Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's just there are multiple groups that schedule these things and none of them coordinate and have any idea what the others are doing.
Fully agreed based on recent experience between a M3, a Roadster v2, and now this MSP. Kudos and an upvote to the local delivery site personnel and a downvote for the anonymous agents behind the Tesla app and sms numbers.

@Yelobird. The local delivery center had no idea about indoor delivery when we talked that the "if it means that much to you" anonymous agent messaged back about but didn't add to delivery notes. Shady. In comparison, my 2014 S was delivered with impressive compared to dealership, no BS communication, and indoors. My current 2017 S was delivered well enough and indoors, though they did put me on the road where they needed a critical piece of paperwork faxed back that very night when I arrived home plus they left me in demo mode (facepalm) for a day or so. My 2017 M3 was my first parking lot delivery in autumn rain and a delivery fiasco due to poor communications (everyone says to give it a pass though - blame popularity and growth). My roadster v2 order experience was poor due to very little communication beyond announcement and deposit refund. This newest order is working on being the worst experience except for my Tesla solar attempt (I just had to give up) despite the MSP being Tesla's shipping pinnacle car. Plus I have this justified by this forum paranoia of will this $90k+ vehicle be defect free enough with a 5 page checklist from the other tmc thread to run through or will it be a reject candidate. /rant

I'm almost certain the app messaging recipients are based on what you select in the app. If you go to Ask a Question, you hit the folks in Vegas I believe. I think that's their main sales & customer service hub. The regional folks generally don't communicate directly with customers that I've seen. When you communicate via the service portion of the app, that's almost always directly with the service center folks. I know I've spoken with the tech directly who was working on my car via that method, but I'm pretty sure they can all see the messages. To be honest, it's a pretty efficient and well managed communication system - at least that's been my experience.

Reactions: Yelobird
IMG_5455.jpeg

The best way I have found to keep tabs on your order is to visit a store before you get a VIN, and talk to a SA and get their contact info.

You will often get the regional center if you call the store when they are too busy to pick up, say right after opening.

Looking forward to seeing the first on TMC to get VINdicated with a '24.

Reactions: teko
So, did anyone else catch the Freemont flyover earlier this evening (YouTube link here).

At first I thought that the drone operator was way off with his statement about "All the S and X" models in the parking lot. I was starting to think that those were the same cars from the January 4th flyover.

Thankfully that's not the case.
Those are likely 2023s, wait until they start doling those out! 🤣

Those are likely 2023s, wait until they start doling those out! 🤣
They may very well be, sadly. I've been watching new MS both LR and Plaid come into my All Deliverable area over the last few days and I don't believe they are 2024's.

EDIT: Wow, pretty big discounts on 2023's just started tonight. About 2,500 - 3,000 off on "New Vehicle" Plaids I noticed.

1705027377003.png

Last edited:
They may very well be, sadly. I've been watching new MS both LR and Plaid come into my All Deliverable area over the last few days and I don't believe they are 2024's.

EDIT: Wow, pretty big discounts on 2023's just started tonight. About 2,500 - 3,000 off on "New Vehicle" Plaids I noticed.
Here in the west coast armpit there are only demos left, no new vehicles, so I hope that is indication of 2024 being imminent.

Reactions: rugar760
So Tesla discounting 2023 inventory models by $2,500+ while keeping pricing on new orders which are ‘exactly the same’ unchanged is basically a proof that model years do matter for resale.
I don't think anyone argued it didn't matter at all. Just that after a number of years two identical cars built one day an apart with different model years wouldn't have a drastic difference in resale value. If people sell their cars after 3-4 years anyway, not sure why resale is a major concern as buying new and not keeping for 8+ years is usually a financial loser anyway. Buy used if resale is a major concern.

I don't think anyone argued it didn't matter at all. Just that after a number of years two identical cars built one day an apart with different model years wouldn't have a drastic difference in resale value. If people sell their cars after 3-4 years anyway, not sure why resale is a major concern as buying new and not keeping for 8+ years is usually a financial loser anyway. Buy used if resale is a major concern.
What is a drastic difference in resale value? 1k, 2k or 5k? Its January 10th 2024, if I take delivery today, I want a 2024 or if its a 2023, give me a discount. Tesla can't have it both ways and leave us all in the dark. This is why people are passing on 2023s right now. Tesla could raise the price of 2024s, that would make more sense.

What is a drastic difference in resale value? 1k, 2k or 5k? Its January 10th 2024, if I take delivery today, I want a 2024 or if its a 2023, give me a discount. Tesla can't have it both ways and leave us all in the dark. This is why people are passing on 2023s right now. Tesla could raise the price of 2024s, that would make more sense.
Tesla isn't having it both ways. If you want a 2024, wait until you know 2024 VINs are being assigned and order then. People would get upset if they raised prices on 2024. Then if in 3 months Tesla dropped prices back to old price, people would get upset yet again.

Reactions: ucmndd
So Tesla discounting 2023 inventory models by $2,500+ while keeping pricing on new orders which are ‘exactly the same’ unchanged is basically a proof that model years do matter for resale.
Having what I started to consider as the last ultra red / cream combo MSP with 19" 2023 was me mentally settling. Mostly defect free is the goal I keep telling myself.

Knowing the same car but with 21" rims, tagged as new in inventory, in transit to the same delivery center but advertised for less than one with 19" just rubbing salt in the wound now.

Reactions: Dylan McNamee
Having what I started to consider as the last ultra red / cream combo MSP with 19" 2023 was me mentally settling. Mostly defect free is the goal I keep telling myself.

Knowing the same car but with 21" rims, tagged as new in inventory, in transit to the same delivery center but advertised for less than one with 19" just rubbing salt in the wound now.
Yeah, but with the 21" rims you need to get camber shims or arms and an alignment, or you'll wear through the inside edge of the tire and the tread delaminates. Ask me how I know ... 😅

Tesla isn't having it both ways. If you want a 2024, wait until you know 2024 VINs are being assigned and order then. People would get upset if they raised prices on 2024. Then if in 3 months Tesla dropped prices back to old price, people would get upset yet again.
They are by keeping us all in the dark, like letting a buyer know when the 2024s will be released, what is so hard about that? Transparency would be good for Tesla as well.

Reactions: aerodyne and teko
They are by keeping us all in the dark, like letting a buyer know when the 2024s will be released, what is so hard about that? Transparency would be good for Tesla as well.
Because some people would cancel their order and they'd have a few thousand cars they'd need to heavily discount. The people who really care can wait. Those that don't really care will order when they order.

Or Tesla simply needs to up the reservation deposit to $1,000 or something.

Or Tesla simply needs to up the reservation deposit to $1,000 or something.

The fact that they haven't done that means they don't really care. They build cars and assign them to people. They move them around if people change or cancel their orders. Or they just ship them anyway and they sit at SCs.

The good news is they have started to discount the '23 Plaids. If they get to $5k discount and there are no changes to the '24s, I'll bite and take a '23.