Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder what the actual thought process is of putting up dates and taking them down every 1/2 days.... Seems strange

My guess is that every local Tesla store is responsible for providing delivery updates and assigning VINs.

My guess is that my local Tesla store (Burbank) first thought my car would be delivered in March, then thought it would be delivered in June, then thought it would be delivered in August, and then decided to delete the delivery estimate given how unreliable and/or dishonest the Fremont folks are.

The algorithm theory is flawed because it doesn't explain dashes and blanks.

Tesla uses the white interior in all their marketing photos and renders of the car as well. You'd think they would actually produce the interior they're pushing people into choosing? 🤔

If they were some other manufacturer that had to pre-produce cars by estimation before having them on sale, I'd understand if they misestimated. But they literally had the orders of the car in since last year, so they had all the orders of white interiors and just decided not to produce them? Similarly, offering carbon fiber as the only option to Plaid orders from the start and then switching to offering wood as an option 6 months later and prioritizing that for delivery...?
Their production line for the refresh MS was literally shut down until April or May this year; they just began producing them just some weeks ago.

My guess is that every local Tesla store is responsible for providing delivery updates and assigning VINs.

My guess is that my local Tesla store (Burbank) first thought my car would be delivered in March, then thought it would be delivered in June, then thought it would be delivered in August, and then decided to delete the delivery estimate given how unreliable and/or dishonest the Fremont folks are.

The algorithm theory is flawed because it doesn't explain dashes and blanks.
No, assigning VIN is done by the factory. Tesla Store doesn't know anything until they know they have vehicle incoming assigned by the factory

I’ve only had 3 or 4 updates since January. One was on 5/14 (June 1-30), one was on 5/21 (to blank) , and then one overnight last night (to 6/21-30). I. haven’t noticed correlation re: time of day.
The reason I ask is, all of my updates have come the first time I check in the mornings. I've checked frequently throughout the day and there have never been any updates in the delivery estimates. I wonder if they just update around 5:00 a.m. PST each day?

The reason I ask is, all of my updates have come the first time I check in the mornings. I've checked frequently throughout the day and there have never been any updates in the delivery estimates. I wonder if they just update around 5:00 a.m. PST each day?

I have only had 5 changes to mine since January. They have all happened in the morning.

ETA: Currently all blank

Last edited:
Hello All,

I have followed this board for some time but have never posted. First time Tesla owner. Obviously this purchase has turned into a ish show. Ordered MS LR on 2/8. RN 1144 in New Jersey. Had a February delivery originally. Turned into March, than June, than August. I had the end of June for about a day and a half than back to August until a week or so ago when it disappeared. This all sounds about par for the course from reading this board but I wanted to share that the humor and information from here has made this process somewhat easier to do with. I have received several generic texts from Tesla and no calls. I have called the SA a few times to inquire about process and updates. Obviously no information however he swears I will be the first new model s from their store. He had a long wooden nose and I am sure his fathers name was geppetto but I’d like to think he speaks the truth. Keep the information and updates coming since this is the only source of information out there. Appreciate all of you.
Thank you for your post @Greengiants. I've been reading every word in this thread for quite a few years - well, it feels like it but since March - and this this the first one that actually made me laugh out loud. I better hit "post" before I get a tear too!

The videos show that LRs are being built, contrary to what some SAs said. We know that Plaids are being prioritized for delivery. We know that MS’s are being moved to a different lot. Is it possible that these offsite LRs are missing a hardware component that is the subject of the much-tweeted supply chain problem? And that the Plaids are being given whatever stock of microcontrollers Tesla has in inventory such that we LR purchasers are left out in the cold?

Reactions: HumanInput
Just saw the article that @AnselmDante posted and this blew my mind. Is there a zero missing? How does one buy a Model X/S with that average household income?View attachment 669881
This is a biased report. Currated from 1.5+ million records then cherry picked for their results. Pretty easy to do to manipulate results. This is a clickbait article by a SEO firm. Nada is of any realness and isn't substantuated by any other claims of the same.

This is a biased report. Currated from 1.5+ million records then cherry picked for their results. Pretty easy to do to manipulate results. This is a clickbait article by a SEO firm. Nada is of any realness and isn't substantuated by any other claims of the same.
I think a lot of you Californians and East Coasters are absolutely unaware how the rest of the country works, though.

$150k is really no problem to buy an S in a huge part of the country, like here in Colorado. I happen to be north of that but my brother works for me and makes $130k and had zero problem paying for his 2018 S, which is now paid off.

I think a lot of you Californians and East Coasters are absolutely unaware how the rest of the country works, though.

$150k is really no problem to buy an S in a huge part of the country, like here in Colorado. I happen to be north of that but my brother works for me and makes $130k and had zero problem paying for his 2018 S, which is now paid off.
Oh I'm 100% aware of that. One of the reasons why I'm saying this report is crap. Second is they didn't sample a full dataset. They sampled 2500 whatever. Again this was a marketing agency that did this for propaganda.

Just saw the article that @AnselmDante posted and this blew my mind. Is there a zero missing? How does one buy a Model X/S with that average household income?View attachment 669881
It's because of the age of the buyers. People at this income level AND in their 50's, tend to treat to something extravagant they feel they have earned through a career/raising their children etc. They buy it with savings from years of planning, cashing in something of value they have held onto for years, like collectibles or a rental property, or income from expired relatives (a lot of peoples parents tend to die around their 50's).

Before Tesla existed, it usually ended up being a something like a Corvette.

I guess when you don’t have to pay $98 million for a two bedroom townhome, you’ll have some money left over to pay for an MS even with just $150k income :)

I guess when you don’t have to pay $98 million for a two bedroom townhome, you’ll have some money left over to pay for an MS even with just $150k income :)

In all seriousness though - this is true. I lived on the coast for years, left with no savings, took me all of 12 months to pay all of my debt, buy a bunch of stock and have a large "safety"/investment net once I got to the middle of the country.

I don't think people realize how insanely expensive places like California are, truly.

My car insurance was literally 3x. My utilities (especially water/electricity) were 4x. Gas was 3x. My rent was 2x for an old ass house (live in a new one now) that was half the size. Not having income tax saved me tens of thousands last year alone.

So - TLDR - I agree that it depends on your personal circumstances. If you live in Iowa and make $150k, yeah, you're probably good to get a Model S.