Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
silver.PNG

Holy Smokes, so glad I ordered Silver... can't wait.

Delivery at last

St. Louis #442 performance delivered tonight at about 5pm. First performance in STL.
Two other cars on the truck. One going to Clayton, Mo. ( suburb of St. Louis) and the other going to Chicago service center to be re distributed. Lee my DE from Chicago was great. Explained everything in my garage since it was raining and that took a few hours. Also I wanted to take it out tomorrow since this rain front will pass tonight and it will be sunny all week. Ye ha!!
More later

Trying to make sense of Tesla's production priorities is more challenging than trying to nail Jello to a tree. ddenboer recently reported seeing a Production car at the factory with a VIN of 1456 and JasonKelly reported a Production car with a VIN in the high 1300s, but none of the Canadian Sig rez holders have reported getting a VIN at all. I was under the impression that Canadian Sigs would immediately follow the US Sigs and that Roadster owners would then precede those of us with regular Production reservations.

If cars with Production VINs are on the assembly line, why don't ANY of their owners seem to know about it?

If cars with Production VINs are on the line, where are the Canadian Sigs? Limbo?

There have a number of recent posts about the improved quality of communication from TMC, but I don't see it. Last week, I received my third estimate for when I could expect delivery and was advised that firmer date would be forthcoming within a couple of weeks. I remain hopeful, but it keeps reminding me of a certain cartoon character and a football.
LucyFootball.jpg

but none of the Canadian Sig rez holders have reported getting a VIN at all. I was under the impression that Canadian Sigs would immediately follow the US Sigs and that Roadster owners would then precede those of us with regular Production reservations.

I don't recall at the moment in which thread it was, but it was stated that for a small number of reasons, one of them being the requirement for bi-lingual software, the production (or delivery) of canadian sigs has to wait a little. In order not to waste time, they are producing something else in between.

Besides, you are not supposed to be able to second-guess what Tesla is doing... ;)

Last week, I received my third estimate for when I could expect delivery and was advised that firmer date would be forthcoming within a couple of weeks. I remain hopeful, but it keeps reminding me of a certain cartoon character and a football.

How then is it a communication thing? It is the nature of the ramp-up that such situations occur. Otherwise, they could be producing at the full rate already. It's not yet business as usual.

Last edited:
ddenboer recently reported seeing a Production car at the factory with a VIN of 1456 and JasonKelly reported a Production car with a VIN in the high 1300s, but none of the Canadian Sig rez holders have reported getting a VIN at all. I was under the impression that Canadian Sigs would immediately follow the US Sigs and that Roadster owners would then precede those of us with regular Production reservations.
Chances are those 13xx and 14xx VINs are Rs, not Ps.

St. Louis #442 performance delivered tonight at about 5pm. First performance in STL.
Two other cars on the truck. One going to Clayton, Mo. ( suburb of St. Louis) and the other going to Chicago service center to be re distributed. Lee my DE from Chicago was great. Explained everything in my garage since it was raining and that took a few hours. Also I wanted to take it out tomorrow since this rain front will pass tonight and it will be sunny all week. Ye ha!!
More later

Congrats!

I shall be watching for you around town, so I can get my Tesla fix.

As chilly as it is today, let me know how the heater keeps up with this cold.

Liz

Picked up Sig #588 VIN #457 yesterday at the Fremont factory. Fun tour with the kids and great experience taking the car home. Sadly woke up this morning to a charging problem in the car so off to service on Monday :(

Sig Red/ White & Carbon Fiber (no spoiler)
Performance
Little cubby
Due bill: Parcel Shelf, Kids seats, HPWC

I wanted to add that Tesla service exceeded my expectations with respect to the charging issue and got me back on the road on Sunday shortly after contacting the Menlo store, despite being closed for service! :biggrin: The experience of having the car is so great that I think I am transforming from an EV believer to an EVangelist :love:

More later

Congrats! I'm counting down the days to my delivery - glad to hear everything went well. Sounds like Lee is going to be visiting my home too!

Kauai, any idea what the problem was, and what the fix entailed?

I wanted to add that Tesla service exceeded my expectations with respect to the charging issue and got me back on the road on Sunday shortly after contacting the Menlo store, despite being closed for service! :biggrin: The experience of having the car is so great that I think I am transforming from an EV believer to an EVangelist :love:

And now you understand why most Roadster owners speak so highly regarding service and Tesla. :) Please add your story to Actual Service Experiences with Tesla.

Took delivery (res 414, vin 814) around 7:30 this morning, was originally supposed to be yesterday afternoon, but truck got a flat tire and lost most of a day of travel while waiting for a replacement, whoops!

Two friends staying with us over the weekend got a chance to test drive, definitely feel the motion a lot more from the backseat than when driving! Watching the rear-view camera from the back was a bit disorienting but entertaining.

The truck driver said he had several more deliveries to make in Raleigh, but wouldn't divulge where the rest of them were headed; ours was his first delivery out of the 6 onboard.

Working from home, so it is going to be very hard to stay put; although having mostly drained the battery while zipping around giving test drives this morning helps! :tongue:

Chances are those 13xx and 14xx VINs are Rs, not Ps.
Agreed. If the VINs for production cars started with 1200, it looks like more than half of the Rs are in the process of being assembled.

I wonder if Tesla will now complete the Rs and then shift to the Canadian sigs since it now appears that the regulatory hurtles have been addressed OR just complete those Rs they've started OR immediately shift to Canadian sig production.

- - - Updated - - -

Besides, you are not supposed to be able to second-guess what Tesla is doing... ;)

How then is it a communication thing? It is the nature of the ramp-up that such situations occur. Otherwise, they could be producing at the full rate already. It's not yet business as usual.
Norbert: Seems to me that a good part of the website posts are devoted to trying to second guess what TM is doing.

It is a communication thing because TM has given us reason to believe that we will receive the car and those dates come & go without new info until we call to inquire again. You and I have watched this process now for 3+ years - maybe it's getting better.

Agreed. If the VINs for production cars started with 1200, it looks like more than half of the Rs are in the process of being assembled.

I wonder if Tesla will now complete the Rs and then shift to the Canadian sigs since it now appears that the regulatory hurtles have been addressed OR just complete those Rs they've started OR immediately shift to Canadian sig production.
There apparently were a number of demo/test/store cars built in the 12xx range, but I agree with you that the Rs probably start somewhere in the 1200s, and that 200+ of them have likely started production. However, I read today (can't remember where) that someone got an email from GB stating that Canadian approval has NOT yet been obtained. So I have to believe that TM will continue crunching out Rs as fast as they can, and not start the Canadian Sigs until the approval is solid.

All this is to say that we should start seeing lots of delivery windows for Rs this week. If we don't, then the above speculation is probably wrong.