Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen quite a few posts about plaid vs LR from a cost / value perspective. Many seem to focus on the 50k difference and argue that it’s not worth it. I’m not up to speed on resale value of say LR vs Performance but I would imagine the resale value of the Plaid will hold its value the same as the LR. If so then the 50k difference is not going to cost you 50k more to have owned once you resale the car. What do you think? 3 years from now how much of that 50k will be lost. I pick my plaid up tomorrow and wanted it regardless but have rationalized that I’m not throwing away 50k more.
Yes, as @croman said - history tells us that Performance cars suffer from significantly greater depreciation. I bought my 17 month old Ludicrous P90D with 14,000 miles on it for $60,000 off of sticker. Then, the price proceeded to drop like a brick, because Tesla started significantly discounting performance cars, and offered Ludicrous for free. The most expensive trims always depreciate the fastest. You just need to accept this reality and know it is the cost of owning the latest and greatest.

I fully expect the extra $10k that Tesla just raised the Plaid by to soon disappear once initial demand dies off. Tesla has a history of making dramatic price shifts on its newest and greatest technology, and the frequency of its price shifts seem unprecedented in the automotive industry. Most automotive companies wait for the next model year to change pricing, but with Tesla it happens consistently throughout the year.

Last edited:
I’ve seen quite a few posts about plaid vs LR from a cost / value perspective. Many seem to focus on the 50k difference and argue that it’s not worth it. I’m not up to speed on resale value of say LR vs Performance but I would imagine the resale value of the Plaid will hold its value the same as the LR. If so then the 50k difference is not going to cost you 50k more to have owned once you resale the car. What do you think? 3 years from now how much of that 50k will be lost. I pick my plaid up tomorrow and wanted it regardless but have rationalized that I’m not throwing away 50k more.

It is not that I am saying it is not worth it - contrarily, the performance is outstanding for that increase in money. But for me, personally, the value is not there. The 0-60 or 1/4 mile performance is 3rd or 4th on my priority list. For me, the worth is not there. Obviously for some on here it is their 1st and 2nd priorities so it absolutely has value/worth. They are not throwing away $50k.

300 miles range with 1000lbs of load onboard.
Still.

What happens when you have a decent size boat with gear and 2-3 other people and your destination is 100-120 miles away? EA has no charging locations practically anywhere outside California. Going to be a tough situation.

300 miles is nowhere near enough for an EV truck unless you just plan on driving around town hauling some *sugar* here and there.

This thread is difficulty to keep up with :) Ive got a RN1139xxxx reservation (MSM / White / CF / 19")for Plaid+ that got autoconverted to Plaid in mid June. Has shown a July delivery date from the time it got autoconverted. What should i expect in terms of VIN and Delivery ?
Set low expectations and be prepared for disappointment. About the only advice I can give you considering there’s people who ordered last year and are still waiting and there are people who ordered this month and already got their cars.

Yes, as @croman said - history tells us that Performance cars suffer from significantly greater depreciation. I bought my Ludicrous P90D with 14,000 miles on it and 17 months old for $60,000 off of sticker. Then, the price proceeded to drop like a brick because Tesla started significantly discounting performance cars and offered Ludicrous for free. The most expensive trims always depreciate the fastest. You just need to accept this reality and know it is the cost of owning the latest and greatest.

I fully expect the extra $10k that Tesla just raised the Plaid by to soon disappear once initial demand dies off. Tesla has a history of making dramatic price shifts on its newest and greatest technology, and the frequency of its price shifts seem unprecedented in the automotive industry. Most automotive companies wait for the next model year to change pricing, but with Tesla it happens consistently throughout the year.

I was thinking the opposite. I was thinking they are going to raise the price another 10k because the demand is so high. Seeing these performance numbers makes me think the car is priced too low. Time will tell....

Still.

What happens when you have a decent size boat with gear and 2-3 other people and your destination is 100-120 miles away? EA has no charging locations practically anywhere outside California. Going to be a tough situation.

300 miles is nowhere near enough for an EV truck unless you just plan on driving around town hauling some *sugar* here and there.
To put things into perspective, my buddy averages ~10mpg while towing in his F150 with I believe a 25 gallon tank. So that’ll get him ~250 miles for $75

Compressed audio as compared to a true digital source along side much
Ore capable speakers will provide an incredibly different listening experience in a Tesla. There are plenty of them out there with amazing systems in them. Pull one speaker out and look at the cone material and you will see what I mean. This is nothing against Tesla, it’s every OEM system.
Don't disagree with you in principle--spent years and 10s of thousands of dollars gutting and replacing OEM systems. But, its not dogma--there are some very OEM good systems our there where they have taken the time to tune the system to the environment. None of this will help if you sole source of music is something compressed to within an inch of its life.

The Tesla system is very good--don't have good material to do any true critical listening, but I am betting it will sound great. I do think the nature of the system will make it hard to replace, because of number of channels, size, number, and location of speakers, and the integration of with the noise cancelling.

300 miles range with 1000lbs of load onboard.
I read an article where they were claiming you would only get 300 miles with the top of the line model, priced at 80K. Even the Lariat priced around 60K would only get you 230 miles. A Cybertruck with tri-motor that get 500 miles and beats the Ford in every metric with full FSD would still be cheaper.

I worry that Toyota will beat Tesla when it comes to economy EVs and that Intel/Mobileye will beat Tesla on the FSD front, over time. So…that leaves the super charging network? That took ten years to build, do you think others won’t be able to catch up in less time when they have existing solutions to emulate?
I think Toyota seems fairly stuck in the past--I think the Koreans are the threat here. On the FSD front, until some else gets more/better training data than Tesla, I think their lead is safe.

I think once Elon passes the reigns to a cookie cutter CEO, most likely when he dies, then we will see Tesla lose their innovation advantage. He's a risk taker. The next one will most likely just try to maximize shareholder profits by playing it safe.
I would not be unhappy to see a Steve Jobs > Tim Cook type of transition -- some who keeps the innovation ball rolling but focused on operational excellence.

I think this exactly. Starting from a red light where you don't have time to warm up the batteries and put the Plaid in cheetah mode, I think the difference will be less than half a second to 60.
I don't think so--I think the difference will remain ~1 sec. I have gotten 2.4.sec 0-60 just stomping the pedal, so, if you imagine the LR is 3.3s real world, then still about a second.

It is not that I am saying it is not worth it - contrarily, the performance is outstanding for that increase in money. But for me, personally, the value is not there. The 0-60 or 1/4 mile performance is 3rd or 4th on my priority list. For me, the worth is not there. Obviously for some on here it is their 1st and 2nd priorities so it absolutely has value/worth. They are not throwing away $50k.
would you mind telling me the VIN Number only need the 4th - 6th digit from the back please.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I was thinking the opposite. I was thinking they are going to raise the price another 10k because the demand is so high. Seeing these performance numbers makes me think the car is priced too low. Time will tell....
Logic and history dictates otherwise. The facts show us demand is not that high, with several June orders getting delivered the same month they were placed. As you say, time will tell, but I certainly wouldn’t go into the purchase assuming your car will hold its value better. You need to be prepared for rapid and significant depreciation and be okay with that. It is the price you must be willing to pay for the fastest production car available. I fully accepted this reality when I was planning on a Plaid purchase.

DELIVERY!! I took delivery of my Plaid yesterday afternoon in Nashville and heading back to Mississppi with it today.. As a first time Tesla owner, I will say that this car most definitely does not disappoint. Here are my first thoughts:

Fit, finish, and material are really, really good. This looks and feels like a high dollar luxury vehicle should, compared to the upper-end mostly German made vehicles I’ve owned. And it most definitely looks better in person than the renderings do, and actually looks better than most pictures I’ve seen, especially the interior.

I am one of the ones that was able to swap to the ebony wood interior trim (from carbon fiber) with the all black interior. And I’m 100% happy with the wood. looks really good IMO. Looks darker in person than in a lot of the pictures and compliments the all black interior very well.

Screens are beautiful and extremely responsive. The GUI seems super easy to navigate for me.

Yoke steering with buttons and no stalk controls seemed very intuitive to me. Felt comfortable and predictable on day one. I’m sure it’ll only get better. But the “cool factor” is well worth what may be a slight learning curve.

The instant power on this beast is indescribably insane and fun. It can literally just slam you hard back in to the seat at the brush of the accelerator, both from a stop and while rolling at interstate speeds. But at the same time it’s amazingly easy to control and very predictable.

Ride quality is exactly what I was looking for. Very smooth, yet definitely high performance. Pretty cool that they were able to get such a good blend of comfort and handling IMO.

Ambient light includes door pocket lighting and foot well lighting front and rear. I think I remember someone earlier mentioning that it was just the door pockets.

A few little glitches here and there: scratch on the back glass (already scheduled for replacement), driver’s exterior handle sticking in the out position sometimes, a little sag in the clear coat on the front edges of the front fenders (it should wet-sand out when I have the paint corrected and coated), software updates that needed to be installed immediately etc. But nothing I’m disappointed in at all as an early adopter delivery. And Tesla seems 100% ready to repair or replace anything.

All in all, I am very pleased with this purchase and looking forward to many miles of smiles with it. Well worth any wait, even though it only ended up being a couple of months for me. Refresh S’s are definitely being produced and delivered. If you haven’t got yours yet, please just hang in there. You will NOT be disappointed.. You can thank me later if this helped keep you onboard with your order. Lol

Last edited:
OK, here are the door/puddle light pictures I promised

IMG_1045.jpg
IMG_1046.jpg

Don't disagree with you in principle--spent years and 10s of thousands of dollars gutting and replacing OEM systems. But, its not dogma--there are some very OEM good systems our there where they have taken the time to tune the system to the environment. None of this will help if you sole source of music is something compressed to within an inch of its life.

The Tesla system is very good--don't have good material to do any true critical listening, but I am betting it will sound great. I do think the nature of the system will make it hard to replace, because of number of channels, size, number, and location of speakers, and the integration of with the noise cancelling.
The one thing I am curious about is what the stock subwoofer and enclosure looks like, given some folks have already commented it is a little weak. When I get my car, I just might do an aftermarket swap similar to what some of us have done on our existing cars.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid