Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the only way Tesla could skip 2024 VIN is to not make any cars that year.
Why? They can wait to start making 2024 vehicles until 12/31/2024. But they can start making 2025 models on 1/2/2024. Or they could continue to make 2023s until next December, and then switch to 2025. (Supported by @SignalX's post just before yours that VW skipped a model year on the Golf R.)

They have options. (I highly doubt they will skip 2024, but they have lots of time to decide to make the switch.)

Deliveries seem to be averaging 5 weeks from order date. Tesla typically switches to new year VIN between mid November and mid December. Assuming you order now your delivery would likely be 2-3rd week in January and the car would have likely been built after the average cut over date. I wonder why the “dealer” believes the vins will switch so late this year
Rather an easy answer. Just viewing the Many gaming the system with holds, wishes for hypothetical upgrades they will have a pile of custom orders piling up. As it’s by build date I wouldn’t be surprised if they have 23’s into January. Same games happened each year with speculators hoping for a tax break that never happened.

Hi Everyone - Ordered my Model S Plaid in Ultra Red on 11/6 after wanting one for 6 years. Finally pulled the trigger and have expected delivery of 12/12. Already went through all the steps and even paid in full on the app.

Question = I was so excited I failed to use my dad's referral link when making the purchase. So now he doesn't get credit and I don't get the $250 off or 3 months of FSD.

My car is ready and I have the VIN / have paid. The sales associate told me that if I wanted to I could cancel my existing order, reorder immediately, and get the 3 months FSD from a referral. Obviously I'd be out the $250 because it would be a wash, but I am anyway.

Do you guys think it's worth it? There is a chance I'd not be able to buy the car that's mine right now and would have to wait again?
CANCEL the order now.

Remember your VIN as knowing the number will be useful as they MAY try to give you that car again . . . .

Reorder after another 2 to 3 weeks to help ensure you'll get a 2024 Model Year car--that, and the three months of FSD are MORE THAN WORTH the loss of $250.

Side benefit: helps train Tesla to not be so "jerky." Seriously, why is Tesla so damn obstinate and obnoxious on these things? What does it really cost them to say, "Oh, you forgot your referral code when you ordered? No problem--we'll add it now."

Next to nothing. Instead, they bend you over and take your $250. It's so damn rude, but that's the Tesla Way I guess.

Now let's assume they text or call you a day or two after you place your referral-attached second order and report, "Good News! We have FOUND you a perfect match!" And you wisely ask, "Hmmmm, would that happen to be a 2023 VIN or a 2024 VIN?"

It's it's a 2023 VIN--check the 10th digit IIRC--perhaps even your old VIN, you say, "Oh, that'll be a year old in _____ weeks. That Model S will obviously have a major, 4-figure discount, right? HOW MUCH CAN I EXPECT TO SAVE IF I TAKE IT OFF YOUR HANDS?"

If no discount, it's a HARD PASS.

Tell them, "No thank you--that's last year's VIN. At this late date I won't take a 4-figure loss in value because if a tree falls on the car, or someone rear ends me, I'll be out a LOT of money since it's last year's VIN."

Don't let them take your $250 without some "give back!"

So cool your jets--you have ALL the power here when Tesla is "jerky" at the EOY!

CANCEL the order now.

Remember your VIN as knowing the number will be useful as they MAY try to give you that car again . . . .

Reorder after another 2 to 3 weeks to help ensure you'll get a 2024 Model Year car--that, and the three months of FSD are MORE THAN WORTH the loss of $250.

Side benefit: helps train Tesla to not be so "jerky." Seriously, why is Tesla so damn obstinate and obnoxious on these things? What does it really cost them to say, "Oh, you forgot your referral code when you ordered? No problem--we'll add it now."

Next to nothing. Instead, they bend you over and take your $250. It's so damn rude, but that's the Tesla Way I guess.

Now let's assume they text or call you a day or two after you place your referral-attached second order and report, "Good News! We have FOUND you a perfect match!" And you wisely ask, "Hmmmm, would that happen to be a 2023 VIN or a 2024 VIN?"

It's it's a 2023 VIN--check the 10th digit IIRC--perhaps even your old VIN, you say, "Oh, that'll be a year old in _____ weeks. That Model S will obviously have a major, 4-figure discount, right? HOW MUCH CAN I EXPECT TO SAVE IF I TAKE IT OFF YOUR HANDS?"

If no discount, it's a HARD PASS.

Tell them, "No thank you--that's last year's VIN. At this late date I won't take a 4-figure loss in value because if a tree falls on the car, or someone rear ends me, I'll be out a LOT of money since it's last year's VIN."

Don't let them take your $250 without some "give back!"

So cool your jets--you have ALL the power here when Tesla is "jerky" at the EOY!
Appreciate the guidance.

I’m not sure if I personally care about getting a 2023 or 2024 VIN. I plan on having the car for a long time. I’ve also already paid in full.

What I’ll likely do is go to delivery, ask again, and if they’re still “jerky” about the 3 months of FSD, then be very particular about the state of the car as I go over my checklist. If it’s not perfect, then I cancel. Is that even possible?

Appreciate the guidance.

I’m not sure if I personally care about getting a 2023 or 2024 VIN. I plan on having the car for a long time. I’ve also already paid in full.

What I’ll likely do is go to delivery, ask again, and if they’re still “jerky” about the 3 months of FSD, then be very particular about the state of the car as I go over my checklist. If it’s not perfect, then I cancel. Is that even possible?
Up until the point you hit the "accept" button in the app, you can cancel the whole thing. You'd just be out that $250 order fee.

Reactions: RyanC1384
You will not be able to check your car’s interior before pressing ‘Accept’. But in my case Tesla person promised to reverse the in-app acceptance if I later decided not to go with the car.
Is that a home delivery thing? I've always had unlimited time in the parking lot at the SC to look over every detail before writing the check.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Anddddd my VIN showed up last night. PF529xxx. MSLR SG Black Interior 21’s and Yoke. I put it on hold for 2 weeks. 2 weeks after that was yesterday. VIN went from 527xxx to 529xxx. Was really hoping by now it would have been a 2024, but I think I am leaning into taking it vs cancel and reorder from the beginning. I am in SoCal so I assume I’ll get it in the next day or two. Original order date was 9/16.

• Love
Reactions: teko and zoomer0056
Ordered an Ultra Red with cream and round wheel Plaid on Oct/20 in Vancouver. Delivery date was Dec2-Dec31 for nearly the entire time, then when Dec2 hit the date jumped to Feb18-April14..... I'm wondering if there was a glitch in their automated system since I had not yet had a VIN assigned and it rolled into the delivery window? Those dates don't even come close to matching the website on a new order if ordering today... Am I SOL?