Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got done "interviewing" a few paint correction - PPF installers.

One of the mentioned removing all badges, the front plate holder, the side cameras, and the spoiler (optional).

For those that added PPF/Ceramic and Plaid with the Tesla installed carbon fiber spoiler:

1) Did you have the installer wrap around the spoiler leaving it in place, or remove it, install PPF, and reinstall the spoiler?

2) Did you cover the headlights? I have watched too many videos and installer opinions are blurring. I have concerns I can't justify - looking for lessons learned after the PPF has been installed more than a year.

3) If you only got the front and rockers PPFd, any regrets on not going full car PPF? Its roughly double the cost for xpel which seems expensive considering alot of the upper car like windshield and other glass aren't treated.

Thoughts?

Just got a 2023 vin assigned, ordered 11/28, I'll put it on hold for now, it's 2024.....
Did you have a FUSC transfer attached to your order and subsequent hold?

If you did I am curious if your FUSC transfer was voided or otherwise lost when you issued your hold.

We have the order date. Unsure if you made it to VIN or not. Did you have any strategy of when to put a hold on this? It seems logical to wait just before delivery to stack this for a 2024, but...

One of the mentioned removing all badges, the front plate holder, the side cameras, and the spoiler (optional).

For those that added PPF/Ceramic and Plaid with the Tesla installed carbon fiber spoiler:

1) Did you have the installer wrap around the spoiler leaving it in place, or remove it, install PPF, and reinstall the spoiler?

2) Did you cover the headlights? I have watched too many videos and installer opinions are blurring. I have concerns I can't justify - looking for lessons learned after the PPF has been installed more than a year.

3) If you only got the front and rockers PPFd, any regrets on not going full car PPF? Its roughly double the cost for xpel which seems expensive considering alot of the upper car like windshield and other glass aren't treated.

Thoughts?
Yes, do the head and fog lights too. If you do just front and rockers, also do the flare out in front of the rear wheels...they catch a lot of rocks. Also do the rear wheel wells. I did my whole car myself two years ago. I can see where rocks hit the most are the rockers, flare out and the wheel well behind the tires. Yes, remove the cameras. It's easy to do and makes for a better install.

Did you have a FUSC transfer attached to your order and subsequent hold?

If you did I am curious if your FUSC transfer was voided or otherwise lost when you issued your hold.

We have the order date. Unsure if you made it to VIN or not. Did you have any strategy of when to put a hold on this? It seems logical to wait just before delivery to stack this for a 2024, but...
I'm thinking that when I get the next 2023 VIN assigned, I'm going to wait until a few days before delivery before requesting the hold, since it only lasts for two weeks. Might as well wait as late as possible to turn it on. They seem to be dragging out 2023 forever, so here we are.

Reactions: dn325ci

Thoughts?

I only did the front. A few minor chips on the hood. More noticeable than the hood chips is the windshield chips.

Save your money.

I've always done full front including the headlights.
For Plaids, I'd do the front of the rear fender flairs as they come out a bit more than LR and are more prone to rock chips. I did just the most prone section on my P85D myself making my own design and cricket to cut out xpel. Smaller sections of PPF are simple to DIY. The Cybertruck should be super easy for novices given there are zero curves.

Reactions: aerodyne
I've always done full front including the headlights.
For Plaids, I'd do the front of the rear fender flairs as they come out a bit more than LR and are more prone to rock chips. I did just the most prone section on my P85D myself making my own design and cricket to cut out xpel. Smaller sections of PPF are simple to DIY. The Cybertruck should be super easy for novices given there are zero curves.
According to some of the shops that have released YouTube videos on the Cybertruck, they are indicating that it isn't as easy to wrap it as they thought. Both OCDetailing and T Sportline talked about the sharp edges that want to tear right through the wrap and OCDetailing talked about the fact that they had alot of trouble getting edges to stick down. If you want to jump right to that clip it starts around 10 minutes and 11 seconds into this video.

Overall, it looks like it would be easy but if the professionals are having to redo their work due to separation overnight there may be less installers that want to take on this challenge .... I guess that's another positive for getting the Model S! 😉

• Informative
Reactions: sorka

Thoughts?
I got full body PPF - everything covered. The rear spoiler was removed and then reattached once the PPF was dry. They had my car for 6 days. They said the rear spoiler basically popped right off. They figured it would have flown off on its own within a few weeks based on how it was installed from the factory.

All trim and cameras were removed for the install. I had Alset Auto do the work for me. I'm not saying they're the best but they stand behind their product and that mattered more to me personally. Be aware, they are a franchise, so not all Alset locations are created equally. I had an incredibly good experience there with very nice people.

I got full body PPF - everything covered. The rear spoiler was removed and then reattached once the PPF was dry. They had my car for 6 days. They said the rear spoiler basically popped right off. They figured it would have flown off on its own within a few weeks based on how it was installed from the factory.

All trim and cameras were removed for the install. I had Alset Auto do the work for me. I'm not saying they're the best but they stand behind their product and that mattered more to me personally. Be aware, they are a franchise, so not all Alset locations are created equally. I had an incredibly good experience there with very nice people.

Double check that the side marker cameras aren't wiggling loose. Mine were and Tesla blamed my PPF installer although I'm fairly certain they were like that prior to the install.

I think I need to switch back to my desired configuration and just get the '23 assigned to me again. I'm concerned that leaving it set on a configuration I don't want might lead to me getting assigned a car I don't want, or the prices increase before I can change it back... Hmm.

It looks like there is new version of the steering wheel and yoke with a mechanical horn... 2023.44.30.8 is supposed to be the firmware that is needed.

There is also mention of a 2024 efficiency package being supported by that version for the Model S.
One more reason people should take those 2023 models still in stock! Those will be collector items! Hurry!

Reactions: ShankD
According to some of the shops that have released YouTube videos on the Cybertruck, they are indicating that it isn't as easy to wrap it as they thought. Both OCDetailing and T Sportline talked about the sharp edges that want to tear right through the wrap and OCDetailing talked about the fact that they had alot of trouble getting edges to stick down. If you want to jump right to that clip it starts around 10 minutes and 11 seconds into this video.

Overall, it looks like it would be easy but if the professionals are having to redo their work due to separation overnight there may be less installers that want to take on this challenge .... I guess that's another positive for getting the Model S! 😉
It’s a tank. Do not PPF a tank.

• Funny
Reactions: sorka
It looks like there is new version of the steering wheel and yoke with a mechanical horn... 2023.44.30.8 is supposed to be the firmware that is needed.

There is also mention of a 2024 efficiency package being supported by that version for the Model S.
Interesting but it does look like the range dropped on all the car models now on the tesla website.