Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New AutoPilot is horrible after update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife's 2020 Honda CR-V has LKA and TACC and it's way better than my Tesla Autopilot and has been for sometime. Why? Because from the get-go Honda (and others) has had no leeway for the kind of behaviors that the OP is describing. Aka, taking your eyes off the road, taking your hands off the wheel and texting. Consumer Reports now ranks Tesla 7th in automated driving for this very reason. Hopefully this recall gets users to finally take note that the tech is still at the point where you have to pay attention ALL of the time.

Beginning 2024 Jan. California approved a 5 year pilot program to place speed cameras on the streets of SF, Oakland, San Jose, LA, Glendale and Long Beach. A camera with a license plate reader will automatically send a speeding ticket to your house.

So no more 80 mph taking a curve hands off the steering wheel! 😂

Traveling at 90 mph in a carpool lane on autopilot is an accident waiting to happen. You are only a couple feet from center barriers, and have a high speed delta between your car, and those in the standard lanes.

Strange to see such an entitled post on this forum.

Autopilot is not designed to maintain extra-legal speeds in carpool lanes. It simply is not precise enough to react to any eventuality in such a low tolerance constricted space.

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands on the wheel.

Traveling at 90 mph in a carpool lane on autopilot is an accident waiting to happen. You are only a couple feet from center barriers, and have a high speed delta between your car, and those in the standard lanes.

Strange to see such an entitled post on this forum.

Autopilot is not designed to maintain extra-legal speeds in carpool lanes. It simply is not precise enough to react to any eventuality in such a low tolerance constricted space.

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands on the wheel.
The Doors, great way to start the day!

No it's not, people are doing the same with old cars that has no system - they just check their phones or text while driving.
We, the normal drivers, know when it's safe to do so - like wide road with no pedestrians and cars in sight, no intersections etc.
Yeap, ppl were n will be texting while driving or distracted in general... nothing will change (u can still drive the car as u wish w/o AP lol)
I'd rather have experienced texters going 80 vs paying attention dummies that don't know how to merge, keep up with traffic or hoging left lane...

Beginning 2024 Jan. California approved a 5 year pilot program to place speed cameras on the streets of SF, Oakland, San Jose, LA, Glendale and Long Beach. A camera with a license plate reader will automatically send a speeding ticket to your house.

So no more 80 mph taking a curve hands off the steering wheel! 😂
And thats why u have crazy traffic jams lol
They should use those cameras to ticket ppl going under speed limit 🙄

yet another reason for traffic jams
its the slow lane driver's responsibility to pull out safely (if they need to)

PS. go ahead n throw ur dislikes 😂

Ignoring all replies that driver should always pay attention and nag is good. (And I guess you will be also for the change like tesla baning you from autopilot for a week if you roll through stop sign or drive with a speed exceeding the limit by 1mph, because neither is legal and if you against it you shouldn't be driving as driving 100mph in school zone is absolutely unsafe)

I don't know a single car where their "autopilot" (adaptive CC and lane keep assist) can ban you from using it for a week (or even the rest of drive). The most severe I've seen so far - it just disengages. While those system are perfectly capable to keep steering for a few seconds for you (and situation where it's safe to do so, as with speed limit - I bet you all drive 5-10 above on roads with minimal traffic and not 50 above in the school zone).
While those system (specifically the latest from Toyota, Lexus, VW, Audi, BMW) are perfectly good alternative to a standard autopilot. Autopilot is still better in some cases, but in those cases, you better hold your wheel with 2 hands anyways, so it doesn't actually matter IRL.

Where I find the unfairness - if a crash happens with a car with "lane assist + ACC" turned on - it's not even mentioned. But if a basic autopilot is engaged - there is a media hysteria and screams to "do something"

This results in that I wouldn't even consider or recommend tesla for their autopilot - I would pick any other car that won't ban me for the occasional miss use (where safe) or false positives (like it ask me to jiggle the steering wheel while on a curve where I don't want to wobble a car as it's unsafe and by curve exit I'm already banned for the rest of the trip).

I drive Model Y and will continue to do so (unless it start nagging me to death) despite of autopilot limitations, not found in other cars.

PS: For all those super right drivers that never done anything against a law, I mean situation like this for example:

1703193564299.png

You're in a traffic jam for 30-60 minutes that drives 0-7mph, will you REALLY sit there like this all the time?:

1703193665918.png

(because you have to have attention all the time like if a kid jumps in, and have hands prepared to make an avoidance maneuver, absolutely all the time, right?)

And won't even glance on the phone or like pick it up to turn on your favorite podcast or music?

If so - instead of trashing how I'm wrong etc. just upload a 1-2 hour video where you are doing exactly that, I just don't know anyone who do that and want to see with my own eyes.

And I guess you will be also for the change like tesla baning you from autopilot for a week if you roll through stop sign or drive with a speed exceeding the limit by 1mph, because neither is legal and if you against it you shouldn't be driving as driving 100mph in school zone is absolutely unsafe
I think you'll be banned if you are disengaged five times. It's OK. Some will learn the systems, some will figure out a cheat, others won't or will refuse to learn how to use, others won't use the systems and will drive without and still others will buy different cars. Like one member says ... to each their own.

