Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed! We ordered ours last month, and pick it up on Tuesday.

After more than 8 years of driving electric, I can't imagine being without one. I can see people that already have one waiting to upgrade; but for people that are still driving an ICE, upgrading sooner rather than later seems like a far bigger win.

• Love
Reactions: PrGrPa and croman
Personally I don’t see a HUD coming to tesla. For a company betting on autonomous driving who just got rid of the instrument cluster in the model 3 and is using middle touchscreen instead. Just don’t see it. But that’s just my opinion.

The Model 3 is the Ford of Tesla. It's not meant to be Tesla's best car.

And if Tesla were to get rid of the instrument cluster in the S/X, then that's even more reason to install a HUD, no?

Reactions: henderrj
I keep making the case and remininding of old links that make the case for the HUD:

The HUD Case - Mockup of what could be

I'm not sure how certain I'd rate the HUD rumor. I mean, it could be something Tesla entertained and abandoned, for example.

But IMO it just makes sense and would fit with the Tesla idea.

To me abandoning the IC seems as easily proof of HUD (easier to abandon it when you're going HUD) as it is of the contrary...

i would like to see tesla expand the s model to offer a 2 door coupe and a convertible 2 door coupe. I mean why not? Not everyone wants a small roadster or can afford it or need the speed and range. I can see this down the road built on the same frame basically as the s just diff body types. Then the pricing can be more dynamic.

Reactions: FutureShock
For all the HUD believers, did any of you see what the interior of the new Roadster looked like? It's dash looked like a Model 3 minimalist styled one, but with a slim, not very tall display (like, one line of text tall) in the "vent" area. It's the blurry illuminated one are right above the steering wheel shaft in the top left of the picture below. If they were going HUD, I don't think they would have gone down this path on the Roadster.

tesla-roadster-steering-wheel.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: croman
For all the HUD believers, did any of you see what the interior of the new Roadster looked like? It's dash looked like a Model 3 minimalist styled one, but with a slim, not very tall display (like, one line of text tall) in the "vent" area. It's the blurry illuminated one are right above the steering wheel shaft in the top left of the picture below. If they were going HUD, I don't think they would have gone down this path on the Roadster.

I did. However, could be two things: could be something for the prototype (that does not have a HUD). Or could be an idea Tesla is thinking of doing for those drivers who don't opt for an optional HUD - or who wish to disable it.

I think the HUD rumors add up. That doesn't necessarily mean Tesla will go ahead with it, they might not, but IMO there is certainly a chance they will - all the AR hires, the spaceship comments, the rumors about the HUD size etc. There's been a lot.

More updates coming ... Tesla is planning a major navigation update ‘light-years ahead’ of current system, says Elon Musk
For months now, we have been reporting on Tesla’s new map and navigation modules that they are testing for an upcoming overhaul of their system. Today, CEO Elon Musk acknowledged the update, which he hyped as “light-years ahead of the current system.”

Back in July, we reported that Tesla is working on revamping its maps and navigation system with its own maps using new open source modules from MapBox and Valhalla. The new map system called ‘Tesla Maps’ was discovered by our Tesla hacker friend verygreen who was able to enable it in his car and gave us our first look at Tesla’s new map system. Last month, we came out with another report after he discovered a new map module in Tesla’s recent 2017.44 software update called ‘Vector Maps’. The main difference seems that it enables a significantly more important zoom and smoother engine. Today, Musk mentioned some upcoming “cool software updates”:
upload_2017-12-21_19-24-34.png

It will be enabled just after the new browser is ready, which was promised, what, two years ago?

So... New maps in 2021!

Forgot about that. It was a full year ago that we were expecting 8.1 with the new Kernel update, new browser and ability to exit expressways with AP1. A YEAR. A full freaking YEAR and nothing from him. Nadda. I have nothing but deep admiration for the guy but that kind of execution is just unacceptable. People dropping 100k for cars will only deal with the quirkiness for so long.

Reactions: croman
Status
Not open for further replies.