Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This entire thread is a cycle, typical flow:

Yolk or Regular Steering 3+ pages
Yolk Approval 2+pages
Chip Shortage 1+page
Fremont Permits 1+ page
Free supercharger miles 3+pages
Random text from SA with zero useful info. 2+pages
Tesla Account Down, Updates coming 1+ page

end of day, we are in the same position.

And don't for get to mix in the 'flyover footage' & 'test mule pics from the wild' once a week.

We should change the name of this thread to 'Model S Refresh Waiting Room' - feels more appropriate.

Then we can do a separate thread for delivery updates after we have ------ what's it called ------- oh, yeah - DELIVERIES!

It should be called the "Refresh S 12 Step Program Group Therapy"

Yeah the people in those chats are less than useless! I got my lease approval while ordering and saw last night that lease approval is only valid for 90 days. I PING'd the chat team and asked about it and 3 different dopes are like "yeah not to worry, we'll just have to reapply if the car isn't ready yet". HUH? Yeah just keep dinging someone's credit? 3 people...zero viable answers!
Out of interest, I compared the cost to lease vs. purchase and I'm not sure which makes more sense. A plaid S for 36 months and 10k miles per year will cost $7500 down and $1,843 per month for 36 months ($1,680 plus 8.625% NY tax.) In total, the 36 month lease will cost about $74,500.
To purchase the car, the total is $132k (with tax) compared to $74,500 for a 36 month lease.
So will the car with 30k miles be worth more or less than $57,500 ($132k - $74.5k) after 36 months.
If less, then leasing sounds better. If the car will be worth more than $57,500 after 3 years, then purchase makes more sense.
Anyone have an opinion of the value at the end of the lease? A 3 year old Plaid model S with 30,000 miles. I honestly have no idea lol
Edit: when leasing, you only pay tax on the total of payments plus the $7500 down.

Hi everyone. I've been following this forum for quite a while, but I just registered as a member today. This will be the first Tesla that I've owned, but I've driven them quite a bit. I'm probably going to ask some stupid questions, so I'm asking for forgiveness and patience up front. Like most of you, I ordered my MSLR and am still waiting on any real updates. Here is my build info for those who are interested: Ordered 02/18/2021 RN114531939
1620762279995.png

At the bottom, you'll see that if I decide to make any changes it may affect delivery date and may be subject to a fee. Has anyone here done that? If I decide to change my mind about the Black paint and opt for Red, would it really affect delivery for a car that hasn't even been built yet? Just curious if anyone here has made a change to their order and how did that go for you?

I extensively looked at the numbers for leasing versus loan. Key factors in leasing are money factor and residual value they compute. For my numbers and figuring the 13% annual depreciation rate of typical MS, a loan offered me an opportunity to gain a little equity after three years ($18k) above the difference in down, taxes, payments, and lease costs. Essentially at the end of the lease i had no equity after payments; with loan, I had a some equity based on depreciation and expected value after three years.
Out of interest, I compared the cost to lease vs. purchase and I'm not sure which makes more sense. A plaid S for 36 months and 10k miles per year will cost $7500 down and $1,843 per month for 36 months ($1,680 plus 8.625% NY tax.) In total, the 36 month lease will cost about $74,500.
To purchase the car, the total is $132k (with tax) compared to $74,500 for a 36 month lease.
So will the car with 30k miles be worth more or less than $57,500 ($132k - $74.5k) after 36 months.
If less, then leasing sounds better. If the car will be worth more than $57,500 after 3 years, then purchase makes more sense.
Anyone have an opinion of the value at the end of the lease? A 3 year old Plaid model S with 30,000 miles. I honestly have no idea lol
Edit: when leasing, you only pay tax on the total of payments plus the $7500 down.

Reactions: Drew-MS
May is going to be dead silence....
Response from my SA (via email):
>>>>>>>>
a handful of Model S will likely roll off the line in May with a slight increase in June. Real scaled production of the S likely won’t occur until July / August with a lot of deliveries in August / September.

Again, this is my best estimate but I am confident that you would likely take delivery of your S in mid / late Q3.
>>>>>>>>

If his best estimate is going to be true, that's almost 4 - 10 weeks beyond the initial estimate of 10-14 weeks (which ends mid Jul'21).

Ordered date: 4/2/2021
Red/Black/21"/FSD
Estimated delivery: 10-14 weeks from order date.

The used to have a high gloss "Piano Black" trim option--I think it was the base config. IIRC, it held up well, but never looked great because it was a dust and fingerprint magnet.

That is what I also noticed about the pics posted this morning--that tabled looks firmly mounted in place like the 3/Y. Also the big black beam stretching across the all glass roof

IIRC from the v11 UX leak, buttons and other things you interact with while you are driving are mostly on the left half of the screen, so that should be OK. I am not sure if they mirror the display in RHD countries.
for a fixed screen with no tilt, viewing angle may cause a problem unless the screen is titled towards driver, similar to previous Model S vertical big screen. I hope the they retain the tilt/adjustment in the final production line.

Reactions: Tigers
Well my 2015 S70D (low mileage) was worth 43K (tax/title costs included) when it was totalled in November (about 5 and 1/2 yrs old) and cost about 91K (before taxes). so I think a Plaid would be at least 57.5K after 3 yrs. They do hold their value.

Reactions: Babu_18 and Drew-MS