Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also - it sounds like they are still changing design elements. The initial leak was the PRND was going to be by the hazard lights (was told to Elektrek).

Then we saw a tester with "Park, Neutral, Reverse, Drive" labels at the base of the phone charger corroborating that story.

Now, they moved the PRND to the steering wheel. Who knows when this change happened, but it definitely means they are still working through stuff and may not even be finalized yet.

• Disagree
Reactions: foos
Also - it sounds like they are still changing design elements. The initial leak was the PRND was going to be by the hazard lights (was told to Elektrek).

Then we saw a tester with "Park, Neutral, Reverse, Drive" labels at the base of the phone charger corroborating that story.

Now, they moved the PRND to the steering wheel. Who knows when this change happened, but it definitely means they are still working through stuff and may not even be finalized yet.
I remember that Elektrek article and went back and checked and it's not clear why they made the assertion regarding the buttons under the charger, so maybe a mis-intepretation on their part. There were labels on the console in the test mule, but that could easily be a cheat sheet for the thumbwheel function. The Elektrek article does link to a Tesla patent filing, which shows their intent is to embed the control in the steering wheel and is interesting in that it shows some other capabilities that may be accessible though the steering wheel: Tesla has a new high-tech steering wheel with touchscreens and haptic feedback - Electrek

Reactions: foos and Tigers
I just wish we had some sort of timeline. I can't go 3 more months without a car. I don't mind a model 3 at this point I don't care but many of us sold vehicles based on their timeline that they neglected to update.
Based on recent videos and speculation, prior to May-June seems unlikely especially for those of us on the east coast.

Attachments

• ExBpAjIWEAAR0Kh.jpeg
    ExBpAjIWEAAR0Kh.jpeg
    369.4 KB · Views: 60
  • ExBpAjKWgAEjQ5K.jpeg
    ExBpAjKWgAEjQ5K.jpeg
    632.7 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: Typhoon43
Going back to the chat with my store folks and the comment of "first half of next qtr" I have settled my expectations around mid-May, which is the most pessimistic interpretation of his comment :). Our club has a close working relationship with our store, so I trust any info they would share.

I think none of us have seen a change to the "March" date as I don't think Tesla has figured out the production schedule yet. I can see the logic of not communicating any changes or (re)setting expectations until there is some clear and dependable info to share.

The one wildcard is the wonders of batching. My original Model S showed up a full month early because the config I ordered jut happened to neatly slip into the existing production schedule.

• Disagree
Reactions: foos and elguapo
I don’t think anyone here asking for communication is being unreasonable or as you say neurotic. The end of March is one week from this Wednesday. The chances of Tesla delivering thousands of Model S cars by then is slim to none. Therefore, one would expect Tesla to announce a delay so all of us suckers that actually believed we would get a car this month can adjust our expectations. I was foolish enough to sell my performance Model S last month in anticipation of a March delivery. I am now stuck without a car and I don’t enjoy the Uber experience as much as you do.
Have you tried Uber and
It’s totally possible they would ship with round wheels first then switch to yoke. When I got my P85D in mid-Dec 2014, I took delivery with “standard” seats despite having ordered the “next-gen” seats made by Recaro, but they were just not ready yet. They were retrofit several months later at no cost to me.
why wouldn’t they ship with yoke and retrofit to the steering wheel if the bureaucrats try to interfere with freedom and progress?

Would you be so kind as to tell us what different thread you might post your scoop on. That way we can all keep busy for the next few months checking that thread. 🙂

Seriously, I don't know anything and I don't expect to learn anything from the few people I know at Tesla. I'm gonna find out details here on TMC the same as the rest of you.

Bruce.

why wouldn’t they ship with yoke and retrofit to the steering wheel if the bureaucrats try to interfere with freedom and progress?
Because the press would have a field day if Tesla had to walk back a marquee feature on their new flagship and half of them would frame it a recall. It's better to ship with the round wheels and retrofit the yoke as needed. TBH, it seems like Tesla is doing the right thing and getting things figured out with the NHTSA ahead of time.

Reactions: Drew-MS
1) I may be in the minority but do not think that the pass door is misaligned. I think it is not shut properly or poorly latched.
2) Wheel caps could be supplier out of stock, stolen, etc. If that is something you are worried about, my guess is that ownership will get worse.
3) No badging to put on trunk. The website only shows badging if Plaid version.

Remember no one here (including myself despite what my wife says) does not know everything and we are speculating and making educated guesses.

Yoke must be legal if this is on a public street in Burlingame, CA
Same one as Santa Cruz! I can tell by the misaligned door on the passenger side! :-(