Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Piss poor supplier quality control.
Exactly!

One thing that's always twisted my undies... Tesla touts how superior their glass is, yet EVERY PANEL in my Model 3 is distorted.

Luckily, the distortion in the windshield is positioned such that it isn't a distraction to the driver; it has to be viewed at an angle to really see, but once you're at that angle, it's Fun House levels of distorted.

I've also been unable to completely remove the suction cup marks from the rear window, no matter what I use on it. That's on the assembly process's shoulders, though, not an actual glass defect. Regardless of who's fault it is, the process needs to be changed to prevent leaving permanent marks in a customer's vehicle that can't ever be removed.

I'm still a huge Tesla fanboi, but am really concerned about the quality problems Tesla is having. Before they worry about adding huge amounts of manufacturing capacity, they need to make sure they're producing a quality product rather than producing a sub quality product en masse.

Exactly!

One thing that's always twisted my undies... Tesla touts how superior their glass is, yet EVERY PANEL in my Model 3 is distorted.

Luckily, the distortion in the windshield is positioned such that it isn't a distraction to the driver; it has to be viewed at an angle to really see, but once you're at that angle, it's Fun House levels of distorted.

I've also been unable to completely remove the suction cup marks from the rear window, no matter what I use on it. That's on the assembly process's shoulders, though, not an actual glass defect. Regardless of who's fault it is, the process needs to be changed to prevent leaving permanent marks in a customer's vehicle that can't ever be removed.

I'm still a huge Tesla fanboi, but am really concerned about the quality problems Tesla is having. Before they worry about adding huge amounts of manufacturing capacity, they need to make sure they're producing a quality product rather than producing a sub quality product en masse.
You're completely missing the point - the distortions in the glass are BETTER than any other company's distortions. I think even Donald Trump admits Tesla has the best glass distortions in the business!

Not necessarily. In optics, there is a term called clear aperture (CA). I’ve dealt with this in laser ablation and photo lithography over the years.

This is the defined area where the glass must meet spec. Areas outside of the CA don’t need to comply and usually have different quality criteria.

This is done for various reasons. Cost. Yield. Tooling constraints.
FWIW, I find it amazing that ANY auto glass looks good - when you consider the curves refraction, etc. - it just amazes me you get a decent image.
I'm no optic buff (pun) but if you think about a stick going into water, it looks broken because of the different media - not sure of the exact science bending light. But when you consider car glass, other than maybe side windows which can be flat, you have huge curves on a windshield and back window - that's the part that amazes me.
I don't have my new buddy yet, and i haven't noticed the distortion in the few Tesla's i've been in, and i'm sure i'll notice it when i look for it (if it ever comes) but still amazes me.

You're completely missing the point - the distortions in the glass are BETTER than any other company's distortions. I think even Donald Trump admits Tesla has the best glass distortions in the business!
"LOTS of people..are telling me..."

Whenever you'd hear that? That meant absolutely NO ONE..was telling him ANYTHING. LOL

• Funny
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
8E70E2E5-E259-4066-9D10-19A4860F42BD.gif

Three weeks with the refresh Plaid, all is good. The yoke is dumb, don’t waste your time telling me different, it does not make the vehicle easier to control, it’s a gimmick and a conversation piece, period. I got used to the signals after one week, there’re okay. Horn is a non-issue, Canadians are too polite to ever use it. If you haven’t taken delivery yet, at the delivery center, make sure your comfortable with the signals and wipers before you launch into traffic like I did. As a previous MS owner, every time I exit the vehicle I reach for the door handle which isn’t there. I like not seeing the parked wiper arms while driving, like previous MS. Really like the HVAC system, warms or cools without a bunch of wind blowing in your face, I hate that. Stereo is just fine. Went as long as possible with the stock tires, winters went on Monday. For those that don’t need winter tires FYI, they suck, May 1st can’t come quick enough. Couple minor panel gaps, a rattle in the driver’s mirror has me going to the SC next week. Love the wider body, reminds me of my wife, she’s wide in the hips, and she sure can cook.
Hope to see you guys in the future, please drive safe

Oh, the brakes… I agree with everyone else, trying to bring it to a halt from high speeds can be a little exciting, to say the least. The brake upgrade summer 2022 might be a good idea.
They need to cut us a deal on brake upgrades or make the package more attractive but yes. I think they had better brakes on previous models.

*Sugar* show alert---Picked up today ---Just sent this email--->

Hi Manager,

Thankfully I am home safe…in the 9 months I have been waiting for this Tesla, I could not have dreamt a worse delivery day.
I expected Safety & Quality in my new Tesla…and I received neither.

Quality-

5 minutes before I arrived, I received the following text, “we found a paint defect…” That car should have never left the factory looking like that (see pictures)…considering I presently have no vehicle...I decided on your option of getting it repainted in the near future with a Tesla loaner.

Next Issue—while pairing my phone to the car…we found another phone already paired. WHAT? WHO? See attached photo.
Next Issue-- ugly green tape stuck under the front Tesla emblem…see picture
Next Issue- Missing trunk piece

Safety-

During initial tutorial…SA stated “do not to worry about” the Tire Pressure sensor light being on…he stated the car will recalibrate and that will turn off…5 minutes down the road the error light was still on and then a new one appeared ”air suspension” (see images)…I called (couldn’t get through) and texted asking if these error messages should still be on (you have that text)…sure enough...a few minutes later the rear tire blew out while I was driving on the Interstate. Fortunately I was able to get to the shoulder without accident. Upon replacement of the rear wheel, we (the vehicle tech was very helpful) realized the rear fender had been damaged. (see pictures)
Next Issue- SA mentioned he was emailing me links to must watch videos on how to operate the vehicle….nothing as of yet.

I ordered this car back in February expecting a March delivery…while everyone laughed at me waiting these long months, I always replied, “It is a Tesla and will be worth the wait”.

I never thought I would be second guessing this decision…

Manager- tomorrow we need to discuss the following option:

1. Take this vehicle back—match me with another VIN of identical specs—I am not returning this VIN because I do not like a spec or are having second thoughts---This is a Tesla issue--I will accept a Tesla loaner until it comes in---doesn’t matter what model.

You know I want a NEW Tesla…that is obvious…my current VIN with a paint fix and a new fender would not be optimal at this point.

Crazy Stuff Fellas---Here I was thinking my journey would finally be over...wish me luck

Attachments

• Air Suspension Warning.jpg
    Air Suspension Warning.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Tire pressure warning.jpg
    Tire pressure warning.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Fender Damage 3.jpg
    Fender Damage 3.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Fender Damage 2.jpg
    Fender Damage 2.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Fender Damage 1.jpg
    Fender Damage 1.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Bluetooth Connection- Not Mine.jpg
    Bluetooth Connection- Not Mine.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Paint Issue 2.jpg
    Paint Issue 2.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Paint Issue 1.jpg
    Paint Issue 1.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Miscellaneous.jpg
    Miscellaneous.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 79
They need to cut us a deal on brake upgrades or make the package more attractive but yes. I think they had better brakes on previous models.
Agreed
As excited as me and my passenger were, I think the guy in the Sonata who drifted into my lane without signaling soiled himself, I might have set a record for 220 Kmh to 0.

Hi Manager,

Thankfully I am home safe…in the 9 months I have been waiting for this Tesla, I could not have dreamt a worse delivery day.

Quality-

5 minutes before I arrived, I received the following text, “we found a paint defect…” That car should have never left the factory looking like that (see pictures)…considering I presently have no vehicle...I decided on your option of getting it repainted in the near future with a Tesla loaner.

Next Issue—while pairing my phone to the car…we found another phone already paired. WHAT? WHO? See attached photo.

Safety-

During initial tutorial…SA stated “do not to worry about” the Tire Pressure sensor light being on…he stated the car will recalibrate and that will turn off…5 minutes down the road the error light was still on and then a new one appeared ”air suspension” (see images)…I called (couldn’t get through) and texted asking if these error messages should still be on (you have that text)…sure enough...a few minutes later the rear tire blew out while I was driving on the Interstate. Fortunately I was able to get to the shoulder without accident. Upon replacement of the rear wheel, we (the vehicle tech was very helpful) realized the rear fender had been damaged. (see pictures)
Next Issue- SA mentioned he was emailing me links to must watch videos on how to operate the vehicle….nothing as of yet.

I ordered this car back in February expecting a March delivery…while everyone laughed at me waiting these long months, I always replied, “It is a Tesla and will be worth the wait”.

1. Take this vehicle back—match me with another VIN of identical specs—I am not returning this VIN because I do not like a spec or are having second thoughts---This is a Tesla issue--I will accept a Tesla loaner until it comes in---doesn’t matter what model.

You know I want a NEW Tesla…that is obvious…my current VIN with a paint fix and a new fender would not be optimal at this point.

Crazy Stuff Fellas---Here I was thinking my journey would finally be over...wish me luck
OMFG dude. So sorry for that *sugar*. The SA's treatment of that situation was just idiotic. What a dumbass. How did he not even know about the damn TPMS in the 'service' tab of the screen?! First story I've read on here that made me audibly gasp. Man I'm sorry to hear this, and here's to hoping to see you in a proper car soon! Hang in there! It will still be worth the wait I'm sure, @Milamber. The MS is the best car in the world my friend (IMO). :)

Hi Manager,

Quality-

Safety-

Wow... What was your VIN number?

Hi Manager,

Quality-

Safety-

Sorry to hear this friend. Tesla needs to slow down and get back to basics: improve quality, reliability and customer service. Nothing short of a district manager emailing you personally with a resolution that's acceptable to you within 24 hours should be the case.

Stuff like your story, mine, @jebinc, @WilliamG is what's going to put Tesla out of it's misery if their rep continues to grow like this.

Hi Manager,

Quality-

Safety-

Based on the fact that the phone was already paired up wondering if this was a former customer return or a rejected car? Sorry to hear never the less.