Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t believe there will be an option on steering wheel. My order says yoke steering wheel. Has anyone that ordered the S seen anything other than yoke on their order. So I would be surprised if they changed that, but I am taking delivery as soon as available regardless of steering wheel. I am sure that if it comes with yoke, it will work great. If not I am fine with normal steering wheel.

but I agree with you that Tesla’s ( this will be my first one) communication is very frustrating. Never dealt with anything like this on any other expensive car that I have purchased. I also bought wall charger and had it installed expecting delivery by end of March as I preordered in December.

Even if they gave me an April date I would be satisfied. This guessing game seems is very unprofessional and frustrating to me. My last 5 cars have been MB. Mercedes. Service, fit and finish are superb on them. But I have my mind set on an EV.

No, I agree that the yoke is going to be standard and no options given right now - despite what some people confidently say otherwise on the forum. I was just giving an example. If it was “yoke only, deliveries May 1” I’d still be ok, but this secretive waiting game is unprofessional and immature.

I really, really want to like Tesla - but they’re making it so hard to do even from the get-go.

And that’s the thing. The alternatives are doing nothing but increasing. Right now I’m trying to be patient because the eTron and Taycan and Mach-E just don’t quite cut it. But that won’t be the case in a year. Now’s the time for Tesla to be strategic, not overconfident.

The total lack of communication in my mind has really crossed the line from quirk to hubris. They still have some time to correct the path, but this is exactly how leaders stop being leaders.

A simple update like “Delayed about a month, refining production for quality. Yoke will be an option. Gear selectable by touch panel” would be game changing, but no, they’re playing the Apple-level secrecy game. Problem is this isn’t a $1000 iPad and competitors aren’t sitting still.

Very annoying.

Don't worry Elon will have a "phone call" in a week or two to give us information on the Refresh S & X :confused:o_O

I talked to my SA a couple days ago. We are in the mid-West and he said latest delivery estimate is end of March or early April. Also regarding the steering wheel, he had no information on what would be provided.

Out of curiosity when was your order placed. Ours was placed 1/1/21, original delivery date end of February, now showing "Prepare for Delivery" but nothing for weeks from any one (person) @tesla.

Yet people on here are POSITIVE the yoke would be an option. My SA says the same things as above on my S order. He does think it’ll deliver before end of March, but I’m thinking either last days of March or not at all.

Either way, the public outside us waiting on orders is unaware - the stock discussion boards are still acting like the S is for sale and delivering.

I’ll be honest this whole process has really dampened my enthusiasm for Tesla and made me wonder if I’m making the right decision. It feels like they don’t want to announce anything because A) they couldn’t stick to a positive promise and B) acknowledging a delay would send the stock down another 25% from its highs.

I’ve been playing their little game for 2+ months now, others have for 3-4 or more. I just want my damn car, and it’d be great to know what kind of steering wheel it has.

And yes, the unadjustable seatbelts are super annoying. My brother uses a $5 clip he bought from Amazon on his $90k car. Looks like I’ll be using the same “solution”.

The problem for me is, this is the most expensive purchase I have made to date. I like to move around the country, own my own business and WFH and always will, so I have zero interest in a mortgage because where I live the rent is so cheap and it's so convenient to leave when I want. With that, I keep telling myself "this car is going to be old news in 6 months and something better will be out, maybe wait for another Model 3/Y update". Strike 1.

I'm starting to think about all the things that could go wrong with the Model S, knowing how Tesla's other car launches have gone, even the Model Y with the glass roof flying off. I really hoped that deliveries would have started EOM in Feb, as to afford the EOQ rush, which looks to be the absolute best case scenario right now. That's a big strike 2 for me.

Tesla's inability to implement basic features, such as blind spot monitoring or reliable auto wipers makes me very concerned about the car "guessing" what direction I want to go in. This might be absolutely miserable and do I want to be one of the first test pilots? I'm less and less sure each day. Elon could avoid my imagination running wild if he would show us a demo video, but he hasn't, even after he said he would over a month ago. Big strike 3.

