to some videos that I hadn't seen about them retooling the factory:

Learn more about how your Tesla is built and see our factory in action. Did you know our current line took 65,000 Tesla man-hours to retool over a period of 2 weeks? Our blog post shows off the factory before and after. If you have any questions about your delivery check out our FAQ page.

Thank you,
Your Tesla Delivery Team

Took delivery yesterday evening. All good. Looks like all the other the other Mc reds. A bit too bright for my tastes, but the signature red is long gone.

17 mi @delivery. ~50 mi driven so far. 4th EAP car in the Austin metro. Down to just cruise control (not even TACC). Miss the blind spot detection but fellow drivers are slowing down and treating me like the Pope.

PICTURES???

Mine just finished production. Took a couple of days. Estimated delivery to Virginia is now Dec. 19th-Jan 2nd.

And to make things even sweeter, our DMV commissioner just gave a very favorable ruling for Tesla vs. our state's auto dealer's so that it's more than likely we'll be getting a store/service center in Richmond only a few miles from my house. Wow. The hits keep coming.....

Just received my "in production" email, and it has links to some videos that I hadn't seen about them retooling the factory:

Learn more about how your Tesla is built and see our factory in action. Did you know our current line took 65,000 Tesla man-hours to retool over a period of 2 weeks? Our blog post shows off the factory before and after. If you have any questions about your delivery check out our FAQ page.

Thank you,
Your Tesla Delivery Team

That blog is dated November 2014. Why would they be sending that out over 2 years later

I'm picking up there too -- hopefully later this month. I assume the Tempe Service Center wouldn't remove the front plate bracket as they told me? Have you checked to see if the bracket still requires a special tool for two of the fasteners? Recent report on this forum indicates those funky fasteners are no longer present.

Finally took delivery yesterday. Not sure what issues were caught during Tesla QA in the factory, but I did note during the delivery process a few QA issues with the car. There was a subtle misalignment with the front bumper that they noted, as well as a scuff at the very bottom of the car. I took delivery of the car anyway and was told someone would reach out to me in the next two weeks to address the issues.

I've been so busy the last few days and haven't had time to scour the forums, but until AP 2.0 becomes activated, the rain-sensing wipers and the automatic headlights aren't working. Needless to say, Summon isn't working either. I am, however, alerted by the car when I'm close to objects while parking.

So for now, it's manually activating the headlights/wipers and the basic cruise control until the next software update.

Thank you randycandy! My car is still in production, but I will be looking at it very carefully once it arrives. I'm actually in no real rush, though, and I would much rather they find and fix any issues at the factory.

I appreciate the update, and congratulations on your new S! :)

Reactions: randycandy
I'm picking up there too -- hopefully later this month. I assume the Tempe Service Center wouldn't remove the front plate bracket as they told me? Have you checked to see if the bracket still requires a special tool for two of the fasteners? Recent report on this forum indicates those funky fasteners are no longer present.

Yes, they won't remove. Said it was a legal thing on how the car is crash tested with them. Takes a special torque/hex screwdriver. (Like apple uses).

MyTesla updated this morning to "Your Tesla has been built and is in transit from the factory". The delivery time frame also updated from "December - Early January" to "December 10th - 24th". I guess next step is to set up a delivery appointment! I'm looking forward to the wait being over.

After repeatedly inquiring as to the reason my MS had been "In Production" since Nov 11th (nearly three weeks) I finally received a response from my DS at 1:29 AM this morning. It Reads:

Hi Anthony,
Our apologies for any confusion or inconvenience. I’m not sure what statuses are being shown via email updates or MyTesla but I think something might have been displayed in error. The normal process is that our Production team begins the final planning for Production of your Tesla and yours is assigned its VIN. We call this stage ”Pre-Production”. Perhaps the site glitched to show a generic “in production” message once a VIN was assigned? I’ll try to do a bit of research and notify some supporting teammates of this situation in case we can learn more about it and try to avoid any confusion in the future from similar situations. Your Tesla is in Production but it only recently began, it’s already at the later stages of Production! We’ll hope to soon learn that your Tesla is finished and on the way to GA! Once we’ve seen your Tesla leaving our Fremont factory, we’ll be able to look at our calendar and choose our Delivery day! We’ll continue to monitor our progress and let you know of any development.

Please let us know if you need anything at all!

Sincerely,
Zac

At 5:30 AM this morning I received an email from Tesla indicating production was complete an the vehicle is being prepared for transit to Georgia. Estimated delivery date December 23 to January 6.

Hopefully it will be here before Christmas :)