Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd hold off if I were you. I'd definitely not be buying a Tesla Model S or 3 at the moment. I sense changes right around the corner. And yes, I know Tesla is always making changes, but it feels like they are right around the corner.

But if they are RIGHT around the corner, and if there's a price increase coming, it's likely to be when the changes are revealed/announced, no?

But if they are RIGHT around the corner, and if there's a price increase coming, it's likely to be when the changes are revealed/announced, no?
Hard to say. But in for a penny, no? I'd much rather pay a little more and have all the extra goodies that are rumored, like the new seats, front camera, ambient lighting, and possible other changes. With a front camera I wouldn't need ultrasonics anymore at all on the car for the most part (rain be damned). That would be glorious. Ugly-ass circles on the bumpers, bleh...

Reactions: teko and Hayseed_MS
The whole camera situation is perplexing to me. It feels like we've regressed by orders of magnitude. We have far superior technology to be able to detect objects at much greater distances with much finer detail in absolutely any weather or conditions than the best cameras out there.

I was on a long drive the other day and I had the car in autopilot and it kept kicking me out because one of the pillar cameras was hampered in some way. Probably condensation or something. I really don't understand.

Could you imagine our air force trying to engage other aircraft and getting a yellow exclamation point on their HUD saying "unable to acquire target due to camera lens obstruction. Please try again later."

Combination of radar and lidar ends all of this mess. I get the costs but then don't implement the technology...

/rant

The whole camera situation is perplexing to me. It feels like we've regressed by orders of magnitude. We have far superior technology to be able to detect objects at much greater distances with much finer detail in absolutely any weather or conditions than the best cameras out there.

I was on a long drive the other day and I had the car in autopilot and it kept kicking me out because one of the pillar cameras was hampered in some way. Probably condensation or something. I really don't understand.

Could you imagine our air force trying to engage other aircraft and getting a yellow exclamation point on their HUD saying "unable to acquire target due to camera lens obstruction. Please try again later."

Combination of radar and lidar ends all of this mess. I get the costs but then don't implement the technology...

/rant
Most people agree with you. Unfortunately a certain moron of a CEO believes everything can be done with vision because "humans have two eyes"

/rant
Agreed. My $200 robot vacuum has lidar. Why doesn't the most advanced car? Please replace Elon with an adult.

Reactions: teko and aerodyne
I'm with you and I've always been a "more power is better" car guy, but I think we're approaching a physical boundary, mostly due to the traction limitations of AWD. The 1200HP/1400TQ Sapphire is not really faster. The 0-60 run in 1,020HP Plaid is a medical event now for a lot of people. Drag racers will always look for the next tenth, but it's hard to make the case for much more than 1,000 HP in street cars.
I’d have to agree. I think I have to really warn people when I take them for a ride in the MSP.
I took an Older coworker for a launch and he almost passed out. I’m thinking a waiver might have to be involved. 😂

Its my time.

Picked up the "last" ultra red 2023 made in 2023 with a build date of 12/28.

I am not going to consider 2023s made in 2024 as "last" as it's already a weak point.

Anyhow, took a printed checklist from another area of this forum. A cursory review of fit and finish seem like this vehicle's panel, paint and interior are fine.
FUSC transferred without issue. I am not going to miss my 2017s forever beta AP of EAP/FSD.

My detailer may have other news...

No new horn or other changes yet.

The delivery and service personnel I interacted have heard rumors of the new horn - steering wheel in Q1. While acknowledged, new front seating and ambient lighting were "further out" as official news and training haven't occurred.

I was told the 3% discount for 2023s was a timing mistake. It was supposed to be applied to tesla's website after the color price increase that made its way online in the past 24 hours.

Now that I am past this buying part of the lifecycle, I really do hope I have a relatively defect free sample and as this crappy Chicagoland / Northwest Indiana weather clears a spirited ride awaits.

The prediction is 2024 S will start delivering Feb.

Now to the real questions, did I make it home in 20F cold without sandblasting some panel from highway salt and snow crystals?

Should I PPF full or front to rockers? No USS, so less cutouts, right?

Should it be transparent or satin on ultra red?

When I get it back, what tire setup should be tried (first)?

Anyhow, many thanks to the group for putting up with my paranoia, questions, typos and such!

Adults run the other car companies, so we can compare results side-by-side.
I think supercruise is beating FSD. Not that I actually want to buy anything from GM....

I think startup companies need visionary leaders at the start. But, once the product roadmap is set, they just need stable leadership to execute the plan and focus on quality. We don't need laundry-folding robots and cold air thrusters. Just deliver high quality cars. Improve service. Improve manufacturing. Improve customer communication. Straight forward stuff. But, it requires a culture shift to stable leadership.

Its my time.