All of this said, I'm giving them 3-5 business days for an update and then I'm cancelling and probably going with a 3/Y or perhaps another car until they get the kinks worked out.

Out of curiosity when was your order placed. Ours was placed 1/1/21, original delivery date end of February, now showing "Prepare for Delivery" but nothing for weeks from any one (person) @tesla.

Mine was ordered near the beginning of February. I've always seen "March" (and briefly "3/1-3/31") as my target delivery date on the web site. It still shows "March" today.

Same here, 2/1/2021 was the date I placed mine (LR). Once said 3/1 - 3/31 now says "march" as well.

Some people still have “March”, but from what I gather most of the early and conversion orders, which were supposed to have ‘priority’, show nothing.

I also agree with the other poster in that every day that goes by with zero information on the “gear guessing” and the yoke, the more I wonder if I’m making the right decision here. The silence makes me feel something is quite wrong.

Especially when that Audi Etron GT looks so darn fine.

You will have plenty of time to admire the Audi while waiting for it to charge...

The SuC network is a "moat" that no one else has.

Tesla has figured out it can do whatever it wants, and if there is a slight drop in demand, that can be fixed with limited perks or price drop.

The Hubris continues, not just against the SEC, but even with early adopters. Latest is they have shut down the Tesla message board to new posts effective the 15th.

I am beginning to think there is a real problem with the refresh, perhaps the yoke does not meet DOT stds or crash requirements. This could go on for months.

A safe bet, for those that are waiting, is find a nice 2017ish P100D used.

Nearly the same car as refresh performance wise, but with leather, sunroof, FUSC.

• Funny
Reactions: omarsultan
You will have plenty of time to admire the Audi while waiting for it to charge...

The SuC network is a "moat" that no one else has.

Tesla has figured out it can do whatever it wants, and if there is a slight drop in demand, that can be fixed with limited perks or price drop.

The Hubris continues, not just against the SEC, but even with early adopters. Latest is they have shut down the Tesla message board to new posts effective the 15th.

I am beginning to think there is a real problem with the refresh, perhaps the yoke does not meet DOT stds or crash requirements. This could go on for months.

A safe bet, for those that are waiting, is find a nice 2017ish P100D used.

Nearly the same car as refresh performance wise, but with leather, sunroof, FUSC.

We would be lucky if it were the yoke. My money is on something much more sinister, such as new pieces not fitting together correctly and/or the new "guessing your gear" mechanism doesn't work at all. I don't like the way the old Model S looks at all. The interior is not as attractive as it was in 2013.

Last edited:
Reactions: aerodyne
We ordered our S on 12/12/20, and updated the morning after the refresh announcement. My order page went from showing 2/16-3/16 to showing "we will reach out to you". The complete lack of information has my wife and I strongly considering canceling the order. We have a car we were going to replace with a new S, and a truck we were going to replace with something else. I will likely now replace the truck first. I am disappointed in this process and unwilling to wait another 2 months to get a new vehicle.

Reactions: aerodyne
Alright everyone, take a deep breath. I think I have everyone beat with the waiting game (Sept 24th).

I am extremely excited to take delivery of my second Tesla MS, it is the most enjoyment I have ever had driving a vehicle, and I can keep waiting. I know it can be frustrating and even annoying at times dealing with manufactures. I have had 35 years of experience in the car business and driven everything under the sun, and I can tell you, every brand of vehicle has their challenges when it comes to delivering product. Tesla might be having a problem with something big or something small like a door panel clip. Whatever the issue is, they are not ready to deliver their product to market just yet. Imagine me spending years going to car shows and secret brand unveilings only to find out the super cool futuristic prototype vehicle you are looking at will never be built, that is frustrating. Or, when it is finally built, it is the biggest POS on the planet. Additionally, we are not entitled to know more from the manufacturer just because we are spending more than average on our vehicles. If Tesla released to us, every little issue they are having trying mass produce their cars, the trolls of the world would have a field day, and they know that.

When your plane is delayed and has not pushed back from the jetway because the pilot is not ready to fly the plane, do not get angry, there might be a reason. Please everyone, have patience. I spent many years being a mechanic while buying and selling cars, I can fix just about anything, but I do not know the first thing about how to build an EV, little lone mass-produce one. I can wait. In the meantime, I will just keep pondering how they get the caramel in the Caramilk bar.

