Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess Elon's assertion yesterday that Model S orders have been increasing prior to, and after, the Model 3 Delivery Event has pretty much put a bullet through the head of the argument that Tesla will have to improve the Model S to avoid Model 3 from cannibalizing Model S sales. Perhaps a Model S range and interior update is not so imminent, after all.

I guess Elon's assertion yesterday that Model S orders have been increasing prior to, and after, the Model 3 Delivery Event has pretty much put a bullet through the head of the argument that Tesla will have to improve the Model S to avoid Model 3 from cannibalizing Model S sales. Perhaps a Model S range and interior update is not so imminent, after all.

With Elon, the devil is in the details. He said that model X and S orders have increased. As of last quarter, model X order has surpassed the S. The scenario when model X order increases but model S doesn't still hold true of what he said. In addition, 85kwh has been software capped to be 75kwh in Europe (not yet in US), so potentially that could be the next upgrade we might get later this year. During yesterday quarter meeting, he also noted that what ever cost reduction in model S and X will go back to customers as well which probably has been seen on April (Model S price was lower) and the performance boost on July.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger

Elon said that they are working on S and X to keep up with the tech of the Model 3. And he also said that due to improvements there are additional savings in the S and X production and they will pass it on to customers.

I mostly agree but have you drive a P85+ I went from a 2010 M5 to my P85+ and feel it was an upgrade. But all the other Teslas I have driven (as loaners) have made me feel like I was driving a FAST Camry.

Yes, the P85+ had an excellent, sports suspension that justified the higher price. Back then a P85+ was around $30,000 more than a standard, non-performance model. Today the price difference is higher, but with a normal suspension.

Seems like they will rather lower the price than adding any big updates, although they sem to want to.match the 3 when it comes to lacking features. From a Reddit call summary:

Capex on S and X is minor, but there is continued improvement to keep pace with Model 3. Deepak notes they are continued to improve on cost reduction, Elon says that they will be passing some of those on to customers.

I hope that's true. If they can narrow the gap in price, I think that's a good thing.

I don't think it's just the P85+. I have an early-vintage P85D, where the suspension tuning was like the P85+. It's a great car on twisty country roads, and amazing considering the weight. I'll never understand why they softened the suspension of P models.

I believe P85Ds produced prior to a certain date (April 2015?) had the P85+ bits. Some even had staggered wheels, if I remember correctly.

We're talking about Elon here. He'll find a way to qualify the word "increasing". If Tesla sold just one Model S per week after the Model S delivery event, its Model S sales would still be technically increasing. ;)

Hooks for clothes? Well, case closed better car :rolleyes: My 911R doesn't have hooks for clothes what a piece of crap.

:cool:

IMG_6937.JPG

Man I'm itching to pull the trigger on an S 100D, but I just cant. It's just not good value for the money...they really need to spice things up soon.

I feel exactly as you do—I really want an S 100D. Yet, I just cannot bring myself to pay $23k more for an increase of just 25 kWh of battery when the same increase used to cost only $10k (S60 -> S85), and now only costs $9k for the same increase in the Model 3. Yet, I really want >300 miles of range. This paralyzes me from committing, and I sit waiting, hoping, that Tesla will rectify this ridiculous discrepancy.

Reactions: Nda721
Bottom line. Anyone who buys a tesla now, that can wait, is not being smart.

2 times to wait for.

Non employees owning 3s

After OCT 15 (see AP 1 and AP2 release dates). That's 15 days after end of quarter and gives factory their one week shut down time.

Tesla's engraining in customers minds to wait. So wait.

Wait for:
Interior refresh
AP 2.5
Battery changes (85, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.