@Handsome Jack,

You are making some valid points, and some unfair exaggerations. I agree that being locked out for a week seems excessive, although I understand you have to work pretty hard to earn that lockout. I also agree that exceeding the limit by 1mph is not the same as exceeding it by 100mph.

To be clear, though, I absolutely do not exceed the speed limit by any amount through a school zone. It's a speed limit, not a suggestion.

In slow-crawling traffic, I do keep a hand on the wheel and do pay attention. Having near misses from people looking at their phones while crawling forward (and the line of traffic has stopped), I wish everyone would wait until they were stationary before taking their eyes off the road.

Where I live, we can be fined over $1000 for touching our phone at all unless we are parked. That's an excessive rule because people couldn't be trusted to restrict themselves to a quick check of their phone when stopped at the lights.

And then we have people who think it is ok to send a text at highway speeds. Not on the same road as me, please.

Hands on the wheel (nag) varies by speed. In your example of 0-7MPH traffic jam, you can take your hands off the wheel for upwards of 2 minutes, then just wiggle slightly to satisfy the prompt. You must keep looking forward though - looking away for 5-7 seconds or so will prompt you to pay attention. As you increase your speed, the nags will increase, with freeway speeds (65MPH) prompting you every 20-30 seconds. Since this is an L2 system, meaning the driver is in full control, you can speed up to the maximum of AP/FSD Beta, which is 85MPH. There is no penalty at this time for going over the speed limit. Satisfying the nag requires very little effort - a single finger of force on the wheel in the opposite direction of the movement will suffice. In your example of a curve, simply supplying slight resistance to the turn is enough. It's enough for me to just put the side of my finger against the outside of the wheel, like a brake pad against a rotor, and let the wheel turn with just some resistance from my finger. Or you can hold the wheel in your palms and let the wheel slide in your palms, like many do when completing a turn and letting the wheel straighten itself by sliding in your hands. If the system is disengaging because of your torque, you're applying way too much force, or you have a hardware problem with the torque sensor.

My software version: 2023.44.30.2

I expected the hater comment to my OP, telling me to have my hands on wheels at ALL times, no texting. I suppose those that said that must never txt or let go of the wheel in their Tesla on AP. That’s good, I’m glad u are driving safe.

I agree, in general, it’s not safe to drive without hands on the wheel. I also agree texting and driving is unsafe.

However, I have been using AP without any issues for almost 6 years. Over 100k miles driven.

I never look away from the road ahead of me for prolonged periods of time. Usually, it’s a short few seconds

I understand the limitations of AP rather well.

I also drive on AP on the same roads daily to work and back. I am very familiar with the roads, the possible areas of concern during the road/traffic conditions/ trouble areas for AP etc.

I drive 95% of time on AP in HOV or Toll Lane, where there is a wall to my left and usually there no cars to my right.

For context: If one was driving 65 mph in the middle lane, during a lot of traffic, I would say that driver should never take hands off wheel and no texting while on AP.

Context of using AP matters a lot.

On a positive note: I am taking this opportunity to pay more attention while in AP, be more alert and more often hands on wheel and much less looking at phone while on AP.

My software version: 2023.44.30.2

I expected the hater comment to my OP, telling me to have my hands on wheels at ALL times, no texting. I suppose those that said that must never txt or let go of the wheel in their Tesla on AP. That’s good, I’m glad u are driving safe.

I agree, in general, it’s not safe to drive without hands on the wheel. I also agree texting and driving is unsafe.

However, I have been using AP without any issues for almost 6 years. Over 100k miles driven.

I never look away from the road ahead of me for prolonged periods of time. Usually, it’s a short few seconds

I understand the limitations of AP rather well.

I also drive on AP on the same roads daily to work and back. I am very familiar with the roads, the possible areas of concern during the road/traffic conditions/ trouble areas for AP etc.

I drive 95% of time on AP in HOV or Toll Lane, where there is a wall to my left and usually there no cars to my right.

For context: If one was driving 65 mph in the middle lane, during a lot of traffic, I would say that driver should never take hands off wheel and no texting while on AP.

Context of using AP matters a lot.

On a positive note: I am taking this opportunity to pay more attention while in AP, be more alert and more often hands on wheel and much less looking at phone while on AP.
It's not that everyone's saying you're the only one that ever looks at your phones or sends a quick text while driving. The point is that you can't blame Tesla OR FSD/AP for enforcing that the driver pay attention. It has not only been mandated by NHTSA, but also helps reduce Tesla's liability when accidents do happen.

In your example of 0-7MPH traffic jam, you can take your hands off the wheel for upwards of 2 minutes, then just wiggle slightly to satisfy the prompt. You must keep looking forward though - looking away for 5-7 seconds or so will prompt you to pay attention. As you increase your speed, the nags will increase, with freeway speeds (65MPH) prompting you every 20-30 seconds.

Maybe I'm the exception, but I tested this carefully yesterday on 2023.44.30.2 and I was able to go 2 minutes between nags at highway speed (65-75 mph).

In the mountains on I70 at night no less!

I was expecting a really aggressive nag every 20-30 seconds but it was the same as (or longer!) than previous FSD Beta releases from the past year.