Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Software update. Nothing new.

Attachments

• 22F7CA34-0785-488C-A09B-6FFCFC5D2D22.jpeg
    22F7CA34-0785-488C-A09B-6FFCFC5D2D22.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 65
On the subject of power.....
Looking at the HP curve from the delivery event (powercurve.jpg), all performance cars are following roughly the same curve slope after the P85 for the initial launch and first tens of MPH. The two primary distinctions between the P85, PxxDL and Plaid are the point at which the curves plateau and the plateau profile.

The P85 runs in the 450 hp range, the P100D in the 630 hp range and now the Plaid at 1050 hp.
The Plaid curve has a SLIGHTLY lower initial slope in comparison to the Performance and seems to be spot on the P100D.
The Plaid lays down a little bit on power as speed builds where the others simply fall off.

Watching all the videos and listening to Brooks, It occurs to me that-

The initial power delivery is likely traction limited from the P100D onward. The batteries with higher voltage can source more power at the same current levels so there is likely more power available than can be used at slower speeds. Basically, the slope of the post P85 curve is likely the sane limit of every day street car traction using very advanced traction control. There are small improvements in 0-60 but these likely will not register on the butt dyno. Brooks said as much when he said the big difference is that it keeps pulling. (addition here - the PLAID's power curve climbs in the 40 mph to 60 mph range while the others plateau. This alone will improve the 0-60 but on the tail end as opposed to the launch end. This is very useful.)

The ability of the Plaid battery to maintain that slope is the most interesting part for me. Tesla must have significantly reduced the pack's internal resistance (in combination with the higher voltage) to allow them to pull that level of power from the pack for an extended period of time. This improvement will show up as range as well as improved supercharging performance.

Coming from a P90DL, I expect the new car to launch a bit harder than my current car. This is not all that important as I have not done a running foot stab launch of my car in years. It was fun a few times in the beginning but gets old fast. In short, it will be a wash for me in my driving style.

What I see as incredibly useful is the inprovement in acceleration through 80 mph. This car will be unlike anything most of us will have driven on the street when it comes to pulling at higher speeds. It will be unlike anything any of us has driven on the street when it comes to the instantaneous availability of that power. No battery heating needed. Just leave it in PLAID and it will always be there for you. That, for me, is game changing.
Nice analysis. My plan is to also just keep it in PLAID mode and see how she performs; I would say it will rare for me to do the "drag strip" launch mode unless having a little more fun with say a Lambo, McLaren, Porsche 911TS, GT-R or what have you lol. j/k.

Reactions: TorqueMonster

In the video (Thanks, Omar!!) the yoke looks awkward to use for regular street driving.

I think there is a good reason why the round steering wheel (aside from flat-bottom) has prevailed over other short-lived squircle and oval designs tried by other manufacturers.

I’m sure one could get acclimated to the yoke, but would you want to if you didn’t have to?

Plaid SuperCharging, 146kW @ 52% 64FView attachment 672552
Now that’s confusing. Normally you can take the charge power in kW and divide by miles per hour to get the vehicle constant. (For example in my car 95kW is 389mi/hr, constant is 244 or 245Wh/mi.)

This data implies a constant of 146kW/590mi/hr = 247Wh/mi.

Which is a WAY lower constant than I expected from yesterday’s calcualtions

Do you know specifically what trim level this is? Looks like 21” in avatar. And obviously Plaid.

Could be a software bug. Would be nice to know how many rated miles 52% was on this vehicle. (Maybe this was a 400+ mi EPA range variant, less sticky tires or something?).

It looks to me like this vehicle has about 418 miles of rated range at 100%. Maybe it was the “420-mile model” and their display stuff is all set up to emulate a 420-mile range?

Or maybe I am missing something. Or screwing something up.

Side note: wonder if this was an optimal charge setup. Close to Model 3 mi/hr rates (with this lower constant), in any case, which is great. But with a 290Wh/mi constant (which I thought a 103kW 348-mile vehicle had), it would be only 500mi/hr. Still plenty good though.

Now that’s confusing. Normally you can take the charge power in kW and divide by miles per hour to get the vehicle constant. (For example in my car 95kW is 389mi/hr, constant is 244 or 245Wh/mi.)

This data implies a constant of 146kW/590mi/hr = 247Wh/mi.

Which is a WAY lower constant than I expected from yesterday’s calcualtions

Do you know specifically what trim level this is? Looks like 21” in avatar. And obviously Plaid.

Could be a software bug. Would be nice to know how many rated miles 52% was on this vehicle. (Maybe this was a 400+ mi EPA range variant, less sticky tires or something?).

It looks to me like this vehicle has about 418 miles of rated range at 100%.

Or maybe I am missing something. Or screwing something up.

Side note: wonder if this was an optimal charge setup. Close to Model 3 mi/hr rates (with this lower constant), in any case, which is great. But with a 290Wh/mi constant (which I thought a 103kW 348-mile vehicle had), it would be only 500mi/hr. Still plenty good though.
Picture is from Whole Mars Blog on Twitter...

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I just finished speaking with Tesla and I am hot as hell. Tesla is insisting on charging me the $10,000 price increase for converting a plaid+ order I placed on Battery Day. As my signature indicates, I have been a faithful Tesla customer and a shareholder as well. I will be canceling my plaid+ reservation and looking elsewhere for a new car. Good luck to all of you!
i don’t blame you, that’s really really really bad even by Tesla standards.

Reactions: HumanInput
I think we LR folks can stop checking our Tesla accounts - but for a very few buyers, most with June deliveries are Plaid orders. I‘ll just check the very last page of this forum every morning to see if there are any LR updates.
So far my LR order has been stuck at June for at least a week and a half… I’ve been checking almost every other day or so.