Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New button to enable FSD Beta download?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just in the process of driving? Any links?
Yeah, just in the process of driving, here's one, it was posted here. There are a lot of examples posted in the various threads around here; it happens frequently. To me I would say it typically happens in situations where a very careless human driver would also hit the curb. This should not be a surprise to anyone; it's pretty much inevitable that this would happen!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: stopcrazypp
I wonder how to interpret this latest Elon tweet. It seems to me very unlikely that there will be a button appearing in the next week (as promised).

But, beyond that, in April, it's not clear to me that there will be a button, either. That was not mentioned in the latest tweet!

I'm assuming that the people they added to the Beta did not get it via the button route. But I don't know.

It was perhaps too much to hope for. I guess we will see in April. Or maybe May. Or June.

I wonder how to interpret this latest Elon tweet. It seems to me very unlikely that there will be a button appearing in the next week (as promised).

But, beyond that, in April, it's not clear to me that there will be a button, either. That was not mentioned in the latest tweet!

I'm assuming that the people they added to the Beta did not get it via the button route. But I don't know.

It was perhaps too much to hope for. I guess we will see in April. Or maybe May. Or June.
Optimistically, it could be that the button will show up with 8.3 in the next week. But the next major release won’t be until April (version 9). This would still be consistent with previous tweets.

But let’s be real, when has being optimistic with Elon’s tweet timelines ever paid off haha

Haha. I assume it's like any of the other options, and it can be toggled on and off along with all the agreements that come with it.

But how does Tesla know that a beta tester is not paying attention to the road?

With the current interior camera for the 3 and Y and maybe the newly refreshed S and X now should have it too?

Or is it because there's a certain number of nagging warnings counts?

Yeah, just in the process of driving, here's one, it was posted here. There are a lot of examples posted in the various threads around here; it happens frequently. To me I would say it typically happens in situations where a very careless human driver would also hit the curb. This should not be a surprise to anyone; it's pretty much inevitable that this would happen!

Ouch, but the poster didn't mention if there was any damage or stop to check it seems. I'm guessing incidents like this Tesla wouldn't be aware of as it doesn't meet the threshold for accident reporting.

Ouch, but the poster didn't mention if there was any damage or stop to check it seems. I'm guessing incidents like this Tesla wouldn't be aware of as it doesn't meet the threshold for accident reporting.
I’m 99% sure Tesla knows the FSD Beta will hit curbs. But Elon might not know I suppose. Probably he just doesn’t count it as an accident.

I’ll go with nagging message counts for $100, Alex.

THat's a garbage metric. I get them all the time with my hand on the wheel, because while I have a solid grip and I'm ready to take over faster than the people with the ill-advised bottom grip, there's very little torque on the wheel because I have my elbow on the window sill.

Their use of the torque sensor is just one of the questionable decisions that have been made because they thought FSD would be a reality much sooner than it turned out.

Reactions: LowlyOilBurner

if you paid attention to Elon's FSD tweet last week, you would see that the FSD beta button is still on track for next week. Elon specifically said that the existing beta build would expand by 1K. (that occurred today). That is FSD beta 8.2. None of the existing beta testers (WholeMars, K10, DirtyTesa..etc) have tweeted since their FSD build is 8.2, which is the same build as what was sent today.

FSD beta V8.3 has already been placed into internal QA. Beta version 8.3 is the FSD beta that will be sent to FSD enabled Teslas in the US sometime next week.

The major FSD step will be V9 which releases in April.

Optimistically, it could be that the button will show up with 8.3 in the next week. But the next major release won’t be until April (version 9). This would still be consistent with previous tweets.

But let’s be real, when has being optimistic with Elon’s tweet timelines ever paid off haha

As of late, everything Elon has tweeted has been 100% accurate to the T.

if you paid attention to Elon's FSD tweet last week, you would see that the FSD beta button is still on track for next week. Elon specifically said that the existing beta build would expand by 1K. (that occurred today). That is FSD beta 8.2. None of the existing beta testers (WholeMars, K10, DirtyTesa..etc) have tweeted since their FSD build is 8.2, which is the same build as what was sent today.

FSD beta V8.3 has already been placed into internal QA. Beta version 8.3 is the FSD beta that will be sent to FSD enabled Teslas in the US sometime next week.

The major FSD step will be V9 which releases in April.

You may be right, that could be consistent. If we’re lucky we will get some follow-up clarification.

But yes, it could be:
8.2 - 2k
8.3 - Button 10k+ (not a “significant release”)
9.0 - Pure vision (April? - but of course could be May or June, depending)

I guess we will see.

Last edited:
You may be right, that could be consistent. If we’re lucky we will get some follow-up clarification.

But yes, it could be:
8.2 - 2k
8.3 - Button 10k+ (not a “significant release”)
9.0 - Pure vision (April? - but of course could be May or June, depending)

I guess we will see.

I'm confused by how 1000+ fixes in 8.3 is not a significant release.

Seems pretty significant to me.

I'm confused by how 1000+ fixes in 8.3 is not a significant release.

Seems pretty significant to me.
It's definitely not as significant as a move to "pure vision!" I think in a single minor revision of a piece of software it's not unusual to have thousands of changes - though I'm not a software engineer (more the customer) and am just accustomed to paging through hundreds of patches in a given release.

If we’re lucky we will get some follow-up clarification.

Unfortunately it looks like Elon is too busy today spreading FUD about the COVID-19 vaccine. 🤷‍♂️

Hitting curbs can have different results: From minor scratches to all the way to a blown tire.

A car shouldn't hit a curb but since it's still beta, we'll just have to pay attention at each turn and override the steering to avoid the curbs as needed.

But how does Tesla know that a beta tester is not paying attention to the road?

With the current interior camera for the 3 and Y and maybe the newly refreshed S and X now should have it too?

Or is it because there's a certain number of nagging warnings counts?
If you let it curb your alloys you weren't paying attention.

If you let it curb your alloys you weren't paying attention.

In the video, the Youtuber seemed to be very attentive as he described in real-time how it did hit the curbs in the past, so this time it is extra cautious by making an extra wide right turn this time, and still, it still hit the curb this time again and he said "that sucks".

That means the FSD beta skill level is just like the "smart summon" in its job of avoiding hitting curbs.

And what does that mean regarding how much improved the system has advanced in Radar? Vision? Sonars?

Does that mean if we want the system to avoid hitting the curbs in both smart summon and FSD beta, should we add LIDAR?

Of course, the cheapest way is to skip paying $10,000 and let the driver be more careful manually.