Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard this for dual pane house windows, where there’s space between the windows. But I’ve never heard this for car windows.

Also the windshield is exactly like the roof glass. Two panes sandwiched together, so how is the roof glass more prone to cracking over the windshield when it’s the same exact thing. And the new Tesla’s come with dual pane windows on the sides as well, so will they not recommend tinting those?
Only the top glass is made of ganbertate, a weaker glass substrate derived from a gastorone composite.

True story.

🙃

Is top glass weaker than side glass?
In all seriousness, if it’s all the same glass structure car wide, then yes and no. The top glass is a larger piece than the side glas so in theory should be weaker, but it’s also curved which I imagine would improve the strength of the glass from impacts from outside/above/landing on the roof etc.

As for the tint argument, I highly doubt it makes any difference at all to the structural integrity of the top glass if any film is applied. That argument would have to apply to the rear glass and side glass otherwise, and nobody (that I’m aware of) has experienced any spontaneous cracking of any glass on the S.

In all seriousness, if it’s all the same glass structure car wide, then yes and no. The top glass is a larger piece than the side glas so in theory should be weaker, but it’s also curved which I imagine would improve the strength of the glass from impacts from outside/above/landing on the roof etc.

As for the tint argument, I highly doubt it makes any difference at all to the structural integrity of the top glass if any film is applied. That argument would have to apply to the rear glass and side glass otherwise, and nobody (that I’m aware of) has experienced any spontaneous cracking of any glass on the S
The use of dual layer glass should incorporate some kind of breather to keep pressure from building between the layers of glass I would think? Or is it expansion cracking inside the frame.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid

As for the tint argument, I highly doubt it makes any difference at all to the structural integrity of the top glass if any film is applied. That argument would have to apply to the rear glass and side glass otherwise, and nobody (that I’m aware of) has experienced any spontaneous cracking of any glass on the S.
That’s what I’m saying, if their excuse is that heat builds up between the layers and causes cracking then why do they still tint the other windows which are also dual pane.

Like you I’ve never heard of anyone having their window crack because of tinting. Not on a Tesla, or any other brand.

I heard this for dual pane house windows, where there’s space between the windows. But I’ve never heard this for car windows.

Also the windshield is exactly like the roof glass. Two panes sandwiched together, so how is the roof glass more prone to cracking over the windshield when it’s the same exact thing. And the new Tesla’s come with dual pane windows on the sides as well, so will they not recommend tinting those?

The response I got was the roof glass has a more direct angle to the sun and also has tint/sun rejection already built in. Adding another layer of tint pushes even more heat into the glass. Your windshield and rear glass are on an angle and only have one layer of "tint". I did not tint my windshield either.

I would call BS on the tinting shop that claims tinting a sunroof can crack it. How does reducing the temperature create more heat?. Team Acme As for something like this happening with Model 3's I bet it was an imperfection in the glass itself and if it happened on non-tinted as well as tinted sunroofs.

It is your car and it's your discretion if you will feel uncomfortable if it's tinted but I would instead ask a few other places and research it rather than believing "ONE INDIVIDUAL".
Like I always say, if something was so prevalent; it would be something that everyone is aware of and not some urban legend that some tinting shop owner thinks is true. I bet he has NEVER seen a cracked sunroof and he just doesn't want to do it.
Here is another reference from a few years ago on this website. Cracked sunroof caused by tint?

Nobody including this shop was stopping me from tinting it. It was simply their advice. They are highly respected in the Tesla community here and have probably tinted/PPF/you name it more Tesla's than the majority of shops out there. It for sure was not them being lazy lol. They would gladly take my money to tint it.

Also nobody said it was guaranteed to crack. I'm sure many tint the roofs and have no issues. I just didn't feel the need for it combined with added risk.

The response I got was the roof glass has a more direct angle to the sun and also has tint/sun rejection already built in. Adding another layer of tint pushes even more heat into the glass. Your windshield and rear glass are on an angle and only have one layer of "tint". I did not tint my windshield either.
That comment alone tells me that guy is not well informed. The sun is not in the same location relative you the car all day long.
I'm sure he is a fantastic tint and ppf installer; but I would just ignore that comment about the sun always being at a direct angle with the sunroof.

Someone told me when I was young that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west...LOL. Maybe the "tint expert" assumes that the car floats throughout the day to always have the sunroof pointing directly at the sun? (Sarcasm)

Last edited:
That comment alone tells me that guy doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. The sun is not in the same location relative you the car all day long.

Someone told me when I was young that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west...LOL. Maybe the "tint expert" assumes that the car floats throughout the day to always have the sunroof pointing directly at the sun? (Sarcasm)
Clearly, you're triggered by this. Go get your roof tinted and enjoy. Nobody stopping you or anyone else. 😆

I trust this shops experience and like you said it is up to the individual and I chose to follow their advice and also found that tinting the roof was unnecessary IMO after getting the other windows done. I'm a happy camper.

Clearly, you're triggered by this. Go get your roof tinted and enjoy. Nobody stopping you or anyone else. 😆

I trust this shops experience and like you said it is up to the individual and I chose to follow their advice and also found that tinting the roof was unnecessary IMO after getting the other windows done. I'm a happy camper.
LOL. Sure I'm triggered by someone throwing out urban myths as facts. I never said this guy doesn't know how to do tinting; I am sure as I mentioned in my post that he is a great installer and you should take his ignorant comments and just ignore them.
You are the one that posted the installer's comments that people shouldn't tint their roof and we responded in kind, and you are now saying it's unnecessary???? Hahahahaha. Okeee dokeee.

I hear tinting the sun roof can actually slow the car down. So no tinting or new hinges for me ! 🙃
We know the latest refresh is slower than the first refresh due to the additional motor installed for the swivel display. That motor weight is at least... 400lbs. But at least the latest Plaids now have more motors than the first Plaids. And more motors = more power, offsetting that 400lbs.

Amirite?

Cracked sun roof from tinting is an urban legend. People say its risky but it has never happened.
I had my wife's 2019 Model 3 tinted including the roof because it is a continuous piece of glass. When I took my MS Refreshed to tinting, the installer (another one) said he would not do it because it is very difficult to tint. So I just tinted the window and back. I don't feel I need the roof tinting. No issue with the M3 roof so far.

Here’s my guess… out of the 1000 Teslas that the shop tinted, 3 of them came back with a cracked roof from either stress installed at the factory or rock strikes on the road. The shop remembers these 3 cars very well and attributes the cracks to the tint based on faulty science.

Will a factory tinted roof parked in Death Valley without cabin overheat protection be less likely to crack than a tinted roof in Laguna Beach?

We know the latest refresh is slower than the first refresh due to the additional motor installed for the swivel display. That motor weight is at least... 400lbs. But at least the latest Plaids now have more motors than the first Plaids. And more motors = more power, offsetting that 400lbs.

Amirite?
I can’t tell if you’re serious, my mind says you’re joking but I don’t know enough about the rotating screen motor to argue your statement.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid