Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to me that Tesla is sitting on some amazing tech given the recent Roadster announcement. We can certainly expect a larger battery pack for the Model S between now and 2020 at the very least...hopefully sooner than later.

Kinda crazy to me that all these announcements are happening, the model 3 being better in some ways than the S....and the S continuing to not get any love when it comes to updates.
the 3 is the bread and butter now....power in numbers!! so the 3 is all the rage at this point and is so close to the s model IN ALL WAYS except price that its no reason tesla is focusing on the model 3 at this point. The roadster is a teaser to suck in the supercar following with $$$$$$...but not many will get a 250k roadster as will get a 35-50k model3.
The s and x are kind of in limbo now. The y is supposedly coming and it will likely take away from the x buyers in the end but the s was used to get initial investments and $$$ from us buyers because not alot of variety existed. Still doesnt in some ways but now people are willing to wait even a year or so before spending 70+k on the s because they know now how tesla works and runs things and noone wants to buy a car and 2 weeks later see the same car for les$$ and more options included as well as better this and that which will hurt resale value.We have all seen it firsthand and many just dont like it but its how tesla IS so now new buyers reading these forums are much wiser to it.

70-140k is nothing to sneeze at for the majority of people i know. Thats why many will take the chance with the m3 at 1/2-1/3 the price still knowing how tesla IS....and at this point will actually have a"better" tech car then the s in many many ways...i mean i would expect that as it is the newest tesla right? S has to play catchup now to make people part with that extra $$$ and jump into an s.

Is this thread dead? I'm guessing if no more rumors have turned up by now, then a range and interior update was all inaccurate speculation?

Can't really expect any kind of range update to the Model S until Tesla has their 2170 cell production sorted out (i.e. solves the problems at the Gigafactory). And even then, you have to heavily ramp up Model 3 production first, or investors will run for the hills (the Model 3 uses 2170 cells).

So I'd give it at least 6 months. And in the end, only Elon and his inner circle know for sure. :oops:

(If it makes you feel any better, I'm waiting for a refresh/update before I buy, so I'm more on pins and needles about this than anyone).

Can't really expect any kind of range update to the Model S until Tesla has their 2170 cell production sorted out (i.e. solves the problems at the Gigafactory). And even then, you have to heavily ramp up Model 3 production first, or investors will run for the hills (the Model 3 uses 2170 cells).

So I'd give it at least 6 months. And in the end, only Elon and his inner circle know for sure. :oops:

(If it makes you feel any better, I'm waiting for a refresh/update before I buy, so I'm more on pins and needles about this than anyone).

In the same boat waiting for the upgrade but as I and others have stated before it is definitely slated for 2nd quarter of 2018 and no hoping or praying is going to change that. If anything if there are problems with model 3 production or the gigafactory I can see this stretching out later into the 3rd quarter. But my source says it’s in the works most definitely. The only question is the exact release date.

Is this thread dead? I'm guessing if no more rumors have turned up by now, then a range and interior update was all inaccurate speculation?
Eventually there will be an update, and people on the thread will feel like they were right (even if imminent turns out to be a year or two later). If you are sitting on pins and needles, wait till January and see. No way Tesla will introduce a major refresh with pending deliveries which they need for the quarter and/or year for their balance sheets. Major updates usually come first month of a quarter. This is so they don't end up with people cancelling deliveries because they want the new feature. If that happens early on in the quarter, they can allow people to forego their deposits, order a new one still for the same quarter, and sell the old spec produced car at a discount. Notice that Tesla sales numbers are almost always lowest in the first month of each quarter (Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard) - safest time for them to make changes.

Hardly. The speculation is, Tesla will take whatever they learned with Model 3 to Model S/X. This has yet to happen, so the extent of it can not be assessed. IMO the timeline always included at least Q1/2018.

I would accept, though, that if nothing major happens in Q1/2018 regarding the interior, then we got the timeline speculation wrong. Q2/2018 would already be delayed compared to the speculation.

It already seems Tesla's Model 3 battery issues could delay 2170 upgrade to Model S/X, though that IMO was always slated for a little later in the speculation, compared to interior, which has been considered imminent. Model S/X 2170 seems unlikely for Q1/2018, which previously I considered perhaps the earlierst possible quarter for that.

As for range updates in general, the 85 kWh update still seems possible sooner, but that depends on Model 3 sales ramping up I guess...

Reactions: henderrj
Well mine is due for delivery early March, so expect a refresh shortly after that.

Mine too. Are you in the UK?

I ordered on the day the finance rate went up from 1.5 to 2.5% and managed to get them to agree to honour the lower rate. The day before, delivery was slated for December. The day I ordered, the delivery changed to end of Feb/early March. Our cars are going to be the first cars to be made in January. My thinking is that the finance rate went up to cover the cost of the updated, higher capacity batteries they’re going to contain ;)

Mine too. Are you in the UK?

I ordered on the day the finance rate went up from 1.5 to 2.5% and managed to get them to agree to honour the lower rate. The day before, delivery was slated for December. The day I ordered, the delivery changed to end of Feb/early March. Our cars are going to be the first cars to be made in January. My thinking is that the finance rate went up to cover the cost of the updated, higher capacity batteries they’re going to contain ;)

I ordered September 27 but asked that delivery be deferred to end Q1 2018 just because Nov/Dec/Jan is so hectic. And besides it'll be nice to have a 'treat' in those dark end Q1/start Q2 months. Seems that unless I'd wanted delivery this month then Feb/March would be inevitable for a new custom order.

New batteries would be fun. Though I suspect that if there are any changes that they'll be in the next batch . It'll be a great car irrespective.

... it is definitely slated for 2nd quarter of 2018 ... if there are problems with model 3 production or the gigafactory I can see this stretching out later into the 3rd quarter. But my source says it’s in the works most definitely. The only question is the exact release date.

Does you source mention both interior and battery upgrades/refresh, or just interior? Is he reputable and still stands by this? (and does his name start with "Elon"? LOL).

If he's legit, I'll wait. 6 months will go fast. Thanks

I believe he is reliable. He also mentioned the sub 2 second time a week before the semi reveal but would not let on weather it was for an S or my guess for the next roadster. He won’t give me details on any new battery configurations but says prepare to be wowed by the interior upgrade. I can’t wait
Does you source mention both interior and battery upgrades/refresh, or just interior? Is he reputable and still stands by this? (and does his name start with "Elon"? LOL).

If he's legit, I'll wait. 6 months will go fast. Thanks

I believe he is reliable. He also mentioned the sub 2 second time a week before the semi reveal but would not let on weather it was for an S or my guess for the next roadster. He won’t give me details on any new battery configurations but says prepare to be wowed by the interior upgrade. I can’t wait

Goddammit. I can't possibly wait, far too excited for that, but I'm going to be devastated if I miss the refresh :(

Status
Not open for further replies.