Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my Plaid delivered today!

1. This particular car had a build date of 6/19. So, it's not one of those off of the Fremont holding lot.
Thanks so much for the write up. Makes me refresh the order page even more.
What defines a build date? Is it defined by the last touch, like trim added on 6/19 plus final inspection? Could still have sat on a lot for months between that and finalization?

I see a white one with white seats to the right...Plaid? And do you know the trim...wood or CF? I've been trying to get pics and documentation of Plaids being delivered to our RM since Tesla Corp keeps telling him Aug for my delivery when I think it's bull$!t if they say they can't delivery my build in July! Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: HumanInput
The range is nice to have up over 400, but the real reason I want 19s is that I beat up rims like no one else. And I live in Boston. Any questions?
Couldn't agree more w/ your logic... my street alone has multiple tire-eating potholes. Happy to save $4k, I guess.

How do you feel about navigating Boston in a S vs. a 3? I think I will miss the "point and shoot" nature of the 3... ideal for lane changes on 93 and cutting people off in roundabouts...

Hmmm...seems like that guy had a terrible time removing that front license plate holder...1 hour's worth of "elbow grease" to finally get the glue off using GooGone. I've seen others who said it was all done within 15min. ;)

Use a hair dryer on the adhesive to soften it, took me about 3 minutes after removing the screws. Then, wd-40 to get any remaining residue. Finally, clean with glass cleaner. Use microfiber.

Spoke to SA.

When you do the switch from CF to Wood, with no increase in price, this basically puts you into the system as IF you placed a new order. It certainly bumps you up in line from if you stuck with CF, but doesn’t mean your at the front of the line. Said June at this point most likely not happening, but never know. Would assume over the next few weeks to get a VIN and delivery based on my build, just like what the rep said from Fremont that switched me to the wood from CF.

This makes sense now. Because you switch to wood from CF it’s like putting in a new order, so probably like 3-4 weeks or so from that date…..speculation of course.

Carbon fiber and 19” rims are delayed for production.…..maybe August/September is what I was told, just FYI. Outside of Black, MSM, and some white also delay….sorry Red orders.

See what happens.
Not sure about that - switched last Friday, system updated Monday, got a vin on Tuesday (yesterday), now have delivery scheduled for Saturday at 10am. Fingers crossed for ya.

Regarding the front license plate, the refresh has that weird 5-point screw on the face of the plate itself and not the underneath part that required needle nose pliers previous. There's nothing on the bottom to remove, so it should be far easier to remove these plates. I haven't tried it myself yet, so cannot verify what lies beneath (glue or otherwise) and if there's an actual hole below all that.

I have a photo, will upload it later.

Edit: Now with photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    724 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0268.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Just an FYI. I am charging to 90% on a Plaid/Blue/21" and range is showing 354 miles at 90%. So that would be 393 miles at 100%. Not sure if this is accurate. But interesting. My Raven S never showed above the rated range.
Mine does this too--speculation is its a bug and not using the right coefficient for the 21" wheels.

I see a white one with white seats to the right...Plaid? And do you know the trim...wood or CF? I've been trying to get pics and documentation of Plaids being delivered to our RM since Tesla Corp keeps telling him Aug for my delivery when I think it's bull$!t if they say they can't delivery my build in July! Thank you!
The white on white car you see in that picture is a mirage of the Plaid you think exists. If you look at the door handles, you can clearly see that white car is actually a Model 3.

First time poster here. Found this site a few days ago and have been reading through all of this. I purchased a model Y for my GF about 2 months ago and decided to place an order for a Plaid Model S after I fell in love with the Tesla feel. I sold my AMG GTS 2 weeks ago because I thought that the delivery window in my account of 6-21 to 6-31 was legit. This morning my delivery just disappeared and its blank. I was never contacted by a service advisor. I have finished all the steps as well, just waiting on a delivery window.

Long story short I called them directly and got someone on the phone to look at my account. She told me that the soonest I would see my Black on Black(carbon) with 21" arachnids was September.....like getting hit in the gut....uggghh...

I ordered at the end of May, the configurator stated that I would see a June delivery. She stated that meant they would start delivering in June, didn't mean my car. I guess I better get familiar with Uber. I would cancel and buy something else, but let's be honest, what competes with this car!?
Welcome to the club! I sold my S63 back in FEB because my Plaid was scheluded for March delivery as per account details... Tried many different cars including Taycan Turbo S, you are correct, NOTHING competes with this car, August here we come!

First time poster here. Found this site a few days ago and have been reading through all of this. I purchased a model Y for my GF about 2 months ago and decided to place an order for a Plaid Model S after I fell in love with the Tesla feel. I sold my AMG GTS 2 weeks ago because I thought that the delivery window in my account of 6-21 to 6-31 was legit. This morning my delivery just disappeared and its blank. I was never contacted by a service advisor. I have finished all the steps as well, just waiting on a delivery window.

Long story short I called them directly and got someone on the phone to look at my account. She told me that the soonest I would see my Black on Black(carbon) with 21" arachnids was September.....like getting hit in the gut....uggghh...

I ordered at the end of May, the configurator stated that I would see a June delivery. She stated that meant they would start delivering in June, didn't mean my car. I guess I better get familiar with Uber. I would cancel and buy something else, but let's be honest, what competes with this car!?
Congrats on the purchase and move to Tesla. Once you get past this part you'll love the car. Nothing compares.
If you want it sooner, drop the carbon. With 21's and black/black, you'd get a quick delivery. Otherwise, buckle in for the ride.
Worth it in the end either way, congrats again.

Here are some pics of details of the car. Just providing a different perspective from the usual pics of the cars posted here. :)

See how the wood grain shows all those imperfections? I first thought it's a ruined panel but those are present throughout the wood trim in the car and the delivery person and my SA shared photos of other cars, all with the same characteristics. I was told that people usually choose to put some form of finish on it after delivery since the trim comprised of actual wood. Still unsure about that. Will be interested to hear from other Black/Ebony decor folks on how their finishes are.

Attachments

• IMG_0255.jpg
    IMG_0255.jpg
    565.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    571.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    680.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 92

I know, I know.AMG-GTS is a environmentally unfriendly gas guzzling vehicle. The Plaid (even my Long range) is faster 0-60 than the MB. I recently sold my AMG-GTS and I must say I really do miss the sound and feel of that car. It was as rock solid doing 190 on the highway as it was doing 70 mph. Every time I hit the start button the sound of that engine warmed my heart. Oh and Mercedes service is great. Nice loaner cars or sitting areas if you wanted to wait (at least at my MB dealer in NJ)
This will be my first EV snd Tesla. I am very excited but I have many fond memories from some of my ICE sport cars. I am hoping that my new S will create wonderful memories also.
But unlike MB, Tesla is by far the worst company I have ever tried to buy a car from. Ordered Dec, promised mid February delivery. Then mid May. Then tried to call HQ and get the real scoop on my delivery. Guess what. There is no one there to respond to customer requests. The SA's at the local stores are given no real information, so they are forced to guess or lie about what is happening with you car. Then you look at your order on the account page. sometimes you will have an estimated delivery date while other times that info disappears. I recently had ED of 6/21-6/30. Then no ED. Last week I had ED of June until Thursday. Friday no ED, just blank until this morning with the account page showing ED of July.
You can not believe anything Tesla tells you regarding delivery or any of the conjecture on what is delaying your car. Anyone you might speak with from Tesla just don't know anything..

There have been so few real deliveries, that it is difficult to find any true pattern to how and why they decide to deliver a car to anywhere. I also sold my main car and installed Tesla's wall charger so I would be ready for my February delivery. Fortunately we have an extra car that I have been driving over the past 6 months.
I can only imagine how wonderful the Tesla service will be. You can only make an appointment through the Tesla App I believe.
But Tesla is the only real EV game in town.

The most reliable info you will find is on this forum. but even here, take everything with a grain of salt (this color or interior is not being made, or Florida will get priority over California, or the 19" wheels or lack of ordering Full Self Driving are holding up your order) and put you at the back of the line.
BTW: What area do you live?

Again, I am excited about my new S and am sure I will enjoy it. However there are a lot of ?????? for me.

Welcome to the Tesla family and the Tesla way. 😃

Last edited:
peaking of discrepancies, Tesla's website shows a curb weight of 4,766lbs while MotorTrend used corner weight scales and measured a curb weight of 4,816lbs, a difference of 50 pounds. More Hmmm.
MotorTrend probably weighed with the battery at full charge, Tesla maybe 20%. e=mc2, right?

If that makes a difference for ICE, shouldn’t it apply to BEV as well?