Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the subject of power.....
Looking at the HP curve from the delivery event (powercurve.jpg), all performance cars are following roughly the same curve slope after the P85 for the initial launch and first tens of MPH. The two primary distinctions between the P85, PxxDL and Plaid are the point at which the curves plateau and the plateau profile.

The P85 runs in the 450 hp range, the P100D in the 630 hp range and now the Plaid at 1050 hp.
The Plaid curve has a SLIGHTLY lower initial slope in comparison to the Performance and seems to be spot on the P100D.
The Plaid lays down a little bit on power as speed builds where the others simply fall off.

Watching all the videos and listening to Brooks, It occurs to me that-

The initial power delivery is likely traction limited from the P100D onward. The batteries with higher voltage can source more power at the same current levels so there is likely more power available than can be used at slower speeds. Basically, the slope of the post P85 curve is likely the sane limit of every day street car traction using very advanced traction control. There are small improvements in 0-60 but these likely will not register on the butt dyno. Brooks said as much when he said the big difference is that it keeps pulling. (addition here - the PLAID's power curve climbs in the 40 mph to 60 mph range while the others plateau. This alone will improve the 0-60 but on the tail end as opposed to the launch end. This is very useful.)

The ability of the Plaid battery to maintain that slope is the most interesting part for me. Tesla must have significantly reduced the pack's internal resistance (in combination with the higher voltage) to allow them to pull that level of power from the pack for an extended period of time. This improvement will show up as range as well as improved supercharging performance.

Coming from a P90DL, I expect the new car to launch a bit harder than my current car. This is not all that important as I have not done a running foot stab launch of my car in years. It was fun a few times in the beginning but gets old fast. In short, it will be a wash for me in my driving style.

What I see as incredibly useful is the inprovement in acceleration through 80 mph. This car will be unlike anything most of us will have driven on the street when it comes to pulling at higher speeds. It will be unlike anything any of us has driven on the street when it comes to the instantaneous availability of that power. No battery heating needed. Just leave it in PLAID and it will always be there for you. That, for me, is game changing.
Good points all around. I would add that besides battery improvements, the carbon-sleeved rotors were necessary to allow the motors to spin at high speeds (remember, only one gear) without overheating.

Last edited:
Is there any way to find out without someone cracking open the battery pack?
Not sure there is an easy way to tell cell type without doing that. No idea.

But:
Before we worry about these details (which may matter less than capacity and arrangement of cells), I would like to know what are the rated ranges of the vehicles?

What variants exist? What are their constants? What are their ranges?

As far as I can tell, literally no one knows, even though the vehicle is in their possession. Haha. I assume a Monroney of 348 miles means rated range of 348 miles - but we do not even know that for certain. But it is easily knowable...

Not sure there is an easy way to tell cell type without doing that. No idea.

But:
Before we worry about these details (which may matter less than capacity and arrangement of cells), I would like to know what are the rated ranges of the vehicles?

What variants exist? What are their constants? What are their ranges?

As far as I can tell, literally no one knows, even though the vehicle is in their possession. I assume a Monroney of 348 miles means rated range of 348 miles - but we do not even know that for certain. But it is easily knowable...
You mean like the MY SR Monroney that listed a front and rear motor? Tesla doesn’t give a darn about those since they rarely have cars sitting on dealer lots for people to browse window stickers. It would be nice to know the actual range but the Monroney is the last place I’d look for that.

At long last, here are my photos from the event. Thanks for your patience everyone!

C2F3AEE3-BF3B-43B3-A132-6DB485E79BDC.jpeg

557710D2-7B18-48B0-97D9-E0045F9BAF4E.jpeg

5BFD64BD-5B9F-404F-9AF9-9E8A18B410B2.jpeg

7393A3EA-237F-483C-9AA9-453A3A38522F.jpeg

180BCECE-C871-4EF0-9980-7D3CE1AD241D.jpeg

D3C4051E-840C-4057-8339-5969A73710E1.jpeg

EA4F935C-F0FE-4814-B5FC-3920AA01F064.jpeg

86C362C7-4AA9-419C-945E-ECDDB53CDD8E.jpeg

7BF4E105-54B5-4892-9E96-34FCD95D5094.jpeg

59B1EED1-3155-467A-8A8E-3D405FEDC985.jpeg

TL;DR Yes, it rocks -- it is probably the best system stock system I have listed to

Out of the box, it ddi not seem biased in any direction (i.e. bass-heavy) and there is +/- 8 dB on the equalizer, so lots of flexibility to tailor to whatever folks listen to.
That's a 940W, 22 speaker audio system. More power than most home wifi or home theater system. It's great that Tesla places so much importance in sound, and noise reduction.

Does the rear seat entertainment system use the main audio system only, or does it use a separate Bluetooth sound system also? I don't want to listen to kids playing games at the back while driving. Does it come with a game controller?

Skimming through the owners manual for the new version, some observations:
  • Surprised to see that the new version has fixed front headrests, no adjustments. The Tesla headrests have always been poorly designed.
  • Astonished to see the seatbelts are still not adjustable for height! All the other fancy technical stuff, but the car lacks this basic adjustment for comfort that nearly every other car has!!
  • The instrument cluster is no longer configurable. What you see is what you get.
  • Glad to see that rear seat passengers can now operate their own ventilation controls and seat heaters.
  • Even though the website refers to “heated windshield,” the manual makes no mention of anything other than conventional defrosting. I had thought that “heated windshield” meant electrically heated, and I suspect some other people did, too (there was a post on here about it after the earlier reveal event).
  • One other puzzling detail is that the swipe direction to choose "Drive" is UP, and down for Reverse. That is the opposite of what we do with the shift lever on most cars with an automatic transmission. My inclination would be to "push down" for Drive, as I do now and have done for 25 years or more. I have no doubt that this unconventional choice will result in an accident sooner or later in which somebody made the opposite choice from what they intended, and causes an accident.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the rules allow for a EPA range numbers that apply for more efficient, smaller wheels, even though you have 21"s
Yes, it does depend on the take rate. But whether that is done is up to Tesla.

More recently, they have been going with ranges appropriate for the wheels with independent EPA tests for each.

But right now we only have the minimum (?) value (348-mile, and only from the Monroney, not from the car), anyway. And that is the opposite of what you would expect with that EPA rule.

@omarsultan appreciate all the clear pics and videos! were you on the 101 south near calabasas yesterday? (friday 6/11) i saw a new MSM stuck in traffic.

did they honor the pre-refresh order 2k credit?
Thanks. No, sadly, I spent most of the day cooling my heels on WebEx with an occasional trip to the garage. :). No 2K credit for me, I did not order until this year.