Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove straight from the dealership for a little spa treatment in the form of full PPF, tint and ceramic. The owner of the shop has a M3P and will plug in 110v each night, which should be fine for the week it's going to be there.

The LR came in chill mode and I left it there for the busy interstate portion of the 25 mile drive to the shop. Once I got off of the interstate, I switched to insane mode and hit it twice from 30mph. The traction is incredibly impressive. Tesla engineers are brilliant is my only thought.

Straight novice move not pairing my phone with the car prior to leaving, but the dealership was absolutely swamped with people taking test drives and accepting deliveries. They had approx 10 refresh S's with a nice mix of LR's and Plaids with both 19 inch and 21 inch rims. I just wanted to get out of there.

Once I arrived at the shop, I paired my phone to the car and app (so I can monitor activity this week). Good thing I paired the phone, because the shop owner texted me 30 minutes after I left because the card was locked inside of the car. 😂

My 2009 C63 AMG is a dinosaur--I'm trying remember the name of the slow and fat one. Stegosaurus! That's it! These are my initial thoughts during the limited time I spent in the LR. The software is old and won't likely see an update until I get the wall connector installed (I'm trying to push the 9/16 install date up).

As for imperfections, there were few. Panel gaps were good, all rubber gaskets fit well, and nothing noteworthy with the mirrors, doors or interior fit and finish.
The only issues included a few scratches under the driver's side front bumper, partially on the paint and also the protective plastic cover (see pic). They buffed them out for the most part. My shop is going to finish fixing the scratches prior to PPF. I have the worm and there is a very small stratch (maybe an 1/8 of inch) on the roof towards the windshield that wasn't enough for me to balk. Nothing else was noticeable to my eye.

Now the waiting game. I told the shop to take their time as I don't have the ability to charge at the house just yet. The owner said one week would likely be sufficient.

I know there are many folks who have waited longer or continue to wait. I don't know what happened that I got my car after three months, but I'm grateful and will be equally excited for others as they receive their S's. It's an unbelievable car. Cheers!
View attachment 705265View attachment 705266View attachment 705267
Congrats, she looks gorgeous! Shame about the scratches but at least they're difficult to spot!

cc @Leodoc

Damn this sucks, hopefully it won't cause Tesla to start limiting who can own a Plaid:
https://fox13news.com/.../fhp-2-dead-3-injured-after-man...

1630797567538.png

Why do you need a cashiers check? You can pay online with your bank account. I thought they didn't take cashiers checks anymore (or at least they were being very difficult about accepting them)
Either late last year or early this year, there were many new Tesla owners who paid online using their bank accounts and Tesla “accidentally” double-charged them; it took many weeks for Tesla to acknowledge and rectify these problems for those people and then of course there was the hassle and inconvenience of bank fees and bounced checks, autopay or other charges that couldn’t go through their bank accounts until Tesla refunded their $$.

So, no offense to Tesla but I don’t trust them with automatically withdrawing $146k from my bank account just AFTER I inspect my MS Plaid and accept delivery (which at this point is all but 100% certain but still…). I’ll be happy to stop by the bank to pick up a Bank Cashier’s check the day before my delivery/pick up appointment. 👍🏻

Either late last year or early this year, there were many new Tesla owners who paid online using their bank accounts and Tesla “accidentally” double-charged them; it took many weeks for Tesla to acknowledge and rectify these problems for those people and then of course there was the hassle and inconvenience of bank fees and bounced checks, autopay or other charges that couldn’t go through their bank accounts until Tesla refunded their $$.

So, no offense to Tesla but I don’t trust them with automatically withdrawing $146k from my bank account just AFTER I inspect my MS Plaid and accept delivery (which at this point is all but 100% certain but still…). I’ll be happy to stop by the bank to pick up a Bank Cashier’s check the day before my delivery/pick up appointment. 👍🏻
Ah that's fair, especially with a check that large. I'm only paying Tesla $20k and financing the rest so I was comfortable sending it via my bank account. Did the same with my Model Y.

Hi, since my flac files are playing, I assume the software in the car is converting them to mp3 format prior to playing? Do you have a cite to this so I can check it out and figure out when it will be changed?
Thanks,
No cite, personal experience. The USB stick I have with .flax files played fine in my Model 3, but shows loading errors on every song in my Model S.

I drove straight from the dealership for a little spa treatment in the form of full PPF, tint and ceramic. The owner of the shop has a M3P and will plug in 110v each night, which should be fine for the week it's going to be there.

The LR came in chill mode and I left it there for the busy interstate portion of the 25 mile drive to the shop. Once I got off of the interstate, I switched to insane mode and hit it twice from 30mph. The traction is incredibly impressive. Tesla engineers are brilliant is my only thought.

Straight novice move not pairing my phone with the car prior to leaving, but the dealership was absolutely swamped with people taking test drives and accepting deliveries. They had approx 10 refresh S's with a nice mix of LR's and Plaids with both 19 inch and 21 inch rims. I just wanted to get out of there.

Once I arrived at the shop, I paired my phone to the car and app (so I can monitor activity this week). Good thing I paired the phone, because the shop owner texted me 30 minutes after I left because the card was locked inside of the car. 😂

My 2009 C63 AMG is a dinosaur--I'm trying remember the name of the slow and fat one. Stegosaurus! That's it! These are my initial thoughts during the limited time I spent in the LR. The software is old and won't likely see an update until I get the wall connector installed (I'm trying to push the 9/16 install date up).

As for imperfections, there were few. Panel gaps were good, all rubber gaskets fit well, and nothing noteworthy with the mirrors, doors or interior fit and finish.

The only issues included a few scratches under the driver's side front bumper, partially on the paint and also the protective plastic cover (see pic). They buffed them out for the most part. My shop is going to finish fixing the scratches prior to PPF. I have the worm and there is a very small scratch (maybe an 1/8 of inch) on the roof towards the windshield that wasn't enough for me to balk. Nothing else was noticeable to my eye. They are going to replace the plastic protection underneath and behind the front bumper.

Now the waiting game. I told the shop to take their time as I don't have the ability to charge at the house just yet. The owner said one week would likely be sufficient.

I know there are many folks who have waited longer or continue to wait. I don't know what happened that I got my car after three months, but I'm grateful and will be equally excited for others as they receive their S's. It's an unbelievable car. Cheers!
Congrats!!! Enjoy!! 👍🏻😎

So glad I got my 8' cord before they stopped selling them. My charger is installed right behind the driver's side rear door. I would have cut off the extra length, but glad I didn't have to add another mod project to my list.

We have one 8’ and one #LongAss connector. Also have a 8’ black “reward from a while back” still in the box. People with long corded connectors you can get a garden hose holder and it works great

9293BCCD-FB8E-4C79-8DC1-654072A3E92E.jpeg
A766B9E6-ED46-4052-A2A1-6542BA98D414.jpeg

The only issues included a few scratches under the driver's side front bumper, partially on the paint and also the protective plastic cover (see pic). They buffed them out for the most part. My shop is going to finish fixing the scratches prior to PPF. I have the worm and there is a very small scratch (maybe an 1/8 of inch) on the roof towards the windshield that wasn't enough for me to balk. Nothing else was noticeable to my eye. They are going to replace the plastic protection underneath and behind the front bumper.

What did you do to the Tesla letters on the trunk trim? How did you get those chrome? A wrap?

Why do you need a cashiers check? You can pay online with your bank account. I thought they didn't take cashiers checks anymore (or at least they were being very difficult about accepting them)
Read a couple of stories about being charged prior to accepting and having all kinds of fun getting it back…or being charged twice… (not that it would clear twice).

I mentioned Cashiers to my SA and he didn’t say it wouldn’t work…

let us know how it goes….hoping they ask to move my appt up… 5 days seems long to inspect and detail…

I picked up my long range at Chesterfield (St. Louis) this morning.

Delivery. About an hour before pickup I received a text saying I needed to make a final payment because they don’t accept certified checks. I responded by noting that the Tesla website states that certified checks are accepted and that’s what I had. The response was that’s ok, come on.

After that delivery was uneventful. My inspection found only a knotted rubber seam on the passenger side door and mud on the hood (poor detailing). I accepted the car.

Yoke. I almost canceled my order because I was convinced I would not like the yoke. I was wrong. I had no problem driving with the yoke and I love the visibility. The turn signals seemed intuitive to me. My only complaint is the horn. That is a horrible design. And I have no worm.

Performance. The car pulled badly to the left at the beginning of the drive. I drove from St. Louis to Little Rock (400+ miles). After calibration I engaged AP. The car never pulled left again. No idea why.

I’ve read all the reports here about the acceleration of the long range. I never doubted those reports. But you really have to experience it to understand it. I drove conservatively until our first charging stop. As we got back on the freeway I had a long empty space in front of me. I floored it. My wife screamed and then cussed me because I didn’t warn her. Later, when I was going about 75, she wanted me to floor it again. According to her count, we went from 75 to 105 in 3 seconds. The acceleration is just crazy fast. I can’t imagine what the Plaid feels like.

We went to dinner after we got home. I had a couple of drinks and my wife drove home. We had an empty stretch and I told her to floor it. She did, and even though she knew what was coming, she screamed again. The car is just a beast.

Bottom line. The car is fantastic. I’m 67 years old and I’ve never experienced anything close. I’m selling my Mach e to my daughter, on very good terms for her, and keeping the MS. I echo those who say the aggravation and agonizing wait is worth it.
Thank you for your review, just what i wanted to hear! Everyday is a day closer to my Model S LR, the wait will soon be over. =)