Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered an Ultra Red with cream and round wheel Plaid on Oct/20 in Vancouver. Delivery date was Dec2-Dec31 for nearly the entire time, then when Dec2 hit the date jumped to Feb18-April14..... I'm wondering if there was a glitch in their automated system since I had not yet had a VIN assigned and it rolled into the delivery window? Those dates don't even come close to matching the website on a new order if ordering today... Am I SOL?
You are in luck! Better chance of getting a '24.

Reactions: Gpa9504
Why? They can wait to start making 2024 vehicles until 12/31/2024. But they can start making 2025 models on 1/2/2024. Or they could continue to make 2023s until next December, and then switch to 2025. (Supported by @SignalX's post just before yours that VW skipped a model year on the Golf R.)

They have options. (I highly doubt they will skip 2024, but they have lots of time to decide to make the switch.)
Ok. But why would they pause production for a year for no reason? Never heard this theory before.
Ordered an Ultra Red with cream and round wheel Plaid on Oct/20 in Vancouver. Delivery date was Dec2-Dec31 for nearly the entire time, then when Dec2 hit the date jumped to Feb18-April14..... I'm wondering if there was a glitch in their automated system since I had not yet had a VIN assigned and it rolled into the delivery window? Those dates don't even come close to matching the website on a new order if ordering today... Am I SOL?
That's a massive delay.

Funny. As I'm typing this got a text. VIN assigned. Don't think I'll delay 2 weeks as likely to not get me the front bumper camera I want.

Ordered 10/31 and a 2023 VIN

I never suggested they would pause production for a year. I suggested that they could continue to make 2023 model year vehicles into 2024, and that they don't have to switch model years by any particular date.
Ok. I thought they were required at some point to switch over. I'm not sure the advantage or why Tesla would even consider selling a 2023 VIN all the way through end of 2024. Wouldn't help sales so not sure why you thought of this scenario anyway.

Reactions: msm859
Ok. I thought they were required at some point to switch over. I'm not sure the advantage or why Tesla would even consider selling a 2023 VIN all the way through end of 2024. Wouldn't help sales so not sure why you thought of this scenario anyway.
If a customer takes delivery in 2024 or orders in 2024, they will want a 2024 vin or a discount if its still a 2023, last years model.

Knowing Tesla, I would not be surprised if they game the model year change timing based on the sales.
Actually, that's a VERY good theory.
When they calculate their Q4 total vehicles shipped to the street, their reporting could very well be based on 2023 models. Given the heavy focus on hitting those growth metrics, that's a very good hypothesis on why 23 VINS continue to be rolled out.

Reactions: Levo-EE and teko
home requires acceptance before you can even unlock vehicle.
Sort of true. I messaged them and said I needed to inspect inside before I could accept, and they called me and said that if I promise not to drive it until I accepted they would remotely unlock it. Which was done in seconds. At that point I had the key cards and could lock/unlock at will and took my time inspecting.

Many of the folks that ordered will give up the $250 and reorder to get the newer vin, that has to cause problems for Tesla inventory wise, but maybe not.
Except it is not a problem for every other car manufacturer on the planet. There is no hide and seek. They all tell you @ when the next year model is coming out - generally around September. They tell what exactly are the changes (if any) - usually a price increase. And people decide what they want to buy. Only Tesla keeps you in the dark. Just like wanting to be paid in full before you are allowed to look at or go inside the vehicle. None of this is "normal" outside Tesla world.

Sort of true. I messaged them and said I needed to inspect inside before I could accept, and they called me and said that if I promise not to drive it until I accepted they would remotely unlock it. Which was done in seconds. At that point I had the key cards and could lock/unlock at will and took my time inspecting.
Interesting. This is the first I've heard of this. I'm glad they allowed that

Reactions: aerodyne
Really strange to be getting a new Tesla after over a decade. Has been such a great car and I'm sure this new one will be a nice upgrade in many ways. Even with some of the questionable design decisions. Hopefully some of that can be fixed with aftermarket items and official retrofits over time.

But having over 300 miles of real world range will be great along with the faster charging.

Last edited:
Really strange to be getting a new Tesla after over a decade. Has been such a great car and I'm sure this new one will be a nice upgrade in many ways. Even with some of the questionable design decisions. Hopefully some of that can be fixed with aftermarket items and official retrofits over time.

But having over 300 miles or real world range will be great along with the faster charging.
I drove my 23 LR like a maniac (all highway driving and 150 miles per day) and my real world range was about 348-350 miles. It's fantastic to have that much range.

I drove my 23 LR like a maniac (all highway driving and 150 miles per day) and my real world range was about 348-350 miles. It's fantastic to have that much range.
With the age of my car, real world range I think is 180 miles or so. Good to hear. This one will basically be double then. I don't like to drive more than a few hours without stopping for a break anyway but this new car will allow me to stop when I want to more and skip a Supercharger now and then instead of stopping at almost every one.

That's crazy. I'd decline and leave. Go save some money and buy used.
They promised to revert to ‘not accepted’ state if I would’ve rejected the car after clicking ‘Accept Delivery’. I accepted that ) But I rejected the car even before that due to panel gaps. Interestingly, the car is still in inventory after 1.5 months.

With the age of my car, real world range I think is 180 miles or so. Good to hear. This one will basically be double then. I don't like to drive more than a few hours without stopping for a break anyway but this new car will allow me to stop when I want to more and skip a Supercharger now and then instead of stopping at almost every one.
Between my 2015 P90DL ("240 miles" @ 100%) and a MSP - it'll cut off hours of my drives to Austin, TX and be able to go to LAX - SAN - LAX without charging, which is a quality of life upgrade I need badly. Just trying to be patient.

Last edited: