Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 85D is ordered!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shipping to QLD... if all goes to plan I will have it Thursday, or Friday at the latest. I thought about going down to pick it up, but I wouldnt get it here much quicker, and I'd want to get the paint protection on it before I do a long drive in it.

Very very nice, even with the green tape. Good idea about getting paint protection on asap...so many chips on my old car that had no protection. Which protection & dash cams have you decided on? Great devices for recording all those scenic drives automatically.

Very very nice, even with the green tape. Good idea about getting paint protection on asap...so many chips on my old car that had no protection. Which protection & dash cams have you decided on? Great devices for recording all those scenic drives automatically.

Dashcam is Blackvue, and paint protection is either Opticoat or Gtechniq... jury is still out, but I'll decide this week before the car arrives. Window tinting I'm going to try it without first and then decide.

Does Opti-Coat change the colour of the car? For example, does it make it shiny?

I'm not the best person to answer as I havent had it done yet, but on the cars I've seen it does not impact the shine or otherwise, just seems to bring out what's already there to best effect... Hopefully others will chime in with more direct experience at contrasting with/without.

- - - Updated - - -

Last piece of the charging puzzle arrived today - my Maxicharger. Comes with three current limiting tails: 15A single phase, 20A 3 phase, 32A 3 phase. Was supplied without the Australian plugs (just bare wires). I bought the three plugs from E-Bay and wired them on today. It even comes with a nice carry box. Along with my UMC (for single phase 10A) and EVnomics J1772 adapter, this gives me pretty much every charging combo I could need in Australia except CHAdeMO (virtually none of those on the east coast at this point) and Type 2 - Type 2 (also pretty rare). I think I'm ready for my car, which arrives this week. Hang on, let me say that one more time, my Model S arrives THIS WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!

Maxicharger.jpg

Does Opti-Coat change the colour of the car? For example, does it make it shiny?
initially it gives a deeper lustre, which is hard to notice on light colours. Kind of more depth. Most of that is attributed to a good opticoat operator removing all of the factory scratches that you think you can't see. Place a bright halogen floodlight over your rear right wheel arch and you might get a surprise!

- - - Updated - - -

Thnx PaulP - just ordered some Poorboys. I'll give it a go. Such a pain to do the tires.
Just to be clear its for the wheels not the tyres. Dborn is correct with opticoating the wheels too, and optimum make a special self applied tyre coating that needs about 3 or 4 coats to transform your tyres into a soft sticky sportscar look. They too then washup with water. Enjoy your poorboys though, no comparison to those ineffective car store products.

I've got my car booked in for the same thing (Gtechniq crystal serum + EXO) next Monday, except the window tint. I'm going to see how it is without first.

Did you order the Maxicharger stright from the French website? Was it difficult to order in with the three tails (plugless)?

I emailed them about it and all communications were in English, so no problems. I think I am the second one to order the tails without plugs, so that was no problem either. They also provide it set up for AU voltage and with a 15A option to match what we have.

i believe Tim from EVnomics is looking to distribute them locally, so worth checking with him too.

I emailed them about it and all communications were in English, so no problems. I think I am the second one to order the tails without plugs, so that was no problem either. They also provide it set up for AU voltage and with a 15A option to match what we have.

i believe Tim from EVnomics is looking to distribute them locally, so worth checking with him too.

Cool thanks. Definitely the way to go to get full coverage of most charging scenarios