Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still ask myself Why? I really did understand dumping the Plaid+. It was a bit of a one off and the Plaid really does have enough power. The battery range will likely come as a product of their development tree so building the original Plaid concept is/was nothing more than a distraction. The Roadster, even more so as it will share much less in common with a larger production car. I'm actually concerned about the S/X as, at a couple percent of production, they really would not make sense. Perhaps the numbers will come up closer to 10-20% as they ramp but at 1-2% they too are distractions.
I look at it from product management perspective (my day job):
  • The S/X are niche vehicles in the scheme of tings--they are halo vehicles who main purpose is to generate buzz, pull people in stores and make the 3 and Y seem more reasonable and achievable. This alone protects the S/X. I know some folks will push back on calling the S/X niche, but look at the reaction to Tesla not delivering few S & X in Q1 and Q2--barely a ripple, some "analysts" did not even realize there were no deliveries for most of 1H21
  • Even with the current cells, the S is a compelling car--it beats the pants of anything else out there, so while the 4860 cells would be nice to have, they are not needed. The CT, Semi and mega cast Y *need* the 4860 there is no other option so they get
  • The CT and Semi are important in that they allow Tesla to move into new markets, the megacast cars significantly shift Tesla's cost structure which gives them some mix of better profitability and pricing flexibility.
  • Once the newer models are locked down, I think they'll transition the S/X to 4860 which will further lower the costs (Elon lamented about Baskin Robins on the earnings call) and hassle of maintaining the product lines (they've already spent the money on tooling and production)
I think this generation of S/X is safe--after that 🤷‍♂️

What has your vampire drain been? I'm seeing a 10% loss every 24 hours. I sentry mode enabled and am constantly checking the Tesla and Tessie app…
I'm not paying quantitative attention to it but qualitatively my miles used to get out to the hangar in the morning is a bit more than my P90DL and is in line with the increased W-Hr/Mile I am seeing. However, at the end of the day, miles consumed way exceeds miles out plus miles back of my previous MS. This is consistent with hearing fans running and things not shutting all the way down in an orderly fashion.

Parked inside all day without any app access or sentry mode.

Completely concur. These flagship cars tend to improve the name brand, IMHO. They demonstrate that the car manufacturer has the engineering talent to develop a top end performance product, and gives confidence to consumers said ingenuity will permeate to the offerings on the product line. Look what he Corvette has done for GM, for example.
The difference for me is that GM needs Corvette..... Tesla can just make Plaid.

Having just read Omar's take, I think he nails it.

• The S/X are niche vehicles in the scheme of tings--they are halo vehicles who main purpose is to generate buzz, pull people in stores and make the 3 and Y seem more reasonable and achievable. This alone protects the S/X. I know some folks will push back on calling the S/X niche, but look at the reaction to Tesla not delivering few S & X in Q1 and Q2--barely a ripple, some "analysts" did not even realize there were no deliveries for most of 1H21
  • Even with the current cells, the S is a compelling car--it beats the pants of anything else out there, so while the 4860 cells would be nice to have, they are not needed. The CT, Semi and mega cast Y *need* the 4860 there is no other option so they get
  • The CT and Semi are important in that they allow Tesla to move into new markets, the megacast cars significantly shift Tesla's cost structure which gives them some mix of better profitability and pricing flexibility.
  • Once the newer models are locked down, I think they'll transition the S/X to 4860 which will further lower the costs (Elon lamented about Baskin Robins on the earnings call) and hassle of maintaining the product lines (they've already spent the money on tooling and production)

I will add one more car to your list of 4860 "need": roadster 2.0. Agreed?

What has your vampire drain been? I'm seeing a 10% loss every 24 hours. I sentry mode enabled and am constantly checking the Tesla and Tessie app…
My LR has been parked at a detailer since Tuesday morning. It sat unplugged the whole time. I left it there at 89% on Tuesday morning and it is currently at 80%.
6748123E-B986-4BE1-A003-317B3AEAA5F5.jpeg

And actually, I'm quite sure there will be a next generation S/X, as these cars are drawing their own lineage and legacy as we speak. Additionally, by the time the new ones are due, the existing MS will likely have well over 600 miles of range. Tesla is not going to want to give up that crown. It would be quite a bad look IMO if Tesla canceled their most high end, and high margin vehicles. These vehicles, along with the CT and Roadster, are the pinnacles of Tesla's innovation, with no limits to make them more affordable. This is one of the reasons I'm excited for the future of Tesla, as I'm excited what these vehicles will bring, and the innovations they are sure to bring as time continues.🙂

