Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I can see that and that was my question. The plates are not the same (red one has a wider frame and the poor resolution kept me from using it. The photos are indecisive but gives us something to discuss while we are waiting for Elon's refresh announcement.
The frame on the left is the one everyone gets, it's 12 3/8" wide and the width of a CA plate on the right is 12". The new S might be wider, but not widely wider.

I'm wondering if it actually is wider. It appears wider in the picture, for sure, but I think it might be an effect of the image resizing.

It appears these images were resized to match height, which is great, but it also appears that the refresh is sitting at a much lower suspension level. It's impossible to know based on the angle (it could be the same, but we're looking more down on the rear tire), but it sure appears to be lower. So if you resize the image to match the same overall height, will disproportionally increase the width.

Really appreciate the images though, it's given me something more to do than refresh my order page waiting for my VIN.

I agree that the refreshed cars we've seen running around look lower and wider. However modifying the tooling just to flare a 0.5 -1.0" just doesn't seem very efficient. The fenders don't need to be wider to house a wider tire/wheel package. Just look at the aftermarket currently. You can fit a 9x22" wheel in the front and a 10.5x22" in the rear and not be proud of the fender. Yes, it's not the typical tucked-in look that Teslas have, but I think it's appropriately aggressive for a supercar sedan. The Plaid certainly begs for more rubber.

I’m getting nervous about this... our driveway is quite narrow with curbs on either side. I’ve parked a pre-refresh S in it a couple of times but it was tight. Even with my narrower 3 it’s tricky sometimes. So I kind of hope it isn’t significantly wider than the previous S...
Is it possible to raise the suspension when parking to avoid the curbs?

Edit: Never mind, I was thinking about hitting the body with the curb and not the rims.

I'd bet money on the following:
- We wont hear anything about the Model S Refresh until the next earnings call.
- We wont get the 2k discount for pre-refresh orders. Tesla will act like it was never mentioned. I can hear them now saying..."Well, it was never official."
- We will get an awesome car.

I think I can only get on board with your last point.

If they go back on the $2k, there would be such a backlash. I would not sue them, but I would leave out of principle. How can I trust anything they say after that?

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
I'm wondering if it actually is wider. It appears wider in the picture, for sure, but I think it might be an effect of the image resizing.

It appears these images were resized to match height, which is great, but it also appears that the refresh is sitting at a much lower suspension level. It's impossible to know based on the angle (it could be the same, but we're looking more down on the rear tire), but it sure appears to be lower. So if you resize the image to match the same overall height, will disproportionally increase the width.

Really appreciate the images though, it's given me something more to do than refresh my order page waiting for my VIN.
No need to wonder anymore.. On the Tesla website, go to: 'Model S: 'Together with a wider body and chassis, these elements help you go down the straight or around corners quicker than ever.' It's probably safe to assume the rear tires are wider than the prior 265s. I might be wrong that it's a 295-35-21. Someone else confirmed the rear 19s are 285-40-19 so it makes sense the 21s are 295.

Next Earnings Call! Yikes. Isn't that in June? I waited to order in Jan, as my garage was half full of stuff during our basement remodel. Now the remodel is done. I am ready. I suppose if we wait long enough, the 7K tax credit might be in affect before we take delivery? -- That with the 2K - (I have it in writing) discount for pre-refresh orders, would be nice?

Reactions: Drew-MS
Those 2 proposed tax amendments haven't moved in over a month.

The whole "if you change your order you'll go to the back of the line" is a scare tactic from Tesla. There is no line - at least, it's not sequential, if that makes sense. If you want a six seater and they're making five seaters for the first couple of weeks, that's how your "place" in line is determined. Again, there's no more build to order, so if one could order three Ss with sequential reservations, there's almost zero chance that person would take delivery of three cars with sequential VINs, unless, perhaps, they all had the exact same configurations.

Reactions: Laddcruzer
Next Earnings Call! Yikes. Isn't that in June? I waited to order in Jan, as my garage was half full of stuff during our basement remodel. Now the remodel is done. I am ready. I suppose if we wait long enough, the 7K tax credit might be in affect before we take delivery? -- That with the 2K - (I have it in writing) discount for pre-refresh orders, would be nice?
Earnings on April 27th.