Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very intriguing update from @gabeincal. The good news with this is that Tesla is in fact noting the differences in the cars that have been sitting, and the ones that were just built:
It also explains why they don't want to ship these cars just yet, especially with something to do with the brakeline, and the reason that Tesla people from Fremont had to fly in to inspect that one dude's Plaid. They most certainly wanted to make sure these parts were installed, and safe:

Last edited:
Tesla still delivering cars in June 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210708-233347_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210708-233347_Samsung Internet.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 63
Very intriguing update from @gabeincal. The good news with this is that Tesla is in fact noting the differences in the cars that have been sitting, and the ones that were just built:
It also explains why they don't want to ship these cars just yet, especially with something to do with the brakeline, and the reason that Tesla people from Fremont had to fly in to inspect that one dude's Plaid. They most certainly wanted to make sure these parts were installed, and safe:
Yikes. That means that these still could make it into the hands of customers. Still hopeful that they end up as a marketing fleet. But those end up getting sold at EoQ. So who knows 🤷🏽‍♂️

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Yikes. That means that these still could make it into the hands of customers.
I have no doubts that once these fixes are made to these existing cars, they will be just fine. Clearly, they've already implemented this on the production line, as cars are getting produced and delivered much faster than they were with the first deliveries.

I don't really understand all of the angst associated with the front license plate bracket. It comes off really easily and leaves no damage or holes behind. It seems like a nonissue. I think we are lucky that we don't need to order bumper plugs to cover some unsightly holes. Several members have removed it themselves in a matter of minutes. My detail shop removed it without issue. They said it took less than 5 minutes to remove it and they didn't even charge me for the removal.
I have major angst.
* I'm not mechanical (I have to chant "righty tighty, lefty loosie" when using a screwdriver)
* I have no idea how hard to pull and I'm a major weakling
* I don't have a detailer. Never bothered with my Lexus
* I don't have a hairdryer.
* I don't have one of those penta-thingiemajigger-remover tools

I live in the "IE" where it's >90F dry and hot, so if I get the nerve, I'll bake the car outside on Saturday and give it a go. Maybe. Still chicken. And angsty.

On the Model 3/Y the front plates are installed at the delivery center in states that require it. It is really easy to get a 3/Y without the front plate. On the Model S, the front plate bracket is installed at the Fremont factory.
Not necessarily (wrt the 3). Took delivery in MD and they didn't attach mine, just threw it in the trunk and told me to call mobile service if I wanted it installed. And yes, MD does require it.

I do prefer the option but it really doesn't matter for me - I've tried for years to get away with no front plate on various cars but always end up with tickets. A fact of life when you work on a military installation.

I know this has been addressed before - but I can't seem to find an easy answer in the 2440 pages here...
How do you remove the front license plate holder? (Gonna take my chances in Cali and try the dashboard trick like @omarsultan does when I'm in the city)

My local Tesla will not remove it (I asked today) and I spent way too much time searching through the TMC forums and YouTube for a good instructional video. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a simplified step-by-step for the refresh. I saw some doodad suggested by @rpan25, but Amazon is sold out of that. And I wouldn't even really know what to do with it anyway.

Can someone help a sister out? KISS -- "keep it simple, sillybear" -- with easy to follow step-by-step? Photos or video links would be absolutely marvelous. THANKS in advance!
The VHB adhesive tape isn’t very temperature sensitive so you would have to get it pretty hot to get it to release.

Here’s a no heat method that worked for me. Take the outer cover off by removing the 3 bolts. Pliers will work if you don’t have the right socket. Then use some dental floss to saw the foam tape on one side of the plate. Work the plate back and forth and cut more tape with dental floss until the plate comes off. Once off, grab the end of any adhesive tape remaining on the car and pull it along the bumper to stretch it out. The tape releases without residue as it stretches.

Last edited:
Do we actually have any evidence this isn't just a test mule like all the ones before? Pardon my skepticism but I have to imagine when these things are finally delivered with 19s to customers, it's not going to be in a trickle, it's going to be in a flood.
I’m just happy to see the gray 19s on an actual car. Even if it’s a test mule, it’s the first pic we’ve seen so I’ll take it.