Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cars that were configured to have 21" wheels were delivered with 19" in the interests of getting the car delivered. This could easily be the same thing. If so, then it of course should have been communicated clearly to the owner. Once again, clear communication seems to be an area that Tesla needs to work on.

Somebody (presumedly) in the Portland area should be receiving their baby tonight or tomorrow!

Spotted this Brown Performance with Dark 21s on a flatbed for delivery. Looked awesome.
This photo was taken at about 4:45pm on I5 headed South (in the N Interstate area of PDX). Headed to either someone's home or to the Washington Square store/service facility for prep. Coming down from Seattle, or some other prior drop-off point?

Who's expecting?

photo.JPG

Somebody (presumedly) in the Portland area should be receiving their baby tonight or tomorrow!

Spotted this Brown Performance with Dark 21s on a flatbed for delivery. Looked awesome.
This photo was taken at about 4:45pm on I5 headed South (in the N Interstate area of PDX). Headed to either someone's home or to the Washington Square store/service facility for prep. Coming down from Seattle, or some other prior drop-off point?

Who's expecting?

View attachment 14029

While that is very cool that someone is about to get their baby... NO COVER! ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!

Got my car this afternoon. They are indeed delivering cars on flatbed tow trucks. The good news is that it showed up (relatively) clean and freshly waxed. Also, they're only going from the Portland hub to the customer that way. Pictures to come. I'm out driving. :)

Here are some pic's from our mini delivery event at Paramount Motors:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91858606@N06/

The scratches should all be easily polished with a good detail. We did have one small spot where there looks to be a spec of dirt in the paint, but probably not worth repainting to fix it. There was also some condensation in the taillights that I didn't mention previously. The service center told us there was an issue with the seal and they were working on a redesign. There was nothing really catastrophic that would have been taken care of in a normal delivery process where a dealer gets to prep the car first. It was just a bit disappointing to be spending this kind of money on a car that get's delivered in this condition.

I've included a copy of the e-mail from UPS with the names blacked out to protect the guilty :)

Alas the car belongs to my mom, so after a few hours of fun she's taken it home, 40 miles away. I'll be waiting for her next vacation to go steal it. :)

Peter, some of that damage looks pretty serious in your photos. Was the chrome trim actually scratched or is that just road grime? The photos almost make it look as if the car was keyed. If they were traveling on an open truck, I guess that could have been possible. I'm curious to know who the liable party would be if that actually happened.

The problem in these situations is that you already own the car by the time it gets loaded onto the truck. You may not have to pay for the repair, but getting it fixed to the same level of quality as the factory isn't always possible.

After detail it should be in an enclosed carrier, which they have done in most cases.

I saw lots of pictures of signatures being delivered on open single car carriers just like this photo. Most of the enclosed carriers I've seen have been when the car is shipped directly from the factory to the customer (and there are several cars in the truck together).

Something arrived yesterday! Unfortunately it is only the title to my Model S. Is it normal to have the title in hand but still no firm delivery date? :(

Yes, because you'll need the MCO/Certificate of Origin to get a local title and tag. You should have everything you need to get that taken care of so you can drive the car right away when you get it.

The difference being that Tesla is delivering some cars under MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin) which you then take to the tag office and register the car (and transfer your tag or get a new tag). Part of that process is paying sales tax due and filing an application for title. Your state then sends you the title.

Dealerships will have you sign a bunch of Powers of Attorney so they can process all the paperwork for you thus your title shows up in the mail long after you have your car.

This is how it works in Florida and I suspect similar things happen in other states.