Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thin side wall is most certainly a consideration for ride quality but dampers can be used to absorb energy not buffered by the side walls. For me, the biggest difference in a change in wheels was dropping 10 lbs per corner in wheel weight. Sprung to unsprung weight ratios on suspensions has everything to do with wheel response time and the tire's ability to stay attached to the road. It also dramatically affects ride quality.

Unlike others who concentrate on wraps and such, my very first work will be on quantifying rim weight for the stock 21s versus affordable (TSW) and stupid expensive (forged/machined) 20" rims. If the current 21s are similar to previous Tesla rims there is likely a very nice ride and performance (less mass to spin accelerating or braking) benefit to be had changing rims.
Why not offer an option of no wheels at all? You select what you really want, have it shipped to Tesla and they mount it. Of course it would be PIA for Tesla (charge for it) and a nightmare for figuring which wheels/ties would work but it could be an option for those interested. Think about all those wheels/tires that sit unused. I swapped wheels/tires on my Z, kept old set (just in case) and ended up giving them away after a couple of years. After they took up all that space in Garage.

I’m convinced the “going blank” part of the ordering experience is a social experiment to see how humans react when estimates don’t just change… - they completely disappear.
Well, if you're correct, then this board is being tightly monitored and analyzed by Tesla headquarters.
Elon, ship the damn 19s!!!!!!!!

Absolutely aftermarket is a good option. But many of us just want that off-the-lot, stock feel, with the best tires around. Count me in. I wouldn't expect too different of a 1/4 mile time with 10lbs off per wheel, but look forward to people trying! They said the same thing with the Model 3 Performance and the 20s vs 18s, and the 20s are pulling pretty much identical times.

It does make a difference and there are videos on line of the M3P doing faster 0-60’s and 1/4 miles with lighter wheels. I personally wouldn’t spend $4500 for 35lb cast wheels. If I’m going that fast I’d prefer some MPSC2’s and forged wheels for the summer and 19’s for the winter. I’l like the reassurance of knowing my wheel won’t crack if I hit a bump at those speeds.

Update: Hell has frozen over and I have a VIN. Odd I received no email but just saw it when I checked my account this morning. Is this normal? I excited but don’t trust it obviously. View attachment 684420
Congrats, man! That's why I keep checking the Account page. But at this point, I am still waiting for the messages that MSLR with 19'' are starting to rolling out. I was tempted to upgrade to 21'' but here in northern NJ the streets are so bad, it just doesn't make sense.

It does make a difference and there are videos on line of the M3P doing faster 0-60’s and 1/4 miles with lighter wheels. I personally wouldn’t spend $4500 for 35lb cast wheels. If I’m going that fast I’d prefer some MPSC2’s and forged wheels for the summer and 19’s for the winter. I’l like the reassurance of knowing my wheel won’t crack if I hit a bump at those speeds.

Your wheels are unlikely to crack - it takes quite something to do that. I hear you about the potholes, though. I live in Seattle where the roads are appalling.

Your wheels are unlikely to crack - it takes quite something to do that. I hear you about the potholes, though. I live in Seattle where the roads are appalling.
I would agree, except I had a Honda Accord rim crack. No curb, no accident. Understand that every situation is different and no one experience is the same. Especially since other cars likely hit the same spot I did and their rims did not crack. The old Swiss cheese model - do all of the holes line up to have that "perfect storm".

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
This is the "ZeroG" wheel option rumored to arrive in the fall. Expecting over $7k though, so I'll likely go aftermarket.

I'm hoping Martian wheels comes out with a staggered set of 20" wheels. They seem very reasonably priced, lightweight and forged. I love the Signature wheels, but I don't want to spend that much on my daily.

Spoke to fremont yesterday! Millennial answering the phone told me not to change anything on my RN order else "unknown things would happen". I was scared enuff to politely apologize for disturbing said millennial and wished them a happy July.
Woah woah woah! What's wrong with Millennials? As a Millennial who ordered the Long Range back in December of 2020 and knows how to properly spell "enough" I must say, I fear for the "unknown things" that could happen more than most! Happy July to you mysterious person of unknown generation :)