Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Watched Omar’s video, not sure about the yoke... maybe it can be fixed with one of these bad boys...

1623462212789.jpeg

I just uploaded a video to SmugMug of me driving around the neighborhood, traffic circles and parking lots--you can see I spend a fair amount of time trying to figure out where to put my hands, but I have to admit, it feels more comfortable already.

SmugMug is processing, so it might take some time to show up.

Sorry to have missed the call.

The video is great - you make the yoke look effortless considering you have not had it 24 hours. After a few more days you will forget what round was like. I would like to see the horn in the center and not a small button.

Sorry to have missed the call.

The video is great - you make the yoke look effortless considering you have not had it 24 hours. After a few more days you will forget what round was like. I would like to see the horn in the center and not a small button.
+1 on the horn; just a terrible design idea. I bet I will be honking at everyone, lol! I think Tesla should’ve absolutely made the yoke an OPTION and they still could’ve had a round (stalkless) wheel with a bunch of buttons and scroll wheels etc with a reg horn in the middle. Elon with his strange, kid-like “gaming” ideas…well you can see the screen better with 1/2 steering wheel. Thank you but I could see the driver’s screen just fine with the normal round steering wheel dude.

Did anybody who went to the event last night find out if they are using mega castings? Or has anybody else mentioned it? I’ve been trying to read the last hundred pages since last night but I couldn’t find anything
I did not head anyone mention it. There was a frame at the event (one of the things under the tarp) and is looked fairly conventional. 🤷‍♂️

OK, I admit, AutoShift is growing on me--I'll probably leave it enabled:
  • The UI is super clear what the car is planning on doing, so no surprises (unlike autopilot)
  • Best case, the car guesses correctly and saves you a step. Worst case, the car goofs and you manually shift gears like before, so you have not lost anything
  • The screen shifter works well and is intuitive--swipe the direction you want the car to go

OK, I admit, AutoShift is growing on me--I'll probably leave it enabled:
  • The UI is super clear what the car is planning on doing, so no surprises (unlike autopilot)
  • Best case, the car guesses correctly and saves you a step. Worst case, the car goofs and you manually shift gears like before, so you have not lost anything
  • The screen shifter works well and is intuitive--swipe the direction you want the car to go

What I think will **** me up is, right now on a model 3, you push up for reverse and down for drive. The swipe is opposite 😂

But I'm def going to use the guess my gear mode, especially coming out of the garage.

+1 on the horn; just a terrible design idea. I bet I will be honking at everyone, lol! I think Tesla should’ve absolutely made the yoke an OPTION and they still could’ve had a round (stalkless) wheel with a bunch of buttons and scroll wheels etc with a reg horn in the middle. Elon with his strange, kid-like “gaming” ideas…well you can see the screen better with 1/2 steering wheel. Thank you but I could see the driver’s screen just fine with the normal round steering wheel dude.
I agree, and I think there is a strong possibility that a round wheel still might become an option in the future. It depends on how well received the yoke is among Tesla customers, and in the end functionality has to win out over aesthetics. I understand where Elon was trying to go with this, and in a FSD world the wheel becomes less important. Unfortunately, we just aren’t there yet.

Model S owner demographics tell us that S buyers skew older except for a few youngsters like @Tigers. Older buyers have years of muscle memory from decades of driving experience, and this seems like a significant adjustment to how we all know how to drive. I see no advantage to the yoke, and it seems evident it was done simply for the cool factor.

It won’t prevent me from buying the car, but I certainly hope there is an upgrade path or swap out program for those of us that just can’t get used to the yoke.

But sounds like there's no changing ambient lighting colors; so basically it has the same LED ambient lighting of a Toyota Camry, huh? 👎 :confused: Not exactly like the ambient lighting of the new MB EQS.
Building on that...

Agree that set-up is key. The long drive home gave me time to play and I ended up with a setup that leaves my arms more bent than in our X or old S. You arms/shoulders definitely get more of a workout during turns as you can no longer reach across the wheel and grab it at 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock to initiate a turn (using your back) and instead you are pushing the wheel up and around using your shoulders. I am not sure it is really any harder, just different muscles.

Overall, I agree that in a week or so, it'll all feel normal.
Will be interesting to see if yoke sticks. I can wait for a car so if by October we find out no one likes it hoping they change or I can cancel. Since day one I have thought "why change the steering wheel?" How we accelerate, brake and steer are ingrained since 15 years old.

Removing yokes and how we use turn signals or shifting is odd but easy to adapt.

I keep my hands up top on wheel and when I turn I let the wheel turn through my hands. Yoke will be odd to use.

Want it to work because I want an MS so badly.

I just uploaded a video to SmugMug of me driving around the neighborhood, traffic circles and parking lots--you can see I spend a fair amount of time trying to figure out where to put my hands, but I have to admit, it feels more comfortable already.

SmugMug is processing, so it might take some time to show up.

Awesome, thank you for all the time you’ve spent taking pics and answering questions. Love the MSM and white interior.

Oh wait, are we all just being super negative and toxic to the Tesla community? I think not. Much of this is all new and we all need to figure out if things like a completely redesigned steering wheel that’s not round will work while driving a super expensive, 1,020 HP/TQ vehicle right? It’s not negative; it’s more about practicality and usefulness.

Reactions: Aplus2005
I agree, and I think there is a strong possibility that a round wheel still might become an option in the future. It depends on how well received the yoke is among Tesla customers, and in the end functionality has to win out over aesthetics. I understand where Elon was trying to go with this, and in a FSD world the wheel becomes less important. Unfortunately, we just aren’t there yet.

Model S owner demographics tell us that S buyers skew older except for a few youngsters like @Tigers. Older buyers have years of muscle memory from decades of driving experience, and this seems like a significant adjustment to how we all know how to drive. I see no advantage to the yoke, and it seems evident it was done simply for the cool factor.

It won’t prevent me from buying the car, but I certainly hope there is an upgrade path or swap out program for those of us that just can’t get used to the yoke.
Yea I’m sure a company like Abstract Ocean will come out with an attachment.

Reactions: sflgator