Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RN 1139 like mine are plaid plus orders. The plaid orders which started late January started with RN 1142 or RN 1143. I’m reallly close to canceling my plus order and ordering a plaid. I’ll go nuts waiting til mid-2022 which probably means late 2022. I can always trade in my plaid for the plus.
I spoke to my SP in Tucson yesterday. These numbers are not sequential; they are codes. The first digit is model (S=1). The second digit is steering (my understanding is that yoke=1). The third and fourth digits are for the boosters and interior respectively, but I don't know the precise designations.

My service advisor related a story to me about how the backs of seats had marks and indentations on them. He placed a call to Fremont and was put through to an engineer who checked the assembly line. There was a machine that was causing these issues with the seats. The engineer was able to stop the assembly line and correct the issue. My service advisor had previously worked for BMW and said it would have taken several months for BMW to address the issue, let alone correct it, whereas Tesla corrected the issue with one phone call, from a service advisor in San Diego.

To be honest, I hear the "BMW/Audi/Mercedes treats you like a king" statement all of the time. I've never owned one, so I have no idea. However, I did try to buy one from each recently and if their slimy sales tactics (which are the same as ford, honda, gm, etc) have anything to say about it, I highly doubt the customer experience is really that much different. I assume they try to scam you every time you bring it in for an oil change.

My experience is that this is luck of the draw with your rep at any given dealer. Even within the same shop, you could have different experiences depending on who you get.

My Lexus guy was phenomenal. I just shot a text to his cell anytime I needed anything at all. He'd arrange everything on his end & just tell me what time to meet him at the front door. I definitely overpaid on more than one instance, but the convenience was significant & I valued it. And that's on top of a car that was rock-solid. Most of my requests were routine maintenance with a loaner, but he was also a huge resource for stuff that was technically out-of-scope for him (recommendations for door dings, wheels/rims, body shops after no-fault accident, etc).

And Tesla seems to be in the same position there also. We got lucky & my Tesla SA has been great all around. But I see all the threads/comments from others who have different SA experiences.

Reactions: Christine69420
Your status page will update. The system sends email notifications if you had outstanding action items and sometimes if there is a status change. Finally, you SA will reach out to coordinate pre-delivery actions. The reality is that you can get on with your life and wait for your SA to contact you, you don't have to be obsessively parked here like the rest of us. :)
Thank you gentlemen for all the input. I will however remain obsessively ensconced here, for this forum is certainly one of the highlights of my day.

I spoke to my SP in Tucson yesterday. These numbers are not sequential; they are codes. The first digit is model (S=1). The second digit is steering (my understanding is that yoke=1). The third and fourth digits are for the boosters and interior respectively, but I don't know the precise designations.
I don't think that's accurate on the first two digits, unless my Y is coming with a yoke. As well, my Cybertruck, Y, S, and X reservations all start with "11". And yes, I've been delaying my Y delivery for six months and may never take it.

Reactions: foos
Why is "Pay as you go supercharging" an order detail? Is that a feature? It's not like they offered me free supercharging or no charging.

It's almost like they want to make sure I know that the crack they gave me for free on my 2016 X, which I used routinely, is no longer free now that I am addicted. Like my premium connectivity. Tesla giveth (sometimes) and they taketh away.

And yes, I am so desperate for info now that I even check and recheck my config details, read the lemon law disclosure, check the pricing, etc.

My feeling is that things change too darn fast at Tesla for them to be able to put out a stable set of specs without the possibility of some of them changing. So the choice becomes:
a) put out info on the way they *think* it's going to be; when things change, don't confuse people by updating them.
b) put out info on the way they *think* it's going to be; when things change, keep updating everyone whenever a thing changes
c) wait until the mass production starts and then tell 'em what they're getting.

You can't please all the people all the time; no matter which choice they make, someone is going to be pissed off.
I get things like SW-enable features will always be a work in progress, but I would hope certain things like the physical aspects of the car

Reactions: elguapo
Why is "Pay as you go supercharging" an order detail? Is that a feature? It's not like they offered me free supercharging or no charging.
It's probably how they track entitlement for a given car. While free supercharging not a standard everyday option, it does, on occasion, become available and their order entry system needs a way to track that and then pass that to the back-end entitlement systems.

Reactions: elguapo
I get things like SW-enable features will always be a work in progress, but I would hope certain things like the physical aspects of the car
In the old-school auto manufacturing world, that would be true, but Tesla is breaking the mold to get improvements into production much faster than that, both s'ware and h'ware. It never ceases to amaze me how Munro can talk about a weakness one month and Tesla gets a fix into production in some ungodly short amount of time. That rocks. There's a price, but just because something has a high price does not mean it isn't worth it.

Reactions: jbcarioca
In the old-school auto manufacturing world, that would be true, but Tesla is breaking the mold to get improvements into production much faster than that, both s'ware and h'ware. It never ceases to amaze me how Munro can talk about a weakness one month and Tesla gets a fix into production in some ungodly short amount of time. That rocks. There's a price, but just because something has a high price does not mean it isn't worth it.
Sure, they are constantly iterating on the implementation of the design, but it's not like they are going to decide to make the car a half inch wider on the fly.

I got an email this afternoon from Tesla inviting me to a Virtual New Owner Workshop via Microsoft Teams.
For me it's the first communication initiated on the Tesla side since I updated my configuration after the refresh was announced. My original order date was December 5th, reconfiguration date January 28. Maybe this is a good sign?
1616177162487.png

I got this today: (I withheld the name)

[Name witheld]@tesla.com​

10:02 AM (3 hours ago)
Hello Future Model S and X Owners,

The Virtual Orientation invite went out to S and X orders in error. We will be extending an invite to our future S and X owners when we have a refreshed model ready for delivery. You are welcome to attend this orientation, however it will only cover our Models 3 and Y. Stay tuned for future orientation invites on our refresh S and X Models.

Reactions: Tigers and leannekc