Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put my order in just a couple of weeks ago, so I'm not complaining about my projected October delivery (non-Plaid), but it really seems crazy that it will take that long to work through the backlog of orders on what is a nearly $100k car. If they can average 1,500/week starting in, say, July, that would suggest that there are 20,000+ orders for the refreshed S. That might not seem like a lot compared to the 3, but the peak # of Model S's Tesla has ever sold in a year was 29,000 back in 2018.
It is likely generous to think they can crank out 1500 cars/week in July.

I put my order in just a couple of weeks ago, so I'm not complaining about my projected October delivery (non-Plaid), but it really seems crazy that it will take that long to work through the backlog of orders on what is a nearly $100k car. If they can average 1,500/week starting in, say, July, that would suggest that there are 20,000+ orders for the refreshed S. That might not seem like a lot compared to the 3, but the peak # of Model S's Tesla has ever sold in a year was 29,000 back in 2018.
Please, at some point today, enter any dealership in the country and read this comment to them so they can laugh at you

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Finally decided to contribute my roller coaster of an order process to the group. I’ve had nothing in terms of estimated dates until just now:

Two orders currently out there:

RN1150 ordered May - Plaid black/white int/CF/19” Tempest no FSD - June

RN1143 pre refresh January - LR black/white/19” tempest no FSD - July

Crazy to see June all of a sudden even though there’s no VINs and no actual date range, and considering it’s the 22nd already I’m not holding my breath. Not to mention the CF and white interior which didn’t seem like they were coming this soon. Again though, first time I’ve seen dates at all in this process.

and just like that, the LR now is back to blank. Plaid still says June

I just spent the weekend in Bisbee, AZ (great little town) and on the way to and from Arizona there were many truckloads of refresh Model Ses on the 10 heading out from California. Based on the number of them that I saw it seems like Fremont is cranking them out.
Makes you wonder how many Plaid owners out there fail to join the best Tesla forum 😅😅

but the peak # of Model S's Tesla has ever sold in a year was 29,000 back in 2018.
Where are you getting that number from? Tesla doesn't release Model S specific numbers, but they were doing close to 100k/year S&X combined and the split was close to 40/60, so that would be 40k Model S per year. (And a lot of people have been waiting for a refresh of the Model S.)

Also, the VINs are in the 430k range, and they have only been making the Model S since 2012, so 9 years. That means that they are averaging ~47k Model Ss per year.

Not to mention they haven't been producing/selling cars for the last 6 months so there is a ~6 month pileup of demand. So I would guess there is significantly more backlog than 20k orders.

Last edited:
Just pulled the trigger on upgrading the Tempest wheels to Arachnids. The SA I spoke to said it won't affect my place in line, because until I have an estimated delivery date, there is nothing to affect. I asked if this will change my RN number and he said no.

He also checked to verify I would not feel a price increase, because material costs just increased the Model Y price and he wouldn't be surprised if the LR is next.

I then told him I haven't bothered reaching out to my SA yet, because I understand you cannot tell me anything I can't learn online, so why bother you with problems you can't solve. He replied "Thank you SOOOO much. I'm glad to hear you understand our situation".

Where are you getting that number from? Tesla doesn't release Model S specific numbers, but they were doing close to 100k/year S&X combined and the split was close to 40/60, so that would be 40k Model S per year. (And a lot of people have been waiting for a refresh of the Model S.)

Also, the VINs are in the 430k range, and they have only been making the Model S since 2012, so 9 years. That means that they are averaging ~47k Model Ss per year.

Not every VIN becomes a produced customer car but Tesla definitely produced about 40k per year from 2015 to 2018 based on their disclosures. The Model 3 affected S sales after that.

I'm curious how long it is going to take (measured by owners receiving their cars) to have someone NOT like something about the car apart from the funky wheel. Could it be that Tesla actually took the time to deliver a car with fit and finish up to a reasonable standard? That would be a nice wow if true.

I've taken delivery of several as well as accompanying several friends during their delivery. None of those cars were a match to the Plaid I saw (from the outside only) at the Service Center yesterday. It's only one data point but impressive none the less.
So far, the only thing I dislike about the car is the Model 3-style interior door releases--miss the handles of my old S. I've given them time and I am sure I'll get used to them eventually, but meh.

** edit to make clear I'm referring to interior door release

Last edited:
This is most expensive car i’ve ever bought

Not a good experience so far

Was hoping june or july delivery. If it’s august going to be very aggravated
Why do we keep seeing posts like this in an era of covid with known supplier issues across the auto industry like Ford and GM have?

Yes…Tesla communication should be better but that truly is the only legitimate gripe I can see.

So far, the only thing I dislike about the car is the Model 3-style door releases--miss the handles of my old S. I've given them time and I am sure I'll get used to them eventually, but meh.
I was VERY confused on this until I realized you were talking about the interior door handles. Is the "button" really that bad? I know it is not really a button.

All of you guys complaining about how this is such a horrible experience, it isn't that bad. It's a new car with the latest technology, there are going to be some delays. If you have ever ordered Ferrari's or Porsche GT cars, it's way worse. For my Porsche GT4 and GT3, I waited a year once I gave my SA my build. It was also very tough to get an allocation. Most people had to pay over msrp. A lot of new cars are going over msrp right now. Please stop whining about waiting an extra month or two. If it is so terrible then get something else. There is no other car in this price range that compares, and if it comes remotely close you will probably be paying over msrp right now. Let's share more pictures, experiences and delivery news.
Not to mention it’s during the COVID pandemic with a crap ton of supplier issues across the auto industry. Yes communication from Tesla is not good. Hasn’t been for a long time. But beyond that, it seems to be out of their control.

Tesla has taken much of the excitement out of getting the car due to me waiting 5 months without a date or communication. I am ready to objectively look at it and realize it is not a perfect car and there will be things I will dislike. I am ok with it not being a perfect car - this wait has helped lower my expectations of Tesla and has grounded me more in reality.

I am now shopping a loaded up S7 that checks a lot of the boxes as well. Same price as the S and if the S does not work soon, I can go to that and will be just as happy. Not as fast - but fast enough.

Still blank as of this AM.
You will get CRUSHED on the value of the Audi S7 over 1-3+ years...just something to think about when you want to trade in for your next one.