Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only 30 were delivered at the model 3 event. I expect similar here. Not to mention the website and SAs were telling people June for deliveries of the Plaid, I don't think there are that many orders right now (because of the +).

Unless @gabeincal videos show us differently over the next couple of weeks, still think this is going to be a very slow waiting game. The first deliveries are for PR and marketing.

Just re-watched the M3 event, and I concur this one will probably be similar, with some more flash with track rides, and less sincere comments about how Tesla appreciates the early adopters.

The blue Plaid looks great, but I’m not loving the new version of the 21” arachnids. The old arachnids had a much lower profile lip and looked sleeker. Maybe this was done for aerodynamic reasons to maximize mileage, but I’m not sure it’s worth the $4,500 we will be paying for them.
I risked compromising my delivery date just to modify my order and remove the Arachnids—just like you, I’m not loving the new versions at all. Figured I can get really nice after market wheels for less than $4.5k

Reactions: Promo714 and JimLL
I love how my only true friend here is @Hayseed_MS, who didn't encourage me to spend an extra $40K on a car.

BTW - have I told you guys how absolutely disappointed I am that we aren't going to make it to 2,000 pages before Omar gets his car?

Also @Hayseed_MS - Texas factory opens supposedly October/November with 4680 cells in Model Y (confirmed by Musk like 2 weeks ago). There's probably <~5K orders for Model S Plaid right now - I personally believe that they have the stash for it already.
I didn’t encourage you either. 🤷🏻

Is it possible there’s just enough of a backlog of Plaids at the original price to sustain deliveries for a couple more months of the 18650 and that any Plaid orders as of yesterday will THEN get the 4680 to justify the cost increase?

And yes I’m really asking.

Is it possible there’s just enough of a backlog of Plaids at the original price to sustain deliveries for a couple more months of the 18650 and that any Plaid orders as of yesterday will THEN get the 4680 to justify the cost increase?

I dont honestly think even Tesla will do this as it would seriously alienate their customer who bought prior. Now, i do see this for a later year model of the car....

I think many of us would like the "4680" surprise tonight, it might explain the delay in production. I wouldn't put it past Tesla to increase price and then make the change but, I think the speed of the car is getting too close to the roadster and the demand for the + is not what they expected, ergo, it doesn't make financial sense to produce the separate chassis with the 4680 cells.