Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@omarsultan You have been invaluable over the last few days & I can’t say thanks enough. Your incredible generosity & kindness say a lot, especially with no attempts to monetize or gain likes/subscribers/whatever.

I’m curious if there’s anything we can do to say thanks? Maybe a charitable cause you care about that we can support to show some appreciation?
I appreciate the offer, but noting is necessary. When I bought my first Tesla, forums like this (and even some members on this thread) helped educate and make me smarter, so this is just my oppty to give back. I know how frustrating this process has been, so I am happy to be able to do something to help take the edge off.

Yeah, it certainly looked like from the Tesla test drive videos from the Plaid Delivery Event, the driver just simply put it into Drag Strip Mode (already set to Plaid Mode) and waited maybe 5-10 sec for it to be ready and just hit the accelerator full throttle. I would imagine that just leaving it set as default to Plaid Mode for full power whether you use it or not is just fine (as long as it just stays in that mode without having to switch it every time...can't imagine tthey would make you switch it into Plaid mode every time).
There were running the cars continuously at the event--maybe they had to warm up the first time, but after that, they just ran in a loop--Elon even made a comment to that effect on-stage.

Bill again confirmed it to be 18650

1623545189708.png

It was not Omarsultan who posted anything like that. I checked with him.

It was not Omarsultan who posted anything like that. I checked with him.
You're correct. He did not say battery requires heating. He posted a spreadsheet with answers to Plaid Questions and one of the questions was about battery heating. He said he doesn't think it requires heating and that the car was pretty quick on the ramp. My bad, but I'm certain the battery requires preconditioning because I remember seeing it somewhere here.

Omar's neural plasticity (Google it) update. Got to drive around for a bit today.
  • Getting quite good with the turn signals--stopped reaching for a stalk most of the time and can hit the buttons purely by feel--now working on getting the hang of the short press (will blink lights as long as I hold the button), vs long-press (blinkers stay on until you cancel them or complete a turn)
  • I am still not winning awards for yoke steering, but the big mental breakthrough, was to stop trying to apply round wheel techniques like hand-over-hand to the yoke--was much better today in terms of less fumbling around-continue to be optimistic on a week or so to build new muscle memory
  • One handed steering is so easy--between the wheel shape and the arm rests on the door and console--feels very natural

It took me like 10 times before I got used to AP. Strange things take time. I kept on holding the wheel too hard and disengaging AS. Now it's second nature.

I'm intensely curious about the plethora of changes that we don't know about. This feels like the biggest refresh since Aug/Oct 2016 and we still don't know enough. That update brought p100d and hw2 almost at the same time but this seems to be more multifaceted (whole body looks the same but clearly a lot changed in the undercarriage and structure).

Thanks @omarsultan and @Atomadam for your information but I really hope others get delivery too so we can expand upon our knowledge. Hw2 rollout was way faster even if the software updates took 12 months to even somewhat match Hw1.

You're correct. He did not say battery requires heating. He posted a spreadsheet with answers to Plaid Questions and one of the questions was about battery heating. He said he doesn't think it requires heating and that the car was pretty quick on the ramp. My bad, but I'm certain the battery requires preconditioning because I remember seeing it somewhere here.

The Plaid does require preconditioning. I grabbed this screenshot from a video of a new Plaid owner doing a highway pull. When you have selected the "Plaid" drive mode, "Drag Strip Mode" can then be selected which brings up the message below on the binnacle display. I couldn't tell you how long it takes from cold (my 2020 Model S Performance would take around 45min) but I'm very curious to know if Tesla improved this given the new battery pack, cooling, etc. I saw this same message on the binnacle in a couple other ride-along videos from the event and it looked like double digits, but very hard to tell with camera shake and stuff.

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 2.28.01 PM.png

Here's a screen grab of it from another video. Can't quite read it, but it kinda looks like double digits.

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 9.26.29 PM.png

Last edited:
Made a Supercharging stop--was only a 120 kW charger, so did not test speed yet--that is on the to do list. Here is the data:

• Started: 44% / 170 miles
  • Ended: 79% / 310 miles
  • kWh added during charging session (per Tessie): 35.2 kWh
Now, Tesla and my Monroney sticker both state a range of 348. But 170 miles / 0.44 = 386 miles and 310 miles / 0.79 = 392 miles, which implies either the rated miles algorithm is off or Tesla is sand-bagging.

Meanwhile, 35.2 kWh / 0.35 = 100 kWh which would be the usable pack with the expectation that there is a buffer beyond that.

I feel like there is more to the battery pack in these beasts--Elon & Co are being very circumspect and that does not make much sense.

Last edited:
Omar's neural plasticity (Google it) update. Got to drive around for a bit today.
  • Getting quite good with the turn signals--stopped reaching for a stalk most of the time and can hit the buttons purely by feel--now working on getting the hang of the short press (will blink lights as long as I hold the button), vs long-press (blinkers stay on until you cancel them or complete a turn)
  • I am still not winning awards for yoke steering, but the big mental breakthrough, was to stop trying to apply round wheel techniques like hand-over-hand to the yoke--was much better today in terms of less fumbling around-continue to be optimistic on a week or so to build new muscle memory
  • One handed steering is so easy--between the wheel shape and the arm rests on the door and console--feels very natural
Glad to hear about the one-handed driving, especially for highway miles.

The Plaid does require preconditioning. I grabbed this screenshot from a video of a new Plaid owner doing a highway pull. When you have selected the "Plaid" drive mode, "Drag Strip Mode" can then be selected which brings up the message below on the binnacle display. I couldn't tell you how long it takes from cold (my 2020 Model S Performance would take around 45min) but I'm very curious to know if Tesla improved this given the new battery pack, cooling, etc. I saw this same message on the binnacle in a couple other ride-along videos from the event and it looked like double digits, but very hard to tell with camera shake and stuff.

View attachment 672827

Very interesting. Hopefully it is a faster process.
Any more details revealed from those pulls?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid