Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw in some other threads that people were saying they were also using trucks to deliver the whole route and not just trains. I could see how that would make sense as they get closer to the end of the quarter and don't have the time to wait on a train.

Just spoke with my DS at Tysons Corner (VA) and my car has arrived!!! He said that "...he took a look at it and it looks incredible...love the red color..." So obviously, I'm getting stoked!

My info is posted in the spreadsheet, but here's my info with a few other facts:
Ordered: 09/30/16
Confirmed: 10/07/16
VIN: 10/09/16
Production Start: 11/23/16
Production End: 11/25/16
Arrived McLean, VA: 12/05/16
Delivery Day: 12/09/16
Window Tinting: 12/09/16, 12pm
Paint Protection (XPEL): 12/10/16

S60
Ordered 11/16
Confirmed 11/18
Went into production today per dashboard. No automated email nor DS email.

I'm in Chicago (home of the World Champion Chicago Cubs!) and am stoked.

I know the downsides, but it would be awesome to see pics of the car in process.

I saw in some other threads that people were saying they were also using trucks to deliver the whole route and not just trains. I could see how that would make sense as they get closer to the end of the quarter and don't have the time to wait on a train.

My car came in a tandem truck- 2 drivers taking turns & apparently taking 2-3 days to arrive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahisaac

My DS confirmed mine was on a train. He had "pinged" it on Thursday and it was in New Mexico at the time. But, once the train arrives, they have to transfer it to a line haul truck to the final destination.

Had some time today, spent an hour at my Tesla store trying to debunk some of the misleading info I learned on this site re: options to get car sooner and jumping from order to inventory car.

Take everything you hear on here with a pound of salt...no make that 2. Company policies do not allow certain things like getting a 75D and adusting price for removing anything to cut costs except the 60D limitation. Inventory cars are more expensive than newly ordered cars because of their components and availability.

There is nothing anyone can do to get their car before the scheduled time of delivery.

Check the factors that justify every discount you hear of. It may be unique.

I learned a lot today. Had to leave, someone was taking delivery of a car exactly like mine. Was emotionally taxing.

• Informative
Reactions: techmaven
Hrhkee:
Hang in there.
Remember, it's only a car
You will get the car at some point, just maybe not as fast as you wanted.

Take a breath, get outside, be with family and friends!
As you said, there is nothing we can do except buy a new inventory car that might not have your desired options.

There is a chance you will be batched with us in the Midwest. To my knowledge, only 1 Chicagoan who ordered around Nov 16 or later has gone into production.
I ordered Nov 16 and confirmed Nov 19 and am not in production yet

The chance is small. The tracker SEEMS to indicate that GA was hatched with the East coast.
But remember Tesla wants to get you your car as much as you want them to get you the car, because they need to make quarterly Earnings.

We all agree they could be more transparent.
They could have better communication
But Tesla is a startup still, using Just In Time manufacturing processes

But I hate to see someone so emotionally exhausted over a car. Especially when it'll be at most a few months later than you'd hoped

Good luck!

Reactions: OBX John
Ok I spoke to soon.
I am now in production! At 706am I was not in production. At 707am I was.
(I was playing with refresh wondering if that was actually doing anything, or if I had to log out and in instead)
My delivery estimate hasn't changed yet (Late Dec Early Jan)

Thus, Midwesterners have a lot to look forward to this week!

I'm doing a happy dance for me, but I feel for all of you struggling with the limbo.

@Hrhkee: may you get batched with us

Californians: I'm feel a LITTLE sorry for you. But then I look out to my 17 degree day and my pity evaporates... no it sublimates.

Summary:
Ordered 11/16
Confirmed 11/19
VIN 11/19
Production 12/7

I ordered 60D
Subzero
Black headliner
Black Next Gen Leather
All glass roof
EAP (but not FSD)

My production is complete! It only took 1 day...?!

I got the "Your Tesla has entered production" email on 12/4 at 4:38am and the "Your Tesla is Complete" email on 12/5 at 7:36pm, so I would believe it if there was some glitch where the actual production duration and the duration indicated by the emails don't match up.

I'm Atlanta, so the transit time is pretty significant. The delivery window is estimated to be December 26, 2016 to January 09, 2017, which would make it 2-4 weeks! Here's to hoping they're just covering their bases and it'll be available sooner than this window. Does that ever happen? I'm sure the holidays make it more complicated than usual.

<-----New Jersey Delivery

Ordered: 11/21/2016
Confirmed: 11/21/2016
In Production (email): 12/5/2016
Production complete (email): 12/6/2016
In Transit (dashboard): 12/6/2016
ESTIMATED DELIVERY: December 23 - January 6. <---This will definitely change, unless they're walking my car here from Comifornia.

Someone who ordered their car the same day I did, has a delivery date of December 16th.