Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These both fall into the "lost along the way" IMO:
  • Someone posted about seeing mention of a connection for a light engine in the refresh Model X door panel trim and behind the trim there is a blue connector that doesn't go to anything right now
  • There is a connector on the HW3 motherboard marked passenger display.
BTW, I pulled the wood trim from my drivers door a couple days ago and there is indeed a light in it. It is directly behind the metal strip. That blue connector in the door is connected to this piece in my car.

IMG_5950.jpeg

I did not realize the Model S did not have ambient lighting. Is it already in the car, but not activated? If I remember correctly, it was fairly basic anyhow compared to other car manufactures - right? So, when driving the Model S at night, the only thing that has any interior light is the massive screen? If so, that is fairly plain compared to BMW, Audi or Mercedes.

I don’t think I have ever seen a Model S at night (have seen Model 3’s and from the exterior look neat). How does the Model S exterior/interior? My current BMW 5 Series looks great at night interior and exterior.
The current ambient lighting pretty subtle--primarily some LEDs under the armrests. There are, however, indications that Tesla had/has bigger plans:
  • Behind the wood trim panels are little blue electrical connectors that do not connect to anything (see pic). Someone messing around with a refresh X found a reference to a light engine. You might also remember, almost all the test mules lacked the internal trim, which would imply they might be one of the areas where they were having a component issue (i.e. supply chain, or build quality)
  • Back when DynoTest was active (see pic), you can see that Tesla had planned for interior lighting options
One of the things repeatedly called out is the lack of differentiation between the LR and Plaid. I think fancier lighting might have been one of those things that was supposed to provide that, but got chopped along the way for some reason.

IMG_1313.jpeg
IMG_1308.jpeg

BTW, I pulled the wood trim from my drivers door a couple days ago and there is indeed a light in it. It is directly behind the metal strip. That blue connector in the door is connected to this piece in my car.

View attachment 731415
So there is a light there, and it is connected, but, not activated? That means a software update should make this functional, right?

So there is a light there, and it is connected, but, not activated? That means a software update should make this functional, right?
Correct. It looks like it is the metal trim piece blocks it from showing though. I don't see how it would be visible from the outside of the door panel.

@omarsultan's pic shows the connector that my trim piece is connected to.

View attachment 731415
Cool! That is a running change they must have made--on my car, the trim is completely different.

Correct. It looks like it is the metal trim piece blocks it from showing though. I don't see how it would be visible from the outside of the door panel.

@omarsultan's pic shows the connector that my trim piece is connected to.
Is there a better photo showing the actual light tube? That photo does not zoom in and if I manually do, it gets grainy.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
My EDD has been moving around a little. It's currently Nov 23 - Dec 7. Couple of questions:
  • How long does it take for delivery once a VIN is assigned? I don't have a VIN assigned.
  • From a charging perspective, what comes standard with the MS? I'm having a L14-50R installed in the garage. Do I need anything else?
I think that's all for the moment. I'm hoping the dates are accurate!

Is there a better photo showing the actual light tube? That photo does not zoom in and if I manually do, it gets grainy.
This shows it a little better. I think I'll pull it again and see if it is indeed illuminated when the ambient light is is on.

Update: Even though it is connected, it is not lit when the ambient light is on.

IMG_5953.jpeg

Last edited:
Cool! That is a running change they must have made--on my car, the trim is completely different.
Our cars are both 431 VINs though. They must have been building them with whatever parts they had at that point. Mine has the trailer hitch connector in the drivers footwell also. That is gone in later builds.

My EDD has been moving around a little. It's currently Nov 23 - Dec 7. Couple of questions:
  • How long does it take for delivery once a VIN is assigned? I don't have a VIN assigned.
  • From a charging perspective, what comes standard with the MS? I'm having a L14-50R installed in the garage. Do I need anything else?
I think that's all for the moment. I'm hoping the dates are accurate!
You need to order the 14-50 adapter from Tesla. All you get is a standard 110V adapter and a J1772 adapter.