Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same, although, I dont want to order a Y now and in Q1 have them popping out with structural battery packs and 4680s. With Tesla, that could happen or that could happen *maybe* in 2023.
much like computers, cars and other tech, do you jump in "now" or "wait" - and later usually has lower prices (in pure tech) AND better performance. (cars seemingly go up 2% a year - but with the chip shortage, design changes, etc. all bets are off).
Do I spend $1k on a notebook computer today, get the same one new next year for $800, or spend $950 in a year for a better computer than I could get today.
BTW, I fully predict when the 4680s are out in earnest, they'll go to the Cybertruck, Roadster, MAYBE future Plaid + (back from the dead) and of course the Semi. Though I'm not sure if Tesla said they'll produce the other models only with their own 4680 cells, or only with 4680 cells.

funny, had the wife test a Y - tempted to order one, and use until my S comes in.
In the same boat, but we ordered the MYP in June. My wife just told me she’s happy with her 3 and doesn’t want to change…so I’m trying to decide if I want to get the MYP soon or hold out until Q2 2022 to get the MSLR. I don’t want to get both at this point.

Another struggle is that I’m driving a Corolla and hate it. I temporarily liquidated car equity to make a real estate purchase, thinking I wouldn’t have to deal with this thing for too long lol. Not really sure what I’m doing now. I feel like my outlook would be much different if I were in “car peace”.

Are you concerned about the loss from temporarily having the Y?

In my experience with Tesla - don’t wait for anything, just live in the moment.
biggest downside of long term ownership with these cars is that they age like cell phones - 2,3,4+yrs go by and you can’t use the same features as the new model without impacting performance to a degree that I’m not interested in. So the loss of trade-ups is expected and factored into the price of the car. If you spend your time trying to time this, you’ll waste your time not enjoying the car in the present. So either a) be ok with the cost of switches or b) know that what you’re buying is a great product and be ok with the fact that in a year or two or who knows, they will release something improved, and you’ll be in a position to decide if you want to upgrade or just keep the current car. But you just go into it knowing that within a matter of months, your car will be outdated. Is what it is.

is there a way to get something like this to the media, or have them try to snoop and probe?
as a consumer, I would say the estimated delivery dates are ESTIMATES and not promises nor guarantees - unless the company knew they could never meet those estimates - however when you order and it says estimated delivery, September to October - I think you have no recourse until October comes to a close - then if there's no end in site, I'd say you should be entitled to cancel the order and get your $100 back. In my case also a car charger.
However, the no communication part bites, and we're in the dark.
I'm not one who ordered in February and expected the car in March - those who did, and got rid of their cars in reliance, well, I'd be livid.
If I was a shareholder, I could bring a shareholder derivative suit against Musk - and that would force revealing why there were delays, etc.
Or, claim damages regarding lack of communication, misstatements, etc.
Tesla just posted over $1B in profits, so they're doing something right, but the WAY they're conducting business just seems foul.
One of the contacts at Tesla LA told me delivering white interiors in August was, "always the plan" and that he has literally no information on the 19s. At this point, no one really knows if they are even producing them which is frustrating to say the least

Here's the first draft. Have someone with a following who is willing to post on their Twitter. If interested in signing let me know.

Thanks to all the people who offered and sent messages of support.
I hope you don’t mind, but I edited it a bit. Thoughts?

To whom this may concern,

This letter is a request for communication organized by members of the Tesla Motors Club forum that have ordered refreshed Model S cars from as far back as battery day in September 2020.

Our source for information has become each other and the occasional tweet (Plaid+ cancellation) and investor calls. How should we evangelize Tesla to friends and family in the future? Should we change from “the best buying experience and cars” to “don’t hold your breath or expect any communication.”

If the plan was to have SAs in local dealerships fill the gap, that strategy has failed—and not because of the local personnel. They have as much communication (or less) than what we know individually or crowdsource amongst ourselves.

Moving forward, we want answers to the following, and updates if the situation changes:

1. Which orders are and are not affected by the supply constraints?
  2. How can customers who have waited more than three months modify their orders to optimize against supply constraints? This should be without incurring new price sheets.

We understand that production has became extremely difficult given supply chain issues. However, just as Tesla adapted with new chips and firmware, we too would like to be able to know the issues and respond accordingly.

We are lucky we have each other on the TMC forum. The 50 reservation numbers included are but a subset of those waiting and relying on hearsay. We deserve better. And, we’re being trained to root for manufacturers other than Tesla so we don’t go through this again.

EDIT: Typo/grammar above. P.S. @sam3194, thank you for putting this together! I always find it hard to write something on a blank canvas versus editing, so massive kudos 🤓👏

Last edited:
Ug, well need a car definitely by November here so went ahead an plopped down an order on a Y now also, estimated November delivery for those right now. If that comes in, will likely just take that. Definitely a cheaper car overall but will meet my needs just fine. For what I was going to put down on the S, I'll practically pay off the Y so guess it is the responsible thing to do anyway. (but secretly hoping can still get the S in ~Oct if possible hehe).
Im checking with PennFed today..0.99% loan rate on new cars is advertised. At that rate, Im not paying my S off. Will get 100% of it financed and put that $83k into vanguard funds over the next 5 yrs.

In my experience with Tesla - don’t wait for anything, just live in the moment.
biggest downside of long term ownership with these cars is that they age like cell phones - 2,3,4+yrs go by and you can’t use the same features as the new model without impacting performance to a degree that I’m not interested in. So the loss of trade-ups is expected and factored into the price of the car. If you spend your time trying to time this, you’ll waste your time not enjoying the car in the present. So either a) be ok with the cost of switches or b) know that what you’re buying is a great product and be ok with the fact that in a year or two or who knows, they will release something improved, and you’ll be in a position to decide if you want to upgrade or just keep the current car. But you just go into it knowing that within a matter of months, your car will be outdated. Is what it is.

Disagree. My 4 year old car can do the same *sugar* as newer ones except travel as far in one charge and charge as quickly. I have mcu2, hw3. Tesla, unlike cell phone companies, offers upgrades. Even 9 year old SIG S can get mcu2 and LTE (and parking sensors), etc.

So while my car isn't new it's not like a Galaxy S2.

Ehh. Comes off very aggressive. Was trying to be less so but to the point, if that makes sense.

My goal was to be clear with expectations and where things are, while also being brief. But, I can understand if that comes off as more aggressive than my memes 😜

I do think adding a couple direct asks to the letter would be helpful, so they know specifically how to meet our expectations.

A bit off topic but wanted to get the forum’s view on Plaid vs. Long Range. Knowing the specs difference between the two, do you think Plaid is worth extra $45k? Granted one gets boasting rights to have the fastest production car in the world but still…
personal choice. To some, $45k might be a fraction of their annual income. Thus, plaid is worth it.
For others (like me), while I'd love to have the fastest production car in the world, the LR seemed to be a MUCH better value. 3.1 0-60 is no slouch. And it comes with all the other improvements/upgrades that the Plaid gets, but at $45k less ($50k less for those who ordered pre price hike for the LR).

So it comes down essentially to how much one values that additional speed.

A bit off topic but wanted to get the forum’s view on Plaid vs. Long Range. Knowing the specs difference between the two, do you think Plaid is worth extra $45k? Granted one gets boasting rights to have the fastest production car in the world but still…
Whoa, whoa, whoa…there is a super-strict topic-adherence policy on this forum. Take it somewhere else, we can’t have you polluting the thread. 😁
Kidding of course, but I will say only you can decide what’s worth it to you. I’ve had a previous gen LR and now have a Plaid and really love them both. All depends on your priorities. The LR is really a great value as far as it goes. But the plaid is FAST.

I don't have exact proof of this, but I think the 2021 low suspension setting is slightly lower than my 2018. And thats because I have already scraped the underside of the bumper driving and parking in all the same places I have for years. You can't notice the scrape when standing and looking, but if you get to eye level it's not fun to see. I will probably wet sand it and do a little touch up.

My son-in-law was dropping off his model three for service at Charlotte and saw these fresh deliveries. The long ranges all have 21s, as expected. There was also a black Plaid there with a black interior. Wasn’t mine but I’m excited for everyone who is taking delivery

Attachments

• 79B27E4B-ACEF-4EA0-90AE-D46CFF2E5035.jpeg
    79B27E4B-ACEF-4EA0-90AE-D46CFF2E5035.jpeg
    338.3 KB · Views: 72

personal choice. To some, $45k might be a fraction of their annual income. Thus, plaid is worth it.
For others (like me), while I'd love to have the fastest production car in the world, the LR seemed to be a MUCH better value. 3.1 0-60 is no slouch. And it comes with all the other improvements/upgrades that the Plaid gets, but at $45k less ($50k less for those who ordered pre price hike for the LR).

So it comes down essentially to how much one values that additional speed.
Some people enjoy speed and knowing they are the fastest car at any stop light or on any freeway. Having the worlds fastest production car is ridiculously cool and a once in a lifetime experience. If you can justify paying the extra premium it’s a no brained IMO.

In the same boat, but we ordered the MYP in June. My wife just told me she’s happy with her 3 and doesn’t want to change…so I’m trying to decide if I want to get the MYP soon or hold out until Q2 2022 to get the MSLR. I don’t want to get both at this point.

Another struggle is that I’m driving a Corolla and hate it. I temporarily liquidated car equity to make a real estate purchase, thinking I wouldn’t have to deal with this thing for too long lol. Not really sure what I’m doing now. I feel like my outlook would be much different if I were in “car peace”.

Are you concerned about the loss from temporarily having the Y?
i'm making every stupid car decision i can apparently, what's another?
deciding whether to buy my 19 year old's lease, and my 16 to be 17 year old "needs" a car - so that's two. and no lease deals, and the 2022's are around the corner.
I bought my existing Benz, which is in the shop almost as much as my home, so I figured the Tesla had less "breakable" parts - like no engine or transmission. Yes, other things can go wrong.
My wife's Lexus is up next summer - so if she's fine with the Y, that could do triple duty - for one of the kids until their car comes in, etc. - and a spare car lets me sell my Benz while the used market is purportedly hot (though apparently not for my car!!!!)
There's also that Teslas seem to hold their value, and especially now if there are waiting periods, it may be possible to get a Y and unload it months later for cost or even a slight profit - that would be a free lease!
Back to my kid's existing car - the buyout isn't huge - $18k. But the real question is do I want to tie up the cash, and then I take the risk of loss of value (my Benz was rear ended which hurt my car fax) - anyway, I can lease 2 of my kids' cars and be done - rates aren't attractive, but I don't tie up much cash, take no risk on a car without a warranty, etc.
Not sure there's a clear answer.
As for the original question of the Y, the main reason we test drove was to see if she'd eliminate or need larger, like the X for more car pooling with our youngest, and since they didn't have a 7 seat Y we'll have to take another trip to the SC. we went last weekend, as I need to decide where the charger goes - central, or more convenient to my lone ev. Which, doesn't exist yet.