Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW I find the Tesla blue looks different every single time I see it. Completely depends on the ambient light. It does look flat from time to time but mostly I think it looks great. After 3 years of MSM I’m ready for something a bit more dynamic.
MSM is a fantastic color, but my wife's M3 is already MSM and no way do I want two MSM Teslas side-by-side in our garage. Not gonna do it; wouldn't be prudent. So my plan, based on the expectation that my LR's blue will be too dark, is to wrap it with a lighter blue.

Read it all. Really appreciated it. I’m focused on driving dynamics so I look forward to your thoughts in a few days or weeks as you learn the car vs your 3. Enjoy man!
@Bleedblue82 Got it! Will try to meet your expectations!

Edit: @Bleedblue82 I can say I like the 3 UI better as it seems to have more than the new S UI. The S UI is also buggy. This will all resolve whenever V11 is released for all Tesla’s. We are driving the aloha version, I think!

My only question with going aftermarket like the signature is what will be Tesla's criteria for unlocking the max top speed performance? Will they require their own tire/wheel "track" package or will properly rated wheels/tires do? Not that I intend to do 200mph on the regular but would be nice to take it out to certain venues that allow for such things.
This is EXACTLY what I'm wondering too. Here's my synopsis: you as the customer will not be able to go 200 if you bought the 19" wheels. For the foreseeable future.. The original wheels are likely embedded in the VIN. Think about it this way: A customer could totally lie and say that that they have the proper tires, when they haven't. WAYYYY to much liability. So the 19" cars are likely hard limited to their 163 mph. Tesla will possibly allow people to call in or send proof or something that way it can be unlocked. I mean, this could be serious. If a tire blows up at 180+ mph, or even 163 mph, you are pretty much dead.

Last edited:
This is EXACTLY what I'm wondering too. Here's my synsopsis: you as the customer will not be able to go 200 if you bought the 19" wheels. For the foreseeable future.. The original wheels are likely embedded in the VIN. Think about it this way: A customer could totally lie and say that that they have the proper tires, when they haven't. WAYYYY to much liability. So the 19" cars are likely hard limited to their 163 mph. Tesla will possibly allow people to call in or send proof or something that way it can be unlocked. I mean, this could be serious. If a tire blows up at 180+ mph, or even 163 mph, you are pretty much dead.
Does this mean my car will be hard locked from driving when it is below 40 degrees F with the summer tires? I would have to show them proof I got winter tires? I doubt liability is going to be a factor.

This is EXACTLY what I'm wondering too. Here's my synsopsis: you as the customer will not be able to go 200 if you bought the 19" wheels. For the foreseeable future.. The original wheels are likely embedded in the VIN. Think about it this way: A customer could totally lie and say that that they have the proper tires, when they haven't. WAYYYY to much liability. So the 19" cars are likely hard limited to their 163 mph. Tesla will possibly allow people to call in or send proof or something that way it can be unlocked. I mean, this could be serious. If a tire blows up at 180+ mph, or even 163 mph, you are pretty much dead.

Great point

Does this mean my car will be hard locked from driving when it is below 40 degrees F with the summer tires? I would have to show them proof I got winter tires? I doubt liability is going to be a factor.
If you drive a car with summer tires in the winter, it's on you. Top speeds are different. There is a chance that you may get hurt on improperly treaded tire in the winter. It is 99% possible that you die from a tire blowout at those high speeds. The car will be out of control before you've even realized what's happened.

Do any other automakers act this way with their high performance lines?

If you drive a car with summer tires in the winter, it's on you. Top speeds are different. There is a chance that you may get hurt on improperly treaded tire in the winter. It is 99% possible that you die from a tire blowout at those high speeds. The car will be out of control before you've even realized what's happened.
If what your saying had any merit, Tesla would hard lock your speed unless you are at a proper facility. If they are not concerned about allowing me to go 200 on a freeway, then what you are saying about their liability concerns has no merit.

Do any other automakers act this way with their high performance lines?
Most other manufacturers don't have different rated tires for their different wheels. The only way Tesla could be able to allow this, is if they did a Porsche and put a sticker that says TIRES LIMITED TO blank speed, and then left it up to the customer. Tesla has not done this.

Reactions: impastu
If what your saying had any merit, Tesla would hard lock your speed unless you are at a proper facility. If they are not concerned about allowing me to go 200 on a freeway, then what you are saying about their liability concerns has no merit.
Going over the speed limit doesn't go past design and engineering limits. Can you imagine the trouble, especially from the over-reactive media, that Tesla would be in of they let a car do over its recommended tire speed without letting anyone know?

Reactions: impastu and LucaRiv
That’s a great question. At least for me, although I’m now going to be using aftermarket 21” forged wheels, I’m still going to use the oem Michelin Pilot SS tires (which is what I would normally use). The s/w update that is supposed to unlock the speed limit past 163mph (up to 200mph) will likely be pushed to all MS Plaids (not LR’s) and of course, Tesla has no liability if anything bad happens if someone is driving that fast. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: impastu
Also, that’s why they leave the model year off the car until you get a VIN. My white interior will be a 2022 model year

44181BC5-A46D-4BED-949C-81081AF5AC9D.jpeg

I think I am with @2021plaid on this one, although I understand where you are coming from. There is no comparison with the risk of high speeds and not proper set-up (i.e. blow outs) and not running the right tire for the season. Apples and Oranges. I could see Tesla checking to make sure the appropriate wheels and tires are in place before unlocking. Not having the right speed rated tires to support those speeds is extremely dangerous.

For example, there is no way a Corvette dealer would sell you a C7 ZR1 Corvette (top speed 200+ MPH requires validated wheel and tire combo) from the show room without the factory wheels and tires installed. I think Tesla will see this no differently in that they would require the "factory combo" setup before the unlock. I could see the liability danger here if not.