Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely not lol. Knowing Tesla, this will be for all Model S.
i'm just feeling snarky, but
1) you guys have been pining for these lights for weeks (good 1st world problems) and
2) i just read that tesla cut production of redundant steering modules in i think Ys and 3's in China because of the chip shortage.

not sure what one has to do with the other, but wanted to try to throw some perspective around. If i ever see my car again, it would be great if they retrofit the new lights (ha, never happen) and i'll be satisfied if a) it works and b) they don't take chips OUT of it!

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
The new tail lights are nice (and tbh should've been included as part of the refresh to distinguish it), but the new headlights are what really interests me. I've never thought "these headlights aren't good enough", and I drive through some dark wooded areas, but it's always nice to have something better.

I'm sure it would be cost prohibitive (figure ~$2500 per headlight and $1000 per taillight), but I can't help but wonder about retrofit possibilities - the tail lights at least look to be the same size as the outgoing ones.
I have to question if they can even be retrofitted. maybe. but if they have matrix leds, let's say 168 of them, they might need additional circuitry to either be able to drive them or power them or whatever.
it's also possible that the cars were built with the idea that new lights were coming (maybe just not available for launch?)

i STILL wonder what that final "week of tweak" was before the unveiling in june. firmware? a panel cover? did anyone ever find out or figure it out?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I have to question if they can even be retrofitted. maybe. but if they have matrix leds, let's say 168 of them, they might need additional circuitry to either be able to drive them or power them or whatever.
it's also possible that the cars were built with the idea that new lights were coming (maybe just not available for launch?)

i STILL wonder what that final "week of tweak" was before the unveiling in june. firmware? a panel cover? did anyone ever find out or figure it out?
That final week is when they added the vibration.

I think the biggest problem with the taillights is going to be the trunk. If they really (and it seems like they did) changed / shortened the black bar that currently expands into the taillights, you are looking at replacing the entire trunk. Maybe that piece is retrofitted. Maybe not. So include a trunk in there. And then rear fenders - if the charge port changes (larger), it could be a new fender (or two).

I think the headlights are an easier retrofit option.
It looks like it still has the plastic trim piece like it does now, but it doesn't extend out onto the light like it used to. For sure you'd need that piece, but it remains to be seen about the connector. Tbh I have an MY and an S, and greatly prefer the lighted ring the S has above the Y's flap.

The connector going to the lights already has a data bus line, so they *could* use the same one. Whether they will or not is a whole different thing that I won't even pass an opinion on, as Tesla does whatever they want, haha.

Aside from that, it's just software, which could either auto-determine whether it has the new lights or not, need to be coded in, or just be based off of production date. A lot of ways to make it near impossible to retrofit, lol.

But we can hope!

GUYS. LOOK AT THE LIGHTS!

Official photo from Tesla!
no no no there is zero evidence of new lights

There is no reason for them to standardize the lights and save money. They will continue to use the dated looking lights in the US and give everyone else the new lights. No reason to think otherwise.
Yup lol. Even though the US is where the damn car is built, and their biggest/second biggest market, nah they'll just eff us over lol! Keep the old lights in America! 🤣
s/
(To be fair, I don't really blame anyone here, as I don't think it was widely understood just how different these lights are until today. :))

HAHA! They changed the pic! Go look again guys!

Boy am I glad I downloaded that pic!