I am not going to consider 2023s made in 2024 as "last" as it's already a weak point.

Anyhow, took a printed checklist from another area of this forum. A cursory review of fit and finish seem like this vehicle's panel, paint and interior are fine.
FUSC transferred without issue. I am not going to miss my 2017s forever beta AP of EAP/FSD.

The delivery and service personnel I interacted have heard rumors of the new horn - steering wheel in Q1. While acknowledged, new front seating and ambient lighting were "further out" as official news and training haven't occurred.

I was told the 3% discount for 2023s was a timing mistake. It was supposed to be applied to tesla's website after the color price increase that made its way online in the past 24 hours.

Now that I am past this buying part of the lifecycle, I really do hope I have a relatively defect free sample and as this crappy Chicagoland / Northwest Indiana weather clears a spirited ride awaits.

Now to the real questions, did I make it home in 20F cold without sandblasting some panel from highway salt and snow crystals?

Anyhow, many thanks to the group for putting up with my paranoia, questions, typos and such!
These are the views of a grumpy old man. Only worth $0.01

Do what you can afford. Pay extra for a reputable company that stands behind their work. I would rather only do front and rear fenders and pay more for long term support from a reputable company.

Ultra Red is meant to be Ultra. I would not do satin.

If this question is related to summer/winter setup, I'm in Florida. The only snow we have is in a cone. The factory Pirelli's on the 19's are garbage as far as I'm concerned. I'll be replacing with Michelin when these are done.

Reactions: Deisic and calm-one
I think supercruise is beating FSD. Not that I actually want to buy anything from GM....

I think startup companies need visionary leaders at the start. But, once the product roadmap is set, they just need stable leadership to execute the plan and focus on quality. We don't need laundry-folding robots and cold air thrusters. Just deliver high quality cars. Improve service. Improve manufacturing. Improve customer communication. Straight forward stuff. But, it requires a culture shift to stable leadership.
Unless there is something else to innovate on, and you can keep running multiple startups within the company. At least this is what Tesla is claiming to be.

I think FSD is this area. It is far from even remotely being complete. Now, GM is about to stop innovating, as many others, except for Tesla: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2024/01/gm-may-be-canceling-ultra-cruise/amp/

Despite all the craziness, I think it is a good thing that Tesla is run as a startup. It gives everyone more options and forces prices down. Everyone may always buy something more conservative from a different company, like Rivian.

Reactions: Yelobird
Its my time.

Welcome to the club. Also your service people are clueless. The new steering wheel is already out, complete with regular horn activation.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Welcome to the club. Also your service people are clueless. The new steering wheel is already out, complete with regular horn activation.

That could very well be. I was focusing conversation on the 2024 MS, I didn't wander into MX or other vehicle territory. My goal was to discover if it was going to be made available for my year; no bueno.

No vibrations or rattles or abnormal wind noises as I put 50 miles on the way home.

Quite strange to drive without the music on unless its a nice summer day with windows and sunroof open. Mostly toll road/freeway driving. Tried suspension on high and mid; avoiding low. Tease me, I set it for chill. The revised goal going home was to avoid ice chunks flying off semi trailers or already skating across the roadway. Fingers crossed 50 becomes 50000 troublefree miles.

I don't get the earlier comments about not being able to see everything on the instrument cluster with a steering wheel. I could. Sure I could move the wheel or seat into positions that would block some view but why?

Forgot to mention no wrinkles on the seats.

Last item. I asked about reporting defects post delivery. I was told 24 hours / 1 day. I was surprised. Validated it is not 3 days as I believe I read elsewhere on the forum.

That could very well be. I was focusing conversation on the 2024 MS, I didn't wander into MX or other vehicle territory. My goal was to discover if it was going to be made available for my year; no bueno.

No vibrations or rattles or abnormal wind noises as I put 50 miles on the way home.

Quite strange to drive without the music on unless its a nice summer day with windows and sunroof open. Mostly toll road/freeway driving. Tried suspension on high and mid; avoiding low. Tease me, I set it for chill. The revised goal going home was to avoid ice chunks flying off semi trailers or already skating across the roadway. Fingers crossed 50 becomes 50000 troublefree miles.

I don't get the earlier comments about not being able to see everything on the instrument cluster with a steering wheel. I could. Sure I could move the wheel or seat into positions that would block some view but why?

Forgot to mention no wrinkles on the seats.

Last item. I asked about reporting defects post delivery. I was told 24 hours / 1 day. I was surprised. Validated it is not 3 days as I believe I read elsewhere on the forum.
Glad you’re enjoying. The car automatically goes into Low suspension on the highway, btw. You can override to Medium height but you’ll have to continually do that so don’t waste your time.

Oh, and if you ever use Chill mode again, you forfeit ownership privileges.

Last edited: