Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Their website has just been a mess all weekend. I hope that is because of all the interest from people reading reports about the Beta and checking it out.

@Citizen-T - I think you're correct. I was not able to access the Model S "Features" section all day Sunday. I believe the site is being experiencing unprecedented high traffic.

At the event there were many tables of screens where visitors could play with the design studio and browse the website. I didn't stop there, but it looked very busy, that was probably adding to the traffic.

@NigelM - I'm very glad to hear that. I put $40K down sight unseen. I test drove a Roadster after I reserved the Model S, which made me more than satisfied. I wish I could buy a Roadster, but my wife and I have our first child on the way (February). So, the Model S will be the family car. So, the Model S was (almost) as fun to ride as your Roadster? Would you say the Model S is the more ideal car given its infotainment/touchscreen, seating, panoramic roof, etc.? :)

No car can be ideal for everything. I'm keeping my Roadster (my wife says it's mine so long as she gets the Model S!) but the Model S is infinitely more practical. I'm incapable of imagining a more fun "family" car. Wait "fun" doesn't do it justice...it was an orgy of coolness!

I speculate that they are having the Friends/Family/Roadster Owner's jump the line In other words, I'd speculate that there is only one Signature List. And since NigelM owns a Roadster (and now reserved a Signature), you are now at your highest position. In other words, I don't believe 10% of Roadster owners have reserved Signatures. But I could be completely wrong.

Yes, there is a separate Signature Special List. This has been pointed out several times on this thread. It consists of Roadster owners who reserve a Signature Model S.

I did not initially reserve a Model S because of the early indication that the 300 mile would not be immediately available and I was also hoping for an AWD version. When I spoke with Tesla about the Signature list early this year they told me as a Roadster owner I was guaranteed an early Signature if I elected to reserve one. At that time less then half the Signatures were allocated. In April of this year I reserved and received # 147 of the Signature Special list.

As NigelM's upgraded reservation shows the SS list is now at 183. I expect both lists to jump this week. The question is will the Signature list be filled this week?

No car can be ideal for everything. I'm keeping my Roadster (my wife says it's mine so long as she gets the Model S!) but the Model S is infinitely more practical. I'm incapable of imagining a more fun "family" car. Wait "fun" doesn't do it justice...it was an orgy of coolness!

Poor choice of words on my part. I know there is not a more ideal. I should have said practical. From your (or anyone else's) experience with the Roadster, does anyone believe the Signatures will be delivered prior to July 1, 2012? In other words, do you think Elon/Tesla is under promising and over delivering?

Yes. May 2012 for the first cars is my guess.

That's my hope (or early June), but some casual comments (like, "we've still got more than a year") leave me a bit concerned. Some engineers were stating production would BEGIN in June, which would likely leave first deliveries out 2 months or so.

Another person mentioned that many of the people on the list would be 2013 deliveries. I can't see that if they start deliveries in June. They should be able to do at least 3000 by the end of the year no?

They've very consistently (well, in the last year) been saying middle of 2012 or Summer 2012. Given July 1st is the exact middle, I'm not expecting any customer deliveries before then. The factory pictures were impressive, but the sheer number of calibrations they'll have to get right on the massive number of robots is staggering. I can believe it'll take months and months to get it running smoothly.

Did anyone else hear about someone from Iceland that put a deposit down for 100 cars on Saturday? (No, not a typo.) I heard this from two employees, so it'll be interesting to see what happens to the European reservation list...

We shouldn't forget that there will be a curve in the volume production, it won't go from a standing start to 100 cars a day. That's why I believe the first ones will be out in early summer and we will probably see significant daily volume from about July on. That makes sense.

Another person mentioned that many of the people on the list would be 2013 deliveries. I can't see that if they start deliveries in June. They should be able to do at least 3000 by the end of the year no?

There are 6,700 on the thread tally so far. Producing 3,000 by year end will still mean that 60% of the current known reservations will be delivered in 2013. I hope they produce a lot more than 3,000 by year end.

We shouldn't forget that there will be a curve in the volume production, it won't go from a standing start to 100 cars a day. That's why I believe the first ones will be out in early summer and we will probably see significant daily volume from about July on. That makes sense.

The lady who gave us our factory tour said that they have 90 days from now to order the materials and hire the right number of people to start producing betas at the factory (the ones we rode in were hand-assembled of course). After that, within 9 months from now (yes, I heard that over and over from employees), real cars would be coming out off the line. Yup, July-August, it sounds like.

Did anyone else hear about someone from Iceland that put a deposit down for 100 cars on Saturday? (No, not a typo.) I heard this from two employees, so it'll be interesting to see what happens to the European reservation list...

I have heard Iceland associated with large Model S orders before.

For instance,
Exclusive: Iceland entrepreneurs on fast track for electric car revolution | MNN - Mother Nature Network
...According to Even founder Gisli Gislason, major banks, the national postal service, a leading phone company, and five municipalities have signed onto the plan, which will launch formally in a few months when it has 100 signatories. Gislason is also signing up cars for resale in Iceland, and has a standing order for 1,000 Tesla Model S models, which hit the road in 2012. Gislason bought the first Tesla Roadster delivered in Europe, and it was on display at the conference...

Yes! I heard that he wrote out a check for $500,000 on the hood of the car, right after his test drive.

Well I gave the nice lady in the store my check for a Signature Edition upgrade. :cool:

-1 she said I probably won't get my reservation number until Thursday at the earliest. :frown:
+1 she said that she didn't think they were close to hitting the ceiling because "corporate" is pretty good about letting them know when that is happening. :smile:

Congratulations Mycroft! BTW, I handed my check over on Saturday night about 9.15pm and received my number via e-mail at 8.56pm on Sunday; just less than 24 hours.

P.S. After writing my check I got whisked over to meet George Blankenship and JB Straubel; wonder what the Icelandic guy got?

Very cool Nigel! Fortunately for you, you were already at corporate. I have to wait for my check to be Fedex'd down to them and then for them to process it. :frown:

I'll be just as happy with my general production model. sniff sniff. Sure, just as happy.

My only condolence is that everyone else outside of Cali. who can't wire in the funds is in the same boat. I would have wired it in, but the funds were spread out over three different accounts.

Congrats again. Also interesting that the Friday total on this thread was 501. I wonder if the 1000 Sigs includes the 510 on this tally plus the Sig Specials of 183 plus the 199 non-US international? That would make 719 (that we know about!) so far.....

Anyone know what is included in which numbers?

Last edited: