Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - Since I'm checking this board regularly for information, I decided to register and share my details in case they're helpful...

Model S LR; MSM+Black; Arachnid wheels
Order Date: Feb 14, 2021
RN1145XXXXX

Several weeks ago the "Estimated Delivery" field said something like March 22-28. It then changed to what it reads currently: "6 - 12 weeks from order placed date"

Truly appreciate all the information, conversation, and conjecture! I've been unable to find any information anywhere on what's going on with my order and, since this is my first Tesla, I'm impatient! My last car was a 2016 BMW 550i which I truly loved. Very curious to see how well the S handles and how it compares overall.

It wasn’t very long ago. In September 2019 when I traded-in my Porsche, they matched Carmax offer.
This may be hard to believe, but 6 weeks ago Tesla offered me $40k for the P100D I purchased from them 17 months earlier for $73,500. I purchased the car with 21k miles and drove it 11k miles in 17 months. Car was in great condition, no issues. I was like wtf... and sold it privately for $58k a few days later.
Plus I spent almost $4k on 21” Arachnids off eBay.

Last edited:
Hi all - Since I'm checking this board regularly for information, I decided to register and share my details in case they're helpful...

RN1145XXXXX

Several weeks ago the "Estimated Delivery" field said something like March 22-28. It then changed to what it reads currently: "6 - 12 weeks from order placed date"

Truly appreciate all the information, conversation, and conjecture! I've been unable to find any information anywhere on what's going on with my order and, since this is my first Tesla, I'm impatient! My last car was a 2016 BMW 550i which I truly loved. Very curious to see how well the S handles and how it compares overall.
If you haven’t driven an EV before and if this is your first EV, you’re going to flip out! You’ll be wowed with the amount of instant acceleration and torque, overall performance, smoothness, awesome technology, and of course, you’ll be laughing your arse off every time you pass a gas station! 👏🏻😜. Enjoy!!

I drove the P85D once about 7 years ago - I surely recall the acceleration, but everything else about the car is pretty hazy. Can't wait to get into the UI and see all the different aspects of the car which can be customized. The BMW iDrive system was fine but pales in comparison to the Tesla console.

Reactions: T-Racer
I was at Century City mall today here in LA. I walked by the Tesla store, saw that my SA was talking to another customer. Receptionist asked me if I want to leave a message for him to call. I said no thanks.
I don’t need to hear his guess as I believe he knows nothing more than the people on this forum.

there is also a new Lucid store there. I stopped in and looked at the Air. Sort of liked it, but they are only offering the higher priced version approx 150K available sometime 2nd half of this year. The new S looks much nicer to me particularly at 90k.
Checked my account. Ordered in December RN1142. No delivery date on account page.
just says

“We will reach out to you to schedule your delivery date. Delivery time frame is based on order date, profile submission, delivery location and vehicle configuration.”

I was at Century City mall today here in LA. I walked by the Tesla store, saw that my SA was talking to another customer. Receptionist asked me if I want to leave a message for him to call. I said no thanks.
I don’t need to hear his guess as I believe he knows nothing more than the people on this forum.

there is also a new Lucid store there. I stopped in and looked at the Air. Sort of liked it, but they are only offering the higher priced version approx 150K available sometime 2nd half of this year. The new S looks much nicer to me particularly at 90k.
Checked my account. Ordered in December RN1142. No delivery date on account page.
just says

“We will reach out to you to schedule your delivery date. Delivery time frame is based on order date, profile submission, delivery location and vehicle configuration.”
I think the Lucid Air GT and base Ed + their new SUV the Gravity (when all these Lucid vehicles are available) will be contenders in the next few years, but for now, I would stick with the known vs the unknown.

Reactions: Drew-MS
I'd imagine the majority of testing is thermal and going into whatever cooling system they're using (assuming it has been changed as well)... I'd imagine the chip delays is causing them to just refocus production on their bottom line while giving ample time to thoroughly test the new S until the shortages dampen.

Screenshot 2021-04-27 223546.jpg

Making sure the new battery packs were safe, mules in the wild with the driver saying they were doing thermal testing - sounds like making sure the new chemistry is safe to me. Makes sense given the increase in energy density. And then 'global supply chain issues' we all know is related to chip shortages. I think it probably makes things hard for even Tesla themselves to truly know. I work at a company that imports a lot of containers overseas and even with all of our sophisticated internal calculations, any reverberations in the supply chain can throw off projections by weeks or months quite easily. With a car and so many suppliers to rely upon, I'm sure it's quite a chaotic time to try and predict things.

This may be hard to believe, but 6 weeks ago Tesla offered me $40k for the P100D I purchased from them 17 months earlier for $73,500. I purchased the car with 21k miles and drove it 11k miles in 17 months. Car was in great condition, no issues. I was like wtf... and sold it privately for $58k a few days later.
Plus I spent almost $4k on 21” Arachnids off eBay.

Tesla is hilarious. They do not want to deal with trade ins at all. I feel like they purposely give people terrible offers so they go elsewhere. But it is also annoying that they don't even value their own cars better than random 3rd parties. I sold my model 3 privately too, for $8000 more than they offered.

RN1145XXXXX

I ordered same car, same color, same day (except with 19” wheels) lets see who gets theirs first. LOL

View attachment 657599

Making sure the new battery packs were safe, mules in the wild with the driver saying they were doing thermal testing - sounds like making sure the new chemistry is safe to me. Makes sense given the increase in energy density. And then 'global supply chain issues' we all know is related to chip shortages. I think it probably makes things hard for even Tesla themselves to truly know. I work at a company that imports a lot of containers overseas and even with all of our sophisticated internal calculations, any reverberations in the supply chain can throw off projections by weeks or months quite easily. With a car and so many suppliers to rely upon, I'm sure it's quite a chaotic time to try and predict things.
supply chain doesn't have to mean chip shortages, could be a whole ton of different things, from raw materials, plastics, even leather (since i'm assuming the MS uses real leather and the M3 uses faux leather).

hold up has to be something with a fundamental design change they made, so battery configuration and thermal testing and then seeing mules driving all over the country putting down as many miles as they can, maybe w/ no signs of fires on any of those (yay), we're finally past the issues and they can start up that good ole production line next week :D :D

supply chain doesn't have to mean chip shortages, could be a whole ton of different things, from raw materials, plastics, even leather (since i'm assuming the MS uses real leather and the M3 uses faux leather).

hold up has to be something with a fundamental design change they made, so battery configuration and thermal testing and then seeing mules driving all over the country putting down as many miles as they can, maybe w/ no signs of fires on any of those (yay), we're finally past the issues and they can start up that good ole production line next week :D :D
Does this also mean the permits weren’t the blocker? 😁

Wait, the new Model s uses fake leather too, right? I thought tesla said they were removing all leather from all cars. In fact, I thought the model s/x have had fake leather for a couple of years now...

Wait, the new Model s uses fake leather too, right? I thought tesla said they were removing all leather from all cars. In fact, I thought the model s/x have had fake leather for a couple of years now...
really? lame. dang, even my $50k Kia Stinger has nice beautiful leather, you're telling me not even the MS get's real leather? hmmm.

Correct. None of the Teslas use real leather any longer.
so sad. anyways, point still stands about the supply chain :D

i just had to look that up, it's because of the vegans? what the heck ... idk how leather is less environmentally friendly then a synthetic that needs oil to produce, where cow hide is available because of all the beef we eat!

Reactions: T-Racer and rvpCO