And actually, I'm quite sure there will be a next generation S/X, as these cars are drawing their own lineage and legacy as we speak. Additionally, by the time the new ones are due, the existing MS will likely have well over 600 miles of range. Tesla is not going to want to give up that crown. It would be quite a bad look IMO if Tesla canceled their most high end, and high margin vehicles. These vehicles, along with the CT and Roadster, are the pinnacles of Tesla's innovation, with no limits to make them more affordable. This is one of the reasons I'm excited for the future of Tesla, as I'm excited what these vehicles will bring, and the innovations they are sure to bring as time continues.🙂
Yeah, I go back and forth this. Part of me believes the S and X go on indefinitely and part of me thinks the the Roadster becomes the halo car for the brand. Tesla as a company seems to be tooling for high-volume vs high-touch and they really struggle with delivering the customer experience buyers of $100K+ performance sedans expect. I wonder if they cede that territory and focus on the volume models (3, Y, & 2) which would probably be more inline with the overall company mission. A couple of years ago, on an earnings call, Elon noted they continue the S/X for sentimental reasons and I wonder if a new CEO might be a bit less sentimental.

Yeah, I go back and forth this. Part of me believes the S and X go on indefinitely and part of me thinks the the Roadster becomes the halo car for the brand. Tesla as a company seems to be tooling for high-volume vs high-touch and they really struggle with delivering the customer experience buyers of $100K+ performance sedans expect. I wonder if they cede that territory and focus on the volume models (3, Y, & 2) which would probably be more inline with the overall company mission. A couple of years ago, on an earnings call, Elon noted they continue the S/X for sentimental reasons and I wonder if a new CEO might be a bit less sentimental.
It's an interesting question for sure. I believe the S and X will stick around though. I mean, Tesla is even reportedly going to designate an entire factory to them and the Roadster. The Roadster to the S and X could be the Lexus LC to the LS and LX. Another reason, is that while the S and X are expensive, they aren't as expensive as the Roadster. So along with the reasons I stated in my other post, they will likely keep the S and X around as side flagship, with the Roadster being the tip of the top.

I stopped in at the Peabody, MA location (where I'll be taking delivery). They told me my LR is currently on its way out of CA, so it just left Fremont. We set up a delivery appt. for Sep 9th. They offered me the 7th, but I'm working all day and can't get out of that, so this gives them a bit of extra time to baby my baby, no problem...

Also, they said that refunds (my $2K) would probably be sent in the form of a check rather than an EFT credit. Fine, whatever.

Glad I've got 5 days of full-time work scheduled between now and delivery, it'll help me keep my mind from fixating on the car LOL.
When did you order and when did you get your VIN?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I'm not paying quantitative attention to it but qualitatively my miles used to get out to the hangar in the morning is a bit more than my P90DL and is in line with the increased W-Hr/Mile I am seeing. However, at the end of the day, miles consumed way exceeds miles out plus miles back of my previous MS. This is consistent with hearing fans running and things not shutting all the way down in an orderly fashion.

Parked inside all day without any app access or sentry mode.
You’re not leaving any fobs or keys in the car, right?

Hi All!

I just wanted to give you guys a quick one month update. I got my January order Plaid in late July and after a very smooth delivery process, ownership so far has thankfully been both uneventful and much more than I'd hoped for. I previously owned a 2020 Model S Performance and while I loved that car, the refresh S is operating in another league completely.

I've found that as you experience the car over time, you really understand how many areas of the car that the Tesla engineers touched and improved, especially when compared to the outgoing car. All told, this is the evolution of the Model S that I was hoping for. The car looks awesome and is brutally fast while still being incredibly quiet, comfortable and utilitarian. It's superb at adapting to your mood, driving preference and needs at any given time.

Exhausted after a long day? Put on a relaxing Spotify channel, change the suspension to comfort, engage Autopilot and unwind. Want to blast through some mountain roads? Put the acceleration, steering and suspension in sport and have a blast. Want to rearrange your organs and what not? Change it to Plaid mode and pin it at any speed. Got a friend/coworker/family member/complete stranger that needs an introduction to electric performance? Cue up dragstrip mode and alter their perception of automotive acceleration forever. Want to fart at someone curbside? Tesla gotchu. I could go on, but this is my favorite thing about owning a Tesla- how they can adapt to you at any time. I love it.

I like the Yoke. In my old Model S, I could never get the steering wheel in a position that didn't block the driver's display and I found that annoying. One of my favorite things is the visibility out of this car and the yoke provides you with that unobstructed view that I was looking for. I don't usually have to do any complicated parking lot maneuvers, but I could see it being tricky for those that do. The interior overall is beautiful and I'm so glad I waited a little longer for the carbon fiber. The wood looks great in all the pictures I've seen, but I would've kicked myself for not getting what I really wanted.

I haul kids around and the overall back seat changes are a massive improvement compared to the outgoing Model S. The mobile app is truly great and useful. My wife has a newer Infiniti and while their app promises all kinds of stuff, it sucks and requires a pricey subscription, etc. Hatchbacks are useful as heck and I'm so glad this car is a hatchback. The only problems/issues I've had are some general observations that the software needs improvement, which I believe Tesla will do over time, while breaking other things too, haha. Also, this car has a faint fan running sound near the cowl area that my old Model S didn't have. That car would just shut off shortly after I parked in the garage. The Plaid will run this fan for over an hour sometimes after I've parked the car, even after a short trip. Normal behavior I suppose?

Thanks for reading my ramblings, I hope it helps some of you that are still waiting or are going through some delivery drama. I always wince when I read stories of complicated deliveries or post-delivery issues on here. I hate to hear em and hate it for the owners going through it. I'm not sure if I've just been lucky with my two smooth Tesla buying experiences, or maybe the Nashville Tesla folks are just thorough and do a good job vs. some other service centers that I've read about. I'm thinking it's the latter. Okay, been going on long enough...time to look for an excuse to go for a drive. 😁👍

View attachment 702139

View attachment 702140

View attachment 702141

View attachment 702142
thanks for the impressions. It is especially helpful for me as I am also coming from a Raven generation car (2019 LR vs 2020 performance) and have a 2021 LR order and need to decide whether it is worth the jump. A couple more questions relative to the 2020. 1) any impressions on charging speed differences? We drive cross country twice a year so quicker supercharging stops would be great. 2) how do you feel the cabin noise level is vs the prior car? Our Raven is pretty quiet compared to our 2014 but would love it even more quiet so was interested in the noise cancellation they talked about. 3) how is overall comfort of the front and rear seats vs prior?

Aside from potentially the yoke and turn signals - anything you feels isn‘t as good as the prior? Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Order/delivery timeline below. Will followup with more.

original Plaid RN113950065
unknown order date

call from Tesla & cancellation 05/31
New Plaid order 05/31 RN115065248
Black/Black/19"

nothing on acct page until:

07/30 am: August 11-25
07/31 am: August 12-25
08/01 am: August 13-25
08/02 am: August 14-25
08/03 am: August 15-25
08/04 am: August 16-25
08/05 am: August 17-24
08/06 am: no date
08/06 am: August 15-21 updated trade-in pics
08/06 noon: VIN 5YJSA1E63MF438xxx
08/07 am: August 13-19
08/08 am: August 13-19
08/09 am: August 14-20
08/10 am: August 14-20
08/11 am: August 14-20
08/12 am: August 14-20
08/13 am: August 14-20
08/14 am: August 14-20
08/15 am: August 15-20
08/16 am: August 15-20
08/17 am: August 16-19
08/18 am: August 17-20
08/18 pm: August 18-21
08/19 am: August 18-21
08/19 pm: August 19-22
08/20 am: August 19-22
08/21 am: August 20-23
08/22 am: August 22-25
08/23 am: August 23-26
08/24 am: August 24-27
08/24 pm: rec’d call, then: Delivery 10 am August 27
08/25 am: Delivery 9-6 August 27
08/26 am: Delivery 9-6 August 27
08/26 pm: I called - they said 10 am on 27th
(not in agreement with account page)
08/27 am: Delivery at 10 am

Delivery took about 30 minutes.

So I finally heard back via txt message from my SA about the possibility that if I found a "local" MS LR car in inventory that
I could take that car to be used to fulfill my order which is currently scheduled for mid December. I'd explained that there
was an identical configged car that had popped up early this morning and that I would've taken that one if I could. Not to
mention the fact that Tesla just released that car to the wild instead of fulfilling a current order with it. His reply "any changes
to your order config which would include taking an inventory car, would mean incurring the current price."

Talk about a first class crock of steaming bullshit. A joke is more like it.

I has some other follow up questions minutes after that initial conversation and never got a reply. Crickets. Pathetic really is all
I can say about how they treat customers spending $100k+ on a car.

So I finally heard back via txt message from my SA about the possibility that if I found a "local" MS LR car in inventory that
I could take that car to be used to fulfill my order which is currently scheduled for mid December. I'd explained that there
was an identical configged car that had popped up early this morning and that I would've taken that one if I could. Not to
mention the fact that Tesla just released that car to the wild instead of fulfilling a current order with it. His reply "any changes
to your order config which would include taking an inventory car, would mean incurring the current price."

Talk about a first class crock of steaming bullshit. A joke is more like it.

I has some other follow up questions minutes after that initial conversation and never got a reply. Crickets. Pathetic really is all
I can say about how they treat customers spending $100k+ on a car.
I was told that as long as it was the same model in inventory, it didn’t matter. You’d keep the pricing when you originally ordered. If you change you order, your price increases.