P.S. When my RN switches to a VIN, everyone here be the first to know, then my wife (sorry honey).

Mine says “we will reach out to you to schedule delivery date..”
Don't know which is worse....or better..... LOL LOL
F131C461-C310-44A1-92B3-5C1BFE493C49.jpeg

Buying a new Tesla model is a good test of your appetite for risk. I bought my first S in 2013, sight unseen and them tool chance with the X 3 years later. Both of those bets worked out pretty well, so I am willing to let it ride.

I don't think this is a manufacturing issue as this is really an incremental change and we have seen reasonable looking test mules running around. My guess would be that the new SW (v11?) is holding things up--some marquee feature is not quite working right yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: VValleyEV
Alright everyone, take a deep breath. I think I have everyone beat with the waiting game (Sept 24th).

I am extremely excited to take delivery of my second Tesla MS, it is the most enjoyment I have ever had driving a vehicle, and I can keep waiting. I know it can be frustrating and even annoying at times dealing with manufactures. I have had 35 years of experience in the car business and driven everything under the sun, and I can tell you, every brand of vehicle has their challenges when it comes to delivering product. Tesla might be having a problem with something big or something small like a door panel clip. Whatever the issue is, they are not ready to deliver their product to market just yet. Imagine me spending years going to car shows and secret brand unveilings only to find out the super cool futuristic prototype vehicle you are looking at will never be built, that is frustrating. Or, when it is finally built, it is the biggest POS on the planet. Additionally, we are not entitled to know more from the manufacturer just because we are spending more than average on our vehicles. If Tesla released to us, every little issue they are having trying mass produce their cars, the trolls of the world would have a field day, and they know that.

When your plane is delayed and has not pushed back from the jetway because the pilot is not ready to fly the plane, do not get angry, there might be a reason. Please everyone, have patience. I spent many years being a mechanic while buying and selling cars, I can fix just about anything, but I do not know the first thing about how to build an EV, little lone mass-produce one. I can wait. In the meantime, I will just keep pondering how they get the caramel in the Caramilk bar.

P.S. When my RN switches to a VIN, everyone here be the first to know, then my wife (sorry honey).

Not to be a jerk, but half of these analogies make no sense. When a flight is delayed it isn't usually weeks and often they tell you why. Ford just gave their customers free charging and some $1,000 for delays with the Mach E. When has Tesla done that? Also Ford actually announced delays and addressed them, unlike Tesla.

These kinds of things are reminding me all of the downsides of Tesla as a company. Either it's pride, scared of the over-inflated stock price dropping or something else, but I'm sure they have 10,000+ customers waiting on an S that is already 3 weeks delayed from the initial timeline some were given. It's time to man up, address the delay publicly and give us a better timeline (perhaps free supercharging miles as a goodwill might make sense too, though the value doesn't mean a whole lot).

I'm also starting to get offended that Elon couldn't be bothered to take the time to do a presentation on the two new products, one with a base price of $80,000, the other $90,000. It's almost like "meh, we got enough orders, these people are idiots, they will buy whatever we pump out." They have the opportunity to be King of the castle for a very, very long time and they keep ****ing it up, often due to Elon's stubbornness and unwillingness to take feedback or crticism.

Buying a new Tesla model is a good test of your appetite for risk. I bought my first S in 2013, sight unseen and them tool chance with the X 3 years later. Both of those bets worked out pretty well, so I am willing to let it ride.

I don't think this is a manufacturing issue as this is really an incremental change and we have seen reasonable looking test mules running around. My guess would be that the new SW (v11?) is holding things up--some marquee feature is not quite working right yet.

If it were software, they'd be pumping these cars out as fast as possible and getting them shipped. People keep talking like the yoke and the regular steering wheel are interchangeable, not sure I see, otherwise they would ship them all right now with a regular steering wheel. My money is still on the lack of a traditional drive stalk and the "guessing" that comes along with it.

Last edited: