Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well this little idea didn't last very long. I'm cancelling my Tesla Models S Plaid order. I got a call from the dealer in Washington and they told me they won't ship a leased car to Alaska and the only way I could get the car would be to fly down there and collect it and arrange for my own shipment to Alaska. They'll ship it to me if I want to buy it outright, but I don't really want to do that at the moment. Oh well.

Hello Model S group! I just joined, excited to become part of the club in the near future.

Just ordered my Model S Plaid, and the order updated to reflect 29 January - 5 March 2023. I ordered it on the 7th (4 days ago).

I saw the option for the yoke vs wheel, after test driving the yoke I decided to go with it. I was able to test drive a 2022 model with yoke, and here is my logic for going with it:

The biggest issue with the yoke isn't just the wheel shape, but the buttons that we are not used to on the wheel rather than having the stalks. Since the wheel version has no stalks; I took that out of my calculus.

I went with the yoke because:
  • I am 6'3", and the little bit of extra clearance for my legs was great on the test drive. When driving my model 3, with the little wheel between my legs (even with the seat all the way back) and I always had to maneuver my right leg around it to get out; it was a touch awkward. I loved that car, but it was a bit small, and the Yoke helps with that in the model S.
  • The view of the instrument display with the yoke is very open, and that would be lost with the wheel. It is obviously the car was designed with the yoke in mind, and while it will obstruct the instrument display during a turn, it won't obstruct more than a wheel would 100% of the time.
  • I was concerned with the tight turns and the parking lot. So, I tested it out. I found that I had to intentionally grab the yoke for the hand over hand turns, but at the slow speeds it was not an issue. Also, the shape of the yoke on the top makes it easy to grab and know where my hands were. I could tell muscle memory was setting in after just a couple sharp turns. While I am not sure, it seems like a change that I will adapt to quickly.
  • The benefit of my wife not wanting to drive the car because of the yoke can't be over emphasized. She has her Model Y, and bluntly, I don't want to share or drive her grape (it is wrapped purple) if she decided to take my ride.
  • I see value in the safety aspect of the design. It will force my hands to be in the 10-and-2 position more often than not, and I did find that my left hand rests perfectly on the yoke while my arm is relaxed resting on the top of the door, so for me, ergonomically, it works out.
I accept that I am in the minority, but all things considered; I think the yoke will work out well for me. Obviously the yoke was a bit more controversial than Tesla anticipated as it has received significant backlash; I wonder if the option will truly sell more Model S cars?

Hello Model S group! I just joined, excited to become part of the club in the near future.

Just ordered my Model S Plaid, and the order updated to reflect 29 January - 5 March 2023. I ordered it on the 7th (4 days ago).

I saw the option for the yoke vs wheel, after test driving the yoke I decided to go with it. I was able to test drive a 2022 model with yoke, and here is my logic for going with it:

The biggest issue with the yoke isn't just the wheel shape, but the buttons that we are not used to on the wheel rather than having the stalks. Since the wheel version has no stalks; I took that out of my calculus.

• I am 6'3", and the little bit of extra clearance for my legs was great on the test drive. When driving my model 3, with the little wheel between my legs (even with the seat all the way back) and I always had to maneuver my right leg around it to get out; it was a touch awkward. I loved that car, but it was a bit small, and the Yoke helps with that in the model S.
  • The view of the instrument display with the yoke is very open, and that would be lost with the wheel. It is obviously the car was designed with the yoke in mind, and while it will obstruct the instrument display during a turn, it won't obstruct more than a wheel would 100% of the time.
  • I was concerned with the tight turns and the parking lot. So, I tested it out. I found that I had to intentionally grab the yoke for the hand over hand turns, but at the slow speeds it was not an issue. Also, the shape of the yoke on the top makes it easy to grab and know where my hands were. I could tell muscle memory was setting in after just a couple sharp turns. While I am not sure, it seems like a change that I will adapt to quickly.
  • The benefit of my wife not wanting to drive the car because of the yoke can't be over emphasized. She has her Model Y, and bluntly, I don't want to share or drive her grape (it is wrapped purple) if she decided to take my ride.
  • I see value in the safety aspect of the design. It will force my hands to be in the 10-and-2 position more often than not, and I did find that my left hand rests perfectly on the yoke while my arm is relaxed resting on the top of the door, so for me, ergonomically, it works out.
I accept that I am in the minority, but all things considered; I think the yoke will work out well for me. Obviously the yoke was a bit more controversial than Tesla anticipated as it has received significant backlash; I wonder if the option will truly sell more Model S cars?
For what it's worth, I've had my MSLR for 10 months, and have not regretted having the yoke a single day. I'd still chose a yoke vs a wheel today. It's part of what makes my car unique and fun, and I very quickly adjusted to the shape and the controls. No regrets! I'm glad the wheel is now an option for those who simply don't like the yoke experience, though! It should have been that way from the start.

For what it's worth, I've had my MSLR for 10 months, and have not regretted having the yoke a single day. I'd still chose a yoke vs a wheel today. It's part of what makes my car unique and fun, and I very quickly adjusted to the shape and the controls. No regrets! I'm glad the wheel is now an option for those who simply don't like the yoke experience, though! It should have been that way from the start.
100% agree. It should have been an option right away as some people (demonstrated well in these forums) either can't adjust, or won't. Also, while it works well for me ergonomically, for someone else it may be horrible.

100% agree. It should have been an option right away as some people (demonstrated well in these forums) either can't adjust, or won't. Also, while it works well for me ergonomically, for someone else it may be horrible.
Agree with you both. Going on a month with the S. And this yoke kicks ass. No trouble with hitting the buttons by accident. Would get it again in a heartbeat.

Reactions: lowtek

I've had the yoke for 11 month now and I agree the yoke is not as bad as some ppl made it out to be. I have to back out of my tight garage everyday and do lots of turning on the yoke, so far it hasn't bothered me that much. I've gotten used to most of the button positions and I actually think this method of signaling turns is a more efficient/superior than the old way. ...EXCEPT for the horn button, that is. This is a horrible design choice that even if you are used to where it is, you will still miss it most of the time unless the yoke is in the 12 o'clock position.

Yet as much as I am ok w/ the yoke, I still prefer the round steering - it only takes a few trips in a loaner to be reminded of what it's like to drive one-handed. :)

On the new round steering option, I am still waiting for new info... if it has the center horn, then I'll switch 100%. But if it still has the side horn, I'd say I'm 60% leaning towards switching.

Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
Today cancelled my MX order in person at the Tesla Store in Burbank.

While I was there, asked some delivery questions, got these answers:

15-30 min to inspect the car, they won't open it for you, you have accept car first.

No USS, No Radar, no word on new radar for either MS or MX.

Trim bar will be black but have raised letters in chrome, like the render in the order page. Rear logo removed.

20 plus MX and MS LR cars in local inventory. Expect these cars to start stacking up, maybe Tesla Sales will exhibit a change in attitude.

• Informative
Reactions: cwanja

15-30 min to inspect the car, they won't open it for you, you have accept car first.

Trim bar will be black but have raised letters in chrome, like the render in the order page. Rear logo removed.

20 plus MX and MS LR cars in local inventory. Expect these cars to start stacking up, maybe Tesla Sales will exhibit a change in attitude.
Well, you had great timing considering the price drops that went into effect tonight.

Question: Did you actually see a Model X with no USS? There has been no confirmation of this yet.

But what about the hinges? Again why did you cancel your MX order. I’m trying to decide between a MX or a M3 for the wife.

But what about the hinges? Again why did you cancel your MX order. I’m trying to decide between a MX or a M3 for the wife.

Still working on a fix for the current car wonky charge port door....hinges.

No ready for FWD issues.

The real reason is I can't justify spending 50k, now 30k out of pocket just to relive the delivery Experience, and a host of new problems.

MS LR....still last car...