Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
300 miles range with 1000lbs of load onboard.
People keep mentioning that 1000lbs of load. If it is that significant of a factor for range, which is measured for maintaining a certain speed, then Tesla should have range specs for a full car. I could say "yeah, a Model X has 340 miles of range, but that is with no passengers." I don't think that load makes a significant difference in the range ratings.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I would not be unhappy to see a Steve Jobs > Tim Cook type of transition -- some who keeps the innovation ball rolling but focused on operational excellence.
He didn't really keep it rolling. Before Steve Jobs passed, every time a change was made to my product it was a clearly better choice/option/build. After his passing, I've noticed changes that don't make things better, just different. Like moving the power button from the top to the side. Now every time I have to hit the power button for a call/alarm/screen, I have to squeeze it with the adjacent volume button, which takes a screen shot. I spend a good part of my time just deleting photos of my home screen and alarm clock. That is one example, but there are plenty, like moving the headphone jack from the top to the bottom, and then removing the jack completely. No, once the visionary behind a company leaves, you realize how much of what they offered was because of said person.

Re: subwoofer and sound system..

I fully expect the sound to be nearly as good as my M3, but I’ll be shocked if it is better. Having an enclosed trunk really enhances the lows on that car, and is unique among Tesla vehicles in that respect. My X has good sound, but the 3 is considerably better, IMO. That said, I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
I expect the new S to be superior, for these reasons:

1. Much quieter interior. This is even before noise cancellation. Much higher signal-to-noise ratio, especially with the higher output power.

2. Higher power. 960W is more tham most home audio systems with a lot greater volume of air to push. This also allows use of drivers that are less efficient, but with flatter frequency responses.

Whether the trunk is totally enclosed matters little, since you are not listening with the rear seats folded down.

Musk also mentioned Tesla Acoustic Glass. It could be that reflections from the glass roof are better controlled, or modeled in their DSP.

People keep mentioning that 1000lbs of load. If it is that significant of a factor for range, which is measured for maintaining a certain speed, then Tesla should have range specs for a full car. I could say "yeah, a Model X has 340 miles of range, but that is with no passengers." I don't think that load makes a significant difference in the range ratings.
Agree, and as with many things, I can back this with data. Ask how I know.
(Aero matters a LOT more than weight)

Attachments

• 9C043FAF-58AE-4297-984D-3DD79A833F2B.jpeg
    9C043FAF-58AE-4297-984D-3DD79A833F2B.jpeg
    526.5 KB · Views: 70
  • CF194313-4DFA-4BE0-8CEE-BF18967BD600.jpeg
    CF194313-4DFA-4BE0-8CEE-BF18967BD600.jpeg
    481.4 KB · Views: 52
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

I just got this text about the Model S and I figured I could share it here, in case anyone was unaware.

View attachment 678806
By what mechanism are you (and others) getting texts from Tesla at all? I never get texts from Tesla.

On that same note, is it a normal thing to have the personal phone numbers of Tesla SAs for texting? I see lots of people posting text exchanges with SAs. I have a local gallery that I've been to, but it seems odd for me to insist that an SA there give me their cell phone number so I can text them.

Agree, and as with many things, I can back this with data. Ask how I know.
(Aero matters a LOT more than weight)

Aero matters a lot more than weight on a Tesla.

Ever notice how Teslas get crushed EPA range vs. actual when doing long highway jogs? And how when doing long highway jogs, others meet or beat their rated range? Tesla drivetrains are SO efficient that their aero load is by far the biggest killer. Other less efficient EVs aren't as hit as much, as an overall percentage, by areo.

This is why an ICE, with a super inefficient powertrain, sees MORE economy on the highway than around town. The increase in the engine's efficiency way more than makes up for the aero load. Which is an even greater overall aero load than a Tesla, which is far more wind efficient.

Read that again and think about it.

By what mechanism are you (and others) getting texts from Tesla at all? I never get texts from Tesla.

On that same note, is it a normal thing to have the personal phone numbers of Tesla SAs for texting? I see lots of people posting text exchanges with SAs. I have a local gallery that I've been to, but it seems odd for me to insist that an SA there give me their cell phone number so I can text them.
I’d imagine they get work phones..

You hit the nail on the head, and the technological innovation will continue unabated. Three years from now when Plaids have 4680 structural batteries and 520 miles of range, nobody will want a 2021 Plaid. There will be plenty of bargain basement 2021 Plaids on the used car market.

There is never a good time to buy, because Tesla has turned the automotive market upside down with rapid innovation that has destroyed the incremental improvement ethos. If you are buying a car this expensive, you just need to accept that high end cars are rapidly depreciating assets. Especially ones with rapid technological innovation. Enjoy your car, but don’t expect it to hold its value.
Do you really believe that improvements going forward will be at such a rate as we’ve seen over the last 5 years? How much quicker can you get than 1.99 seconds, how much more range do you really need? Yes, they will get better and better but I think he has to become more incremental as opposed to earth shattering. If I’m wrong that would be amazing because who doesn’t love insane technological improvements. ? My point is, I think the depreciation curve may actually slow a bit on these cars.

Do you really believe that improvements going forward will be at such a rate as we’ve seen over the last 5 years? How much quicker can you get than 1.99 seconds, how much more range do you really need? Yes, they will get better and better but I think he has to become more incremental as opposed to earth shattering. If I’m wrong that would be amazing because who doesn’t love insane technological improvements. ? My point is, I think the depreciation curve may actually slow a bit on these cars.
In 1997, my supervisor finally bought his first high end PC, because as he put it "PC's cannot get much faster than they are right now".

I also remember when I was 16 years old, and told my stepdad about my girlfriend's dad's new Buick Grand National, and how it was doing 12.4 in the 1/4 mile. With his 1970's knowledge, he explained how it was not possible for a V6 to do a 12.4. Was real funny when he met my girlfriend's dad.

I have feeling you’re going to be disappointed. In 3 years, Plaid is going to be much better than 2021 edition and will cost thousands less. That’s how Tesla pricing works. All you need to do is go back one year to MY launch, demand was super high (still is) and Tesla dropped the price by $3K within 3 months
Agree with you 101%
Tesla will be adding 4680 cells and reducing the price of Plaid but with specs and range of Plaid+ so the new 2021 owners will get shafted as most new car owners are under normal circumstances 😂

I have feeling you’re going to be disappointed. In 3 years, Plaid is going to be much better than 2021 edition and will cost thousands less. That’s how Tesla pricing works. All you need to do is go back one year to MY launch, demand was super high (still is) and Tesla dropped the price by $3K within 3 months
With the crazy specs, plaid might hold its value better than other examples.
Tesla probably won’t need to drop the price of their 9 sec crazy sedan. Just my feeling.

I expect the new S to be superior, for these reasons:

1. Much quieter interior. This is even before noise cancellation. Much higher signal-to-noise ratio, especially with the higher output power.

2. Higher power. 960W is more tham most home audio systems with a lot greater volume of air to push. This also allows use of drivers that are less efficient, but with flatter frequency responses.

Whether the trunk is totally enclosed matters little, since you are not listening with the rear seats folded down.

Musk also mentioned Tesla Acoustic Glass. It could be that reflections from the glass roof are better controlled, or modeled in their DSP.
I hope so. Tesla needs to make S a better car that offers more than the 3/Y. The way I see it Tesla really ****ed the model S owners for the last few years by offering then subpar material compared to their low end smaller sedan. It was a foolish thing to do. I hope they make S/X superior cars and more importantly they need to have features exclusive to S/X instead of trickling them down to 3/Y owners. This kind of stupidity from Tesla needs to stop.

Aero matters a lot more than weight on a Tesla.

Ever notice how Teslas get crushed EPA range vs. actual when doing long highway jogs? And how when doing long highway jogs, others meet or beat their rated range? Tesla drivetrains are SO efficient that their aero load is by far the biggest killer. Other less efficient EVs aren't as hit as much, as an overall percentage, by areo.

This is why an ICE, with a super inefficient powertrain, sees MORE economy on the highway than around town. The increase in the engine's efficiency way more than makes up for the aero load. Which is an even greater overall aero load than a Tesla, which is far more wind efficient.

Read that again and think about it.
When my R1T is ready (if ever), I'll let you know whether aero has a greater impact than weight.

Spoiler: it will.