Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone who has taken delivery (or might otherwise know) say whether it appears that the Model S can be retrofitted with jump seats? Elon tweeted a few times that the Plaid would be the fastest 7-seater ever, but I haven't heard a word about it since. I'd love it if this were an option! I'm thinking debating whether I should wait for it cuz I'd hate to have it come out a few months after I take delivery.
Perhaps next year but honestly, does anyone really want a sports sedan with 7 seats (2 of which are made for the Tesla Monkey in terms of size)? 🐒😜. I would think the Model X would be a better 7-seat option in terms of 7 total usable seats.

Perhaps next year but honestly, does anyone really want a sports sedan with 7 seats (2 of which are made for the Tesla Monkey in terms of size)? 🐒😜. I would think the Model X would be a better 7-seat option in terms of 7 total usable seats.
Well, I prefer driving a sedan to an SUV (and I much prefer the look of the S to the X), and I know my young kids would LOVE the jump seats.

Read my previous post. Logistics right now is a nightmare. No rhyme or reason to it. Limited number of transports right now as well.

You’re not wrong. There is more to it than just “sitting with inventory” though.
I read the post. To clarify, I’m saying:

They are still building and producing model 3 and Y cars and shipping them out every day. They are also building refresh S, slowly. If they were focused on revenue for the quarter they would let those 3/Y stack up a bit and use the limited transport availability to ship out the backlog of S that are sitting around, because those cars are higher margin.

What logical reason would they not put an already built, higher margin S on a truck instead of a 3/Y, if they have to choose due to limited transport availability?

I was driving back from LA to the SF Bay Area today along I-5. I saw at least 12 Tesla Car Carriers heading towards LA and half of them had the new Tesla Model S on them! I saw both LR and Plaid. A lot of black and Midnight Silver. They were usually in the middle of the car carrier or the very last car on the bottom row (never a full load of Model S as there were 3 and Y's too). Hope these are customer cars and not demos. I ordered a LR late May so I probably won't get mine until Oct.
See any 19's on any of them?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I read the post. To clarify, I’m saying:

They are still building and producing model 3 and Y cars and shipping them out every day. They are also building refresh S, slowly. If they were focused on revenue for the quarter they would let those 3/Y stack up a bit and use the limited transport availability to ship out the backlog of S that are sitting around, because those cars are higher margin.

What logical reason would they not put an already built, higher margin S on a truck instead of a 3/Y, if they have to choose due to limited transport availability?

The entire picture:

1. Elon promised deliveries EoQ.

2. Refresh S is a higher profit margin car. See Elons comments on last earnings call.

3. Model 3 & Y are still shipping out, but were prioritized all these months due to lack of Model S & X. Now Model S is coming back and needs to be shipped out. They are figuring out logistics going forward and getting back into the swing of things.

4. Tesla is going into Q3 with (I would guess) less than 1,000 deliveries for Refresh S. If that number was 25 from the June delivery event. Investors would be asking a lot of questions like, “if the cars ready, why not ship? You said, and we see them stacked in the lot, whats the hold up?”. They need to have a solid number of cars delivered. 3 & Y are fine.

5. LR 19” wheels is the hold up. I was told it was purely logistics and they have them built. A lot going on EoQ. A lot we know and a lot we know and don’t understand.

Not trying to justify or dismiss your comments, which are all valid. Just passing on the info I have been told.

How can I tell on my account if I have Carbon Fiber interior trim or wood? I don't see it listed in my options or in the invoice. Any insight?

Also, what kind of controller are you guys pairing to it, or recommend?
It should be listed under "View Design Details"
Capture.JPG

However I plan to trade my P3D so I got Tesla, Carvana and CarMax quotes. Bizarrely Tesla offered the highest value by far. My three years with P3D end out costing me ~$8000 after considering the tax benefits on purchase. Now all I need is the Plaid. Unlike many I will never see anything like the capabilities, but I really like torque vectoring, superb handling etc. obviously I should be taking s LR, but I usually gravitate towards much more capabilities than I’ll ever use.
How much is Tesla offering you?

Plot thickens....I noticed that I went from late July, to blank, to June 28-30th and back to July 5th...all in the last 3 days. I received my VIN today and was just looking things over. I checked my details to see my build and my car was automatically switched from Carbon Fiber to this
  • All Black Premium Interior with Ebony Décor
Is this the wood? If so, no one ever contacted me to change this. I don't mind, it wasn't a deal breaker. Know this, I spoke to no one about this or gave any authorization of this. Is this normal for Tesla?

Plot thickens....I noticed that I went from late July, to blank, to June 28-30th and back to July 5th...all in the last 3 days. I received my VIN today and was just looking things over. I checked my details to see my build and my car was automatically switched from Carbon Fiber to this
Is this the wood? If so, no one ever contacted me to change this. I don't mind, it wasn't a deal breaker. Know this, I spoke to no one about this or gave any authorization of this. Is this normal for Tesla?
That is totally strange and in no way normal for Tesla (or honestly any car company haha). I’m got to guess someone fat-fingered a reservation number and changed your order instead of someone else’s they intended to.

Much the same though, I’d be equally happy with CF or Ebony wood.

Did you order when only CF was available? If you ordered when all trims were available then maybe it defaulted to the wood trim? Mine still shows CF and I was contacted last week to see if I wanted to switch to wood for a sooner delivery. I declined, but I’m told my S should be ready in July 🤞 No vin and I’ve been blank for about a week.

Did you order when only CF was available? If you ordered when all trims were available then maybe it defaulted to the wood trim? Mine still shows CF and I was contacted last week to see if I wanted to switch to wood for a sooner delivery. I declined, but I’m told my S should be ready in July 🤞 No vin and I’ve been blank for about a week.
I selected carbon fiber, I am not much of a wood guy. Either way, I am confident I will have it now pretty quick. I will see what tomorrow mornings date looks like. I don't mind the dark wood, I may grow to like it even more once I see it.

I selected carbon fiber, I am not much of a wood guy. Either way, I am confident I will have it now pretty quick. I will see what tomorrow mornings date looks like. I don't mind the dark wood, I may grow to like it even more once I see it.
You might never go back 🤣
(Sorry. Couldn’t resist)

Nothing wrong with the wood at all. It looks great IMO and better than the wood in the 3’s. Only reason I stuck with CF is I think it’ll match the sportiness of the red and 21’s. If you’re going for a more classy look wood is the choice 👌

Well, I prefer driving a sedan to an SUV (and I much prefer the look of the S to the X), and I know my young kids would LOVE the jump seats.

My kids love the jump seats and I agree. I have an X on order because I've been told no jump seats and it might not ever come for the S. Just another Elon 3 months maybe, 6 months definitely kind of thing.....

I think a new owner might need to lift some trunk carpet just to be sure there is no retrofit potential.