Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is this? 2021 MSM with 402 miles and 3.7 second 0-60? Assume it's classified as a 2021 model, but was built pre-refresh. Interesting, I thought the model years were based on the build date

The warranty ending in November 2024 gives a clue that this was a 11/2020 production car. It is somewhat annoying that my 11/2018 car is a 2018, but this 11/2020 car is a 2021, especially since the majority of 2021s will be refresh cars. It will surely trip up people looking to buy used refresh Ses in 3 years, but Tesla is nothing if not inconsistent lol.

Reactions: patt0n
A little off topic, but because the Taycan keeps coming up and people keep saying the S gives better performance..

I think one thing that people keep forgetting, re: Taycan, when they talk about performance, is that there's a lot more to performance than 0-60 acceleration, or even drag times on a quarter mile. The Taycan can be expected to hit a corner much better than a Model S - it's so much nimbler. Hell, the Model 3 is probably a better track car than the Model S despite the slower acceleration.

If you're buying the Model S because you want a track car, you're missing the point. If you're buying the Taycan because you want a daily driver, you're missing the point.

The Model S is king because it can get moving pretty quickly, but also packs a crazy 28 cu ft of cargo space, on top of top-of-the-line infotainment. The Taycan is king because it was designed with the track in mind, and puts luxury / quality, fit, and finish first. They're somewhat interchangeable cars, but not really.

Think of it this way: wouldn't it be strange if someone you knew was torn between an Audi A4 and a Corvette Stingray?

EDIT: Us lumping the Taycan and Model S together, just because they're both EVs, feels a lot like that scene in Silicon Valley, where Carla complains that men in tech companies will always try to force women in tech companies to be friends, even if they're very different. The ensuing scene where Jared tries to get Monica and Carla to be friends seems a lot like us trying to compare the Taycan and the Model S.
All that said, it’s certainly all true when comparing with the previous MS but apparently, the refreshed MS Plaid can handle quite well...just look at the track times at The Ring & Laguna Seca. Supposedly the new MS Plaid can keep up with the best in the twisties as well as in a straight line. If true, this will be a hoot to test out in person in your own MS Plaid; not saying I’m going to track my own MS Plaid but it will be interesting to see how well it handles in comparison to my previous Jaguar I-Pace HSE EV and even my GT-R. I’m not expecting a track monster but if it handles decently enough, that will be quite fun. 👍🏻😎

All that said, it’s certainly all true when comparing with the previous MS but apparently, the refreshed MS Plaid can handle quite well...just look at the track times at The Ring & Laguna Seca. Supposedly the new MS Plaid can keep up with the best in the twisties as well as in a straight line. If true, this will be a hoot to test out in person in your own MS Plaid; not saying I’m going to track my own MS Plaid but it will be interesting to see how well it handles in comparison to my previous Jaguar I-Pace HSE EV and even my GT-R. I’m not expecting a track monster but if it handles decently enough, that will be quite fun. 👍🏻😎
I'm not sure if the track tests were with what is now called the Plaid+ or with what is now the Plaid. No one knows what the extra $30k gets you between those two models, but speculation is it may include aero, wheels/tires/suspension, as well as the new battery (which is actually supposed to be cheaper to make, but we'll see about that too). The last time Tesla had a + model (the P85D+), the plus signified increased handling, although they gave up on that and just pursued raw power afterwards with he P90D, P100D, etc.

how sad that our only hope for info is when
I'm not sure if the track tests were with what is now called the Plaid+ or with what is now the Plaid. No one knows what the extra $30k gets you between those two models, but speculation is it may include aero, wheels/tires/suspension, as well as the new battery (which is actually supposed to be cheaper to make, but we'll see about that too). The last time Tesla had a + model (the P85D+), the plus signified increased handling, although they gave up on that and just pursued raw power afterwards with he P90D, P100D, etc.
Why is it hard/expensive to make better handling? Is it more just a tradeoff of easy driveability vs responsiveness?

I could be wrong but I think Elon Musk and his engineers understand when you’re driving a 1,020 HP/TQ (tri-motor EV in this case) car that runs the 1/4 mi in 9.2 sec, you’d better beef up the suspension for better handling or there will be too many accidents from owners/drivers over-extending the capabilities of the vehicle based on its sheer power. I highly doubt the MS Plaid has the exact same suspension as the previous MS. Just saying.

It looks like the refresh model S has 265/35-21 front and rear
1618940616191.png

• Disagree
Reactions: scrapps
This is standard range test done by Edmunds for various EVs, see for yourself

Setting aside for a moment the validity of comparing the results of their standardized test vs the EPA test (which operates at different speeds and conditions), the process isn't what I was questioning. I was specifically wanting this test (or another standardized test) on the LR trim.

Most reports indicate that the updates between the P100D and the 2020 Performance were mostly to city driving and don't have more than a percent or two effect on highway range.
I was afraid of that. It really makes most of the improvement into a mirage and that's disappointing, tbh.

You are right that he did not perform the 1000km test with the Taycan. Probably this was not allowed by the owners. The cost per km is huge for the Taycan.
What do you mean by similar tests? The two range tests that I linked above are very similar for MS Raven and Taycan 4S. I would always trust Björns tests and not Edmunds or others that are not necessarily unbiased.
Oh, I need to rewatch the video. Maybe it is closer to what I was looking for than I thought.
If you're buying the Model S because you want a track car, you're missing the point. If you're buying the Taycan because you want a daily driver, you're missing the point.
I get the theory behind that, but I wonder if it is true in practice. Are people actually buying Taycan's for track use? Or are they just getting bought to make high-speed runs to the local Target because they look cool?

Because just like in your analogy, we can't force them into the buckets we want, customers choose that for themselves.

The following items need to occur before I believe any date. When these happen, the date is true:
  1. I'm at the delivery center with signed paperwork in hand
  2. I'm sitting inside my new 2021/2 MS and profile set to "Dave."
  3. Tesla employees in my rear camera waving goodbye
  4. Calendar on display shows current date.
Oh, I absolutely believe HQ could say something of the sort - but that doesn't make it any more reliable.

Elon's making bull-*sugar* statements on the Earnings call that won't hold up. So why can't HQ do the same with advisors?