Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need some advice…
New S came and I absolutely love it. MSM paint has a couple of blemishes under clear coat, though. They have to repaint my hood & rear passenger door + surrounding panels for blending. I obviously don’t want inexcusable spots on my new 90k vehicle but I am incredibly nervous to repaint some of my new 90k vehicle lol. Scared it will never look the same again :(
What would you do?
I had major paint damage to the trunk lid on my red P85D back in 2015. It rubbed against the back of the shipping truck all the way down to the metal. They offered to repaint it, but I required them to get a brand new pre-painted trunk lid directly from Fremont, painted in the same facility where my car was painted. They obliged and that ensured the newly painted trunk exactly matched the rest of the car.

I bought the one on Etsy. Post in thread 'Model S Delivery Update'
Wiki - Model S Delivery Update

Here’s another option from Billet Badge:
Post in thread 'Model S Delivery Update'
Wiki - Model S Delivery Update

Update on the Billet Badges one:
Talked with them today regarding the design and they’re actively working on creating their own 3D model of it from pictures…apparently the one on thingiverse was terrible and couldn’t even create a good plastic print.

Once they are done with that, it will go into creating the first production one and they’ll provide a link for TMC members to order one directly with custom color choices too (original is red/grey).

Lastly, while the original is 4”x1” plastic, the metal one will be 6.25”x1.5” to allow for machining, painting, and to be slightly different than the founders’ badges so they don’t get in trouble.

So I saw this question a few pages back: re taking off front license plate.

I became brave enough to do this today. First I rec removing the bracket. The screws aren’t Torx; just use a needle nose plier to loosen them and then you can take them off by hand. I tried leaving it on but I tore the bracket with my brute force.
5F094534-D263-40B7-A4B5-AD43F458A244.jpeg

CAC668F8-7FC5-4EBC-AE0E-A1BF2B07EE0A.jpeg
then take a blow dryer and start heating behind the black bracket.

5B96E6F6-AC19-4539-BA87-586859A84435.jpeg
Put a vice grip on the black bracket and then I originally tried dental floss to run from one side to the other. You can see in the photos that ultimately I used weed wacker plastic wire which was perfect. I recommend a friend pulling on the vice while you (wearing gloves preferably slide the plastic wire from side to the other). A residue will be left on your bumper. I used goo be gone and it came off easily. So don’t be afraid you can do it and it is so much better!
1340B736-8D62-46D5-9015-1696E1A24F2C.jpeg

C9A25566-D6E4-4F95-AA46-AE91EF4041B5.jpeg

I became brave enough to do this today. First I rec removing the bracket. The screws aren’t Torx; just use a needle nose plier to loosen them and then you can take them off by hand. I tried leaving it on but I tore the bracket with my brute force.
View attachment 683089

View attachment 683090then take a blow dryer and start heating behind the black bracket.

View attachment 683091Put a vice grip on the black bracket and then I originally tried dental floss to run from one side to the other. You can see in the photos that ultimately I used weed wacker plastic wire which was perfect. I recommend a friend pulling on the vice while you (wearing gloves preferably slide the plastic wire from side to the other). A residue will be left on your bumper. I used goo be gone and it came off easily. So don’t be afraid you can do it and it is so much better!
View attachment 683092
View attachment 683093
Looks gorgeous! Love the red! 😍

Reactions: Ormond and dgs174
My biggest concern as a first time Tesla buyer is after reading all the post about misaligned body panels, interior panels and trim, plus terrible paint that needs a paint "correction". Is that I'll take the car to show my 80 year old dad and his only comment after looking at the car is....you paid HOW MUCH for this!:rolleyes:
Tell him it will be fixed via a software update. In two weeks.

I had major paint damage to the trunk lid on my red P85D back in 2015. It rubbed against the back of the shipping truck all the way down to the metal. They offered to repaint it, but I required them to get a brand new pre-painted trunk lid directly from Fremont, painted in the same facility where my car was painted. They obliged and that ensured the newly painted trunk exactly matched the rest of the car.
2015 sure was a great year to be an owner. I bet that same request doesn’t pan out in 2021.

View attachment 683089

View attachment 683090then take a blow dryer and start heating behind the black bracket.

View attachment 683091Put a vice grip on the black bracket and then I originally tried dental floss to run from one side to the other. You can see in the photos that ultimately I used weed wacker plastic wire which was perfect. I recommend a friend pulling on the vice while you (wearing gloves preferably slide the plastic wire from side to the other). A residue will be left on your bumper. I used goo be gone and it came off easily. So don’t be afraid you can do it and it is so much better!
View attachment 683092
View attachment 683093
Hulk

My biggest concern as a first time Tesla buyer is after reading all the post about misaligned body panels, interior panels and trim, plus terrible paint that needs a paint "correction". Is that I'll take the car to show my 80 year old dad and his only comment after looking at the car is....you paid HOW MUCH for this!:rolleyes:
I'll bet that you will be happy with it. Most don't have much in the way of problems, particularly if you don't search for them. The casual viewer of the car will think it looks pretty d*** nice!

Looks like

Looks like most of us Cali folks with an early order have similar windows. Is this the common denominator right now? :)
Same locale, same delivery dates... My husband drove past the MdR location today (it's 5 minutes from us) and saw a LR MSM/Black 21" in the lot... we're pretending its ours! ;-)

I'll bet that you will be happy with it. Most don't have much in the way of problems, particularly if you don't search for them. The casual viewer of the car will think it looks pretty d*** nice!
Yes, I see some things that people point out on here....make me wonder.😳 I'm not OCD! I just like nice, well built things. I can fix most anything mechanical. Just makes me wonder if the exterior is not up to par, how much did they care about assembling the internal components.

Oh my god. Literally posting @elguapo is like summoning Betelgeuse.

"Betelgeuse", "Betelgeuse", "Betelgeuse"

I'd like to summon @GrnSqrl instead. Where you at?
Hey, my man @Tigers Thanks for the summons. I’ve been struggling to keep up with this thread. I retired in March, and when I take a day to play golf or take a couple vacation days, it takes me all day to catch up. Back in April, there were just a few of us commiserating about delivery dates—. @Hayseed_MS , @elguapo , @doubleshot , @Danlbrau - the volume of posts was manageable. Lol.

Not much to add-still blank-but still here!

In all seriousness, if you’d need a Houston shop let me know. In Bellaire.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Hey, my man @Tigers Thanks for the summons. I’ve been struggling to keep up with this thread. I retired in March, and when I take a day to play golf or take a couple vacation days, it takes me all day to catch up. Back in April, there were just a few of us commiserating about delivery dates—. @Hayseed_MS , @elguapo , @doubleshot , @Danlbrau - the volume of posts was manageable. Lol.

Not much to add-still blank-but still here!

I hear that! I've actually tried to do some work over the past couple of weeks and all of a sudden all these rookies showed up and I just gave up and skipped 100 pages lol.

Stay💪!