Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100% chance this doesn't happen. You're buying a product with a yoke from factory. If it's not something you want, are willing to try, or hate without trying, don't buy the car? They don't owe anyone a "free full steering wheel".... I'd even be surprised if they offer it as an aftermarket purchase.
I completely disagree. I’m buying the car with or without the yoke, and I’m willing to see if I can adjust to the yoke. No car is going to have 100% of the features you want, and that is why car customization exists. It is a large market. Maybe I want different wheels, tinted windows, or an aftermarket stereo system. Am I supposed to not buy the vehicle because it doesn’t come with tinted windows or the wheels I want? I look at the yoke the same way. If I don’t like it or can’t get accustomed to it, I will find a source to buy an aftermarket steering wheel from. I would prefer for that source to be Tesla.

Why would Tesla want to alienate their customers and say no upgrade path will ever exist for a round steering wheel? Tesla just fundamentally changed the input interface that everyone has used to control their cars for as long as they have been driving. They apparently did it for no good reason except Elon thought it looked cool. The muscle memory that has been developed over decades of driving is going to be very difficult if not impossible to overcome for some drivers. Why tell all these customers to screw off? If the outcry is severe, and I would be surprised if it wasn’t, the market will dictate that Tesla has no option but to provide a suitable alternative. This is a very simple fix since Tesla has already been producing round steering wheels for the test mules. If Tesla doesn’t offer a no cost swap, then I would be willing to pay for it. You telling people to go buy another car because they don’t like the yoke is total nonsense.

I completely disagree. I’m buying the car with or without the yoke, and I’m willing to see if I can adjust to the yoke. No car is going to have 100% of the features you want, and that is why car customization exists. It is a large market. Maybe I want different wheels, tinted windows, or an aftermarket stereo system. Am I supposed to not buy the vehicle because it doesn’t come with tinted windows or the wheels I want? I look at the yoke the same way. If I don’t like it or can’t get accustomed to it, I will find a source to buy an aftermarket steering wheel from. I would prefer for that source to be Tesla.

Why would Tesla want to alienate their customers and say no upgrade path will ever exist for a round steering wheel? Tesla just fundamentally changed the input interface that everyone has used to control their cars for as long as they have been driving. They apparently did it for no good reason except Elon thought it looked cool. The muscle memory that has been developed over decades of driving is going to be very difficult if not impossible to overcome for some drivers. Why tell all these customers to screw off? If the outcry is severe, and I would be surprised if it wasn’t, the market will dictate that Tesla has no option but to provide a suitable alternative. This is a very simple fix since Tesla has already been producing round steering wheels for the test mules. If Tesla doesn’t offer a no cost swap, then I would be willing to pay for it. You telling people to go buy another car because they don’t like the yoke is total nonsense.

I am in yoke or not.

I do see your point but also think Tesla is very capable of a big FU to their customers as well. I think the outcry is severe for both sides. I do not know at what stage the round wheel is at in development/testing/production to know how viable they are to offer it. It will not be a no cost option but maybe a reasonably priced option for some that cannot adapt to the yoke.

I was looking for all session tires yesterday and could find any to fit the back. So far only summer tires and winter tires.

I had read a couple months ago that in July they are going to put out the Pilot 4A/S in the 295 size. Have not been able to confirm it. If not I may just go to a 275/35 in the 4 A/S in the rear.

Also would be interested in seeing the Pilot EV line in this size.

• Informative
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Good point, and no struggle here. I've been checking a lot.

Does anyone find it strange that the title of the Motor Trend article is: 2022 Model S Plaid: 0-60 in 1.98 ?
"Tesla granted us access to be the first independent source to test the 2022 Model S Plaid before its June 10 customer-delivery event."
Thought they're all 2021s.
Hmmmm
If anyone hasn't read the full MT article, it's definitely worth reading. I skimmed through it earlier but I read the entire article just now.. awesome

Lucid also said they had planned to deliver 20k cars by the end of the 2022 and now they're hoping for ~500 range for this year. Production is immensely difficult and Tesla has a huge advantage in that regard. It may be more than just a year for a Lucid.

As much as Tesla pisses me off with their marketing and delivery shenanigans, I believe most of you when you say it will be worth it - will to keep the faith. They are untouchable now for range, performance, luxury, and charging. I keep finding that out each time I contemplate jumping ship to another brand. Now if this were a discussion in a few years, maybe my thoughts would be different. In December, it never crossed our minds to go electric - now we are waiting for an S, X, and Y. Sorry, but the Jeeps are staying.

Advice needed: How would it look if I wrapped the wood with CF? I got a call from Tesla and they made me that offer as well. Would it look the same as CF? how much would it cost to have that done at an autobody shop? I can get the car a month faster if I do this.
I think I would be okay with the switch from CF to dark wood. The light wood looks like outright garbage to me though, just a personal opinion.

Here is the taper on an SC session 62% to 90%. I was planning to running it down further, but that didn't have time. Ignore the drop-off at the end, data collection bug.

View attachment 674520
For comparison sake, this is the absolute best charging session my X has had in 2 years. Note that the outside temp is about 60F...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 3.03.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 3.03.49 PM.png
    258.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Informative
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
While there is an internal camera, they are not using it yet.

They aren't using it for that purpose, at least. In Model 3 it appears to be enabled, but it may only increase nags (for now). There are some videos of people testing it on Twitter at least and it appears to not like it when you stop paying attention. It's a bit unclear exactly how much it is used.

Hard to tell from that picture exactly due to unclear depth/dimensions, but looks like a slightly (?) larger lens than Model 3 and perhaps less obscured by the mirror

Turns out there are IR illuminators hidden behind the plastic, too! (This was discussed in the driving automation area.) So a very capable implementation which will not require other illumination to function. (This should be expected since driver monitoring is required in the EU going forward, and it has to work at night of course.)

I assume that these are not visible to the eye at night or anything, of course. They're well hidden!

For comparison sake, this is the absolute best charging session my X has had in 2 years. Note that the outside temp is about 60F...

Please talk to me like a third grader and explain the comparison. Being new to the EV world, what am I looking at and how will that effect my life on the road - I will do 30-40k miles per year in the S.

I think I would be okay with the switch from CF to dark wood. The light wood looks like outright garbage to me though, just a personal opinion.
Agreed, i think of old persons car when I see the wood grain, absolutely boggled my mind Tesla even considered it, let alone it will be in most cars produced, at least early on.

Oh, all I saw mentioned were 0-60 and 1/4 mile times being discussed. FYI, the Cobra Jet 1400 is an electric vehicle. Had roll cage, wheelie bars, etc added due to the 1400 HP it produces. My point was watch out, everybody's coming to the game.

Worth a comment...

And sorta has to do with delivery...😁

When everyone comes to the market, where will they get their batteries and other tech from?

Will the above be as good as Tesla circa 2018?

Will they be able to support? I know, that is a low bar to clear... comparing to Tesla SvC...

Will they be able to produce in quantity? How long? Look at Lucid, could be a year or more...

And if, by some chance, say, the EQS comes out in the fall and Beats the refresh MS long range in every respect, where will you charge it on trips?

So before you cancel or delay your order (See what I did there). Some food for thought.

Please talk to me like a third grader and explain the comparison. Being new to the EV world, what am I looking at and how will that effect my life on the road - I will do 30-40k miles per year in the S.
It only matters on a very long road trip, when charge time becomes a multiple-hour factor in total trip time.

Int the graph I shared, you can see that a 2019 Raven X peaks at 195kw (sometimes 200kw) and then rapidly drops to 90-ish. The Model 3 sustains a high charge rate for much longer, because the thermal management and architecture of the 3/Y is improved over the previous S/X. With the refresh S, my hope is that the curve is similar to the 3/Y curve, which can save significant time.

Also attaching the graph for a Model 3 Performance from 2018. This is not apples to apples, since one pack is smaller than the other, but the yellow line is the important bit. Also this is only on a v2 charger.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 3.13.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 3.13.45 PM.png
    295.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Youre giving lucid a little too much credit. We have no idea what build quality or attention to details they will have. None. They aren't producing the damn cars yet.

Plus if it is base Lucid vs LR Model S, I'll take the Model S any day. Again - the Lucid looks like my rich great grand daddys car.
Then perhaps you should ease up on the Tesla MS complaints then, lol? 😜 Anyhow, there's the Audi E-Tron GT as well but the max battery range isn't close nor is the performance unless you opt for the $160k E-Tron RS GT. That's why nixed it from my list.

Last edited:
Reactions: HumanInput