Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100% chance this doesn't happen. You're buying a product with a yoke from factory. If it's not something you want, are willing to try, or hate without trying, don't buy the car? They don't owe anyone a "free full steering wheel".... I'd even be surprised if they offer it as an aftermarket purchase.
I respectfully disagree. If it's proven by thousands of refresh Tesla MS drivers (and now the industry testers/magazines) that the yoke steering offers virtually little to no benefit (other than it looking "cool" and possibly having a better view of the driver's screen in front), while actually making drive-ability more difficult with less convenient buttons (e.g. the tiny horn button right near your thumb & trying desperately to find the blinker buttons or horn especially when the yoke is turned), then why shouldn't Tesla "do the right thing" and offer a no-cost swap? It's a bit unprofessional and hokey just to be different and change something that's proven for decades to work well and be safer than any alternative design.

I respectfully disagree. If it's proven by thousands of refresh Tesla MS drivers (and now the industry testers/magazines) that the yoke steering offers virtually little to no benefit (other than it looking "cool" and possibly having a better view of the driver's screen in front), while actually making drive-ability more difficult with less convenient buttons (e.g. the tiny horn button right near your thumb & trying desperately to find the blinker buttons or horn especially when the yoke is turned), then why shouldn't Tesla "do the right thing" and offer a no-cost swap? It's a bit unprofessional and hokey just to be different and change something that's proven for decades to work well and be safer than any alternative design.
The round wheel that was seen has exactly the same turn signal and horn buttons. So it wouldn't help with that at all.

Or are you suggesting that they will offer a no-cost replacement of the steering column as well as the wheel with at least a turn signal stalk?

It's going to become a habit to enable drag strip mode as soon as Plaid drivers get in their car. I mean, you want to be prepared in case a Bugatti Chiron or Ferrari SF90 pulls up next to you 😂
Funny b/c Brooks from DragTimes lives in South FL and is taking delivery of his MS Plaid soon (July or Aug) just about the same time he's taking delivery of his new red Ferrari SF90!!! :oops:

I hope a lot of people hate the yoke.
And the red paint...and light wood...and those 19" wheels

My dream car might be a used one...

The round wheel that was seen has exactly the same turn signal and horn buttons. So it wouldn't help with that at all.

Or are you suggesting that they will offer a no-cost replacement of the steering column as well as the wheel with at least a turn signal stalk?
Okay but at least 1/2 the problem would be solved, no pun intended! A full, round steering wheel for hand-over-hand turns, nice, forearm on the top of the steering wheel hwy cruising (and a little knee steering)...wouldn't that be nice? Ah, remember the "good 'ole days?"

Reactions: EVonly
I completely disagree. I’m buying the car with or without the yoke, and I’m willing to see if I can adjust to the yoke. No car is going to have 100% of the features you want, and that is why car customization exists. It is a large market. Maybe I want different wheels, tinted windows, or an aftermarket stereo system. Am I supposed to not buy the vehicle because it doesn’t come with tinted windows or the wheels I want? I look at the yoke the same way. If I don’t like it or can’t get accustomed to it, I will find a source to buy an aftermarket steering wheel from. I would prefer for that source to be Tesla.

Why would Tesla want to alienate their customers and say no upgrade path will ever exist for a round steering wheel? Tesla just fundamentally changed the input interface that everyone has used to control their cars for as long as they have been driving. They apparently did it for no good reason except Elon thought it looked cool. The muscle memory that has been developed over decades of driving is going to be very difficult if not impossible to overcome for some drivers. Why tell all these customers to screw off? If the outcry is severe, and I would be surprised if it wasn’t, the market will dictate that Tesla has no option but to provide a suitable alternative. This is a very simple fix since Tesla has already been producing round steering wheels for the test mules. If Tesla doesn’t offer a no cost swap, then I would be willing to pay for it. You telling people to go buy another car because they don’t like the yoke is total nonsense.
EXACTLY!!! 100%. 👍

Reactions: EVonly