Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh this is interesting! From Motor Trend web site:

Unplugged Performance Reveals Insane Model S Plaid Pikes Peak Racer​

"Illustrating this point, Schaffer points out that as the state of charge decreased in the Model 3, "the power would go down in ratio to some degree." The same does not hold true for the Unplugged Performance's Pikes Plaid racer. At one point Pobst rolled into the pits at Laguna Seca with 34 percent charge remaining, only to announce the car feels as quick as it does with a full charge. "That's a big difference."

Honest question, not meant to start a war between the classes...
What is the point of getting Plaid (other than getting a car sooner at this point)?

Here's my reasoning. The LR goes 0-60 in 3.1. Plaid apparently only does 2.5 to 2.7 unless "engaged" or whatever which takes 5 minutes and puts it into a stance for takeoff. So what other value am I missing? Thinking back to the days of the P models, you'd pay $20k for the added speed. Why is it now so much more? Really not trying to make pokes at peacocking or anything, truly trying to understand.
It’s a valid question. And precisely why the LR makes up the bulk of the orders.

Reactions: elguapo
Talk about crushed dreams lol
On the plus side, that is less of a wait than most of us have already been thru with no visibility as when we will get our cars.

On the minus side, if your promised October delivery works out as well as my March one did, your dreams will have some more crushing in the future 😉

My LR is still holding for June. Fingers crossed.

Order: RN1144 | Order Date: 1/27 | Order Location: Los Angeles | Order Model: LR | Order Customizations: FSD, Arachnid | Order Color: Black Exterior/Black Interior | CURRENT DELIVERY WINDOW: June (as of 6/13/21)

Hoping you get yours so we can see a LR for real and make sure they did not change anything. I think the only thing Elon is leaving me in June is a flaming bag of dog poo on my doorstep and Franz will be ringing the bell.

Honest question, not meant to start a war between the classes...
What is the point of getting Plaid (other than getting a car sooner at this point)?

Here's my reasoning. The LR goes 0-60 in 3.1. Plaid apparently only does 2.5 to 2.7 unless "engaged" or whatever which takes 5 minutes and puts it into a stance for takeoff. So what other value am I missing? Thinking back to the days of the P models, you'd pay $20k for the added speed. Why is it now so much more? Really not trying to make pokes at peacocking or anything, truly trying to understand.
I had pretty much the same question as this about a 100 pages back right after the event. I’m holding LR and Plaid orders hoping to decide which one I get. Plaid shows June currently.

I am waiting for some LRs to be delivered and for people to start uploading impressions. Want to see what other hardware changes are there besides the missing bolster ventilation (if any). Besides that, it would seem you are right that the main draw is the cutting edge tech and the speed/acceleration that it enables.

My rationale, if I were to get the Plaid, is also that this is probably the only time getting a Plaid will serve me two purposes - getting the car early and letting me experience a performance vehicle for the first (and probably only) time in my life since I am inching close to 40, kids growing up, other responsibilities on the horizon. Until now, the fastest car I owned was a Model 3 LR, and before that, a Honda Accord Touring V6. 😅 From that perspective, Plaid makes all the sense in the world to me in the moment. I suspect for people who have the “need for speed” nothing else but Plaid will do.

I did do a bit of “creative math” if you will, telling myself that it’s not $50k more but in fact only the delta of the financing monthly loan payment from the LR over a period of 2 years which is how long I will keep this car in all likelihood. That comes out to be significantly below $50k and my mind is sufficiently duped into thinking I’m making a good choice. Haha!

In the end, I’ve still not made a decision but fear I may have to real soon. My SA has been hinting that VIN assignment will be a sudden thing over the next few days as centers get their cars since most centers are now assigning VINs when cars are at the lot rather than at factory.

The LR is likely a 3.4-3.7 second car without Insane Mode and Dragstrip mode enabled, and the battery preconditioning.
Nah. I bet it demonstrates 3.1 quite easily. We are in traction limited territory with the plaid. Tesla has made plenty of cars that can do upper 2s at this point.
Plaid needs all the tricks it can come up with to nail a 1.99

Nah. I bet it demonstrates 3.1 quite easily. We are in traction limited territory with the plaid. Tesla has made plenty of cars that can do upper 2s at this point.
Plaid needs all the tricks it can come up with to nail a 1.99
Then why equip it with those modes? The M3P certainly doesn't need it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the LR also has a cheetah mode; as both cars in the owner's manual have instructions on launch control.

The LR is likely a 3.4-3.7 second car without Insane Mode and Dragstrip mode enabled, and the battery preconditioning.
If your estimate is accurate, that would be quite disappointing. That would mean that for regular everyday driving without prep, the LR that I just spent $100k on with 21” wheels and FSD, would be slower than my Performance Model Y.

I hope this isn’t the case!

Last edited:
I had pretty much the same question as this about a 100 pages back right after the event. I’m holding LR and Plaid orders hoping to decide which one I get. Plaid shows June currently.

I am waiting for some LRs to be delivered and for people to start uploading impressions. Want to see what other hardware changes are there besides the missing bolster ventilation (if any). Besides that, it would seem you are right that the main draw is the cutting edge tech and the speed/acceleration that it enables.

My rationale, if I were to get the Plaid, is also that this is probably the only time getting a Plaid will serve me two purposes - getting the car early and letting me experience a performance vehicle for the first (and probably only) time in my life since I am inching close to 40, kids growing up, other responsibilities on the horizon. Until now, the fastest car I owned was a Model 3 LR, and before that, a Honda Accord Touring V6. 😅 From that perspective, Plaid makes all the sense in the world to me in the moment. I suspect for people who have the “need for speed” nothing else but Plaid will do.

I did do a bit of “creative math” if you will, telling myself that it’s not $50k more but in fact only the delta of the financing monthly loan payment from the LR over a period of 2 years which is how long I will keep this car in all likelihood. That comes out to be significantly below $50k and my mind is sufficiently duped into thinking I’m making a good choice. Haha!

In the end, I’ve still not made a decision but fear I may have to real soon. My SA has been hinting that VIN assignment will be a sudden thing over the next few days as centers get their cars since most centers are now assigning VINs when cars are at the lot rather than at factory.

$40,000 price difference. Get rid of the car in 3-4 years and recoup at least 50% of that. So less than a $20,000 price difference to own the quickest production car